Psience Quest

Full Version: Commentary thread for tim's "NDE's" thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
You know, maybe it's just the seasonal depression talking but sometimes I just feel like I'm not going to survive death. This could go in a number of threads and be relevent, but I was just thinking about NDEs so I posted here. Id love to talk to some actual NDErs about it because they seem to have completely overstepped such doubt
(2018-01-27, 04:07 AM)malf Wrote: [ -> ]Death is a process, it is not a black and white moment.

You're the one framing it as a black and white moment, because NDEs come in different varieties.

Those who have an NDE obviously go through the process of coming close to irreversible death, only to narrowly avoid it by having to return to their body. Those that have an OBE during their NDE get to experience this more intimately than those that don't, because they can actually see the dead body they previously occupied.
(2018-01-27, 06:21 AM)Desperado Wrote: [ -> ]You know, maybe it's just the seasonal depression talking but sometimes I just feel like I'm not going to survive death. This could go in a number of threads and be relevent, but I was just thinking about NDEs so I posted here. Id love to talk to some actual NDErs about it because they seem to have completely overstepped such doubt

If you can't talk to them, you can go half-way and read their accounts, at least. Smile
(2018-01-27, 06:21 AM)Desperado Wrote: [ -> ]You know, maybe it's just the seasonal depression talking but sometimes I just feel like I'm not going to survive death. This could go in a number of threads and be relevent, but I was just thinking about NDEs so I posted here. Id love to talk to some actual NDErs about it because they seem to have completely overstepped such doubt

Feelings can be very deceptive can’t they? I’d say, if you haven’t already, then an open minded look at the body of evidence will give you balance however imho nothing comes near, in ‘value’, to an unequivocal evidential direct personal experience hence the “overstepping of doubt”.. They don’t seem to happen on demand though unfortunately. 

The in personal testimony difficulty for me is that there are so many variables: who is the person reporting it? How far can I trust their recall? How far can I trust their judgement etc.
(2018-01-27, 08:16 AM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Feelings can be very deceptive can’t they? I’d say, if you haven’t already, then an open minded look at the body of evidence will give you balance however imho nothing comes near, in ‘value’, to an unequivocal evidential direct personal experience hence the “overstepping of doubt”.. They don’t seem to happen on demand though unfortunately. 

The in personal testimony difficulty for me is that there are so many variables: who is the person reporting it? How far can I trust their recall? How far can I trust their judgement etc.

I'm not new to the evidence, I just suffer God awful self doubt and anxiety. I consider myself a proponent for sure. For me personally, I don't know if it is the variables of personal testimony are what bothers me but rather the accusations of it's all wishful thinking or coincidence.
(2018-01-27, 01:19 AM)leadville Wrote: [ -> ]Dead is final - no coming back.  Hear stopping doesn't equal death. As he was still around after the event, he wasn't dead.  Ergo "...appeared to be clincally dead." 

Consciousness disappears in both cases but returns in only one of them.   Wink

Leadville said > "Dead is final - no coming back."

I'm so bored of seeing this perennial sceptical mantra which has no basis in fact. Do you so called sceptics never actually read the hundreds of posts where this has been discussed (on Skeptiko) ? Do you not feel any shame, clinging on to tiny perceived loopholes and semantics so you can keep your outdated world view intact ?

Dr Sam Parnia is a recognised expert in resuscitation. He has the blessing of both of the most vocal (and sceptical about NDE's) British psychologists on this subject, French and Blackmore, to carry out his study and report whatever he may find. 

This is what he said recently :

In the vast majority of terminal cases, physicians medically define death based on when the heart no longer beats, said Dr. Sam Parnia, director of critical care and resuscitation research at NYU Langone School of Medicine in New York City.
"Technically speaking, that's how you get the time of death — it's all based on the moment when the heart stops," he told Live Science.

Once that happens, blood no longer circulates to the brain, which means brain function halts "almost instantaneously," Parnia said. "You lose all your brain stem reflexes — your gag reflex, your pupil reflex, all that is gone."

A trajectory of cell death :

The brain's cerebral cortex — the so-called "thinking part" of the brain — also slows down instantly, and flatlines, meaning that no brainwaves are visible on an electric monitor, within 2 to 20 seconds. This initiates a chain reaction of cellular processes that eventually result in the death of brain cells, but that can take hours after the heart has stopped, Parnia said.

Performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation

(CPR) does send some blood to the brain — about 15 per cent of what it requires to function normally, according to Parnia. This is enough to slow the brain cells' death trajectory, but it isn't enough to kick-start the brain into working again, which is why reflexes don't resume during CPR, he said.

https://www.livescience.com/60593-flatli...ation.html

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Death is a process that begins when the heart stops. There is no known absolute marker for how long someone can be dead for and brought back, if their body cells are still viable (meaning they haven't burst). This is a fact, it's not me wanting it to be true.

The crux of the matter is that a person's consciousness is just as absent in the first stage of death (from cardiac arrest) as it is when their head has turned into a ball of maggots. 

Trying to suggest that someone who is lying flat out in cardiac arrest, still has some potential ability to know what is occurring around him/her is frankly, idiotic !
(2018-01-27, 08:52 AM)Desperado Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not new to the evidence, I just suffer God awful self doubt and anxiety. I consider myself a proponent for sure. For me personally, I don't know if it is the variables of personal testimony are what bothers me but rather the accusations of it's all wishful thinking or coincidence.

It doesn't matter to me, Desperado whether or not you believe in a continuation of consciousness, although personally I have no doubt. I would however urge you to look very carefully at what the so called sceptics actually have to say about all this because it amounts to basically nothing.
(2018-01-27, 01:52 AM)Valmar Wrote: [ -> ]Well then ~ apparently, you can come back from death. If people report explicitly floating outside of their bodies, then their bodies must be, for all intents and purposes, truly, fully and clinically dead, no exceptions, and if they are able to report events that their dead bodies obviously cannot sense, then their consciousness does not disappear, because it has merely detached from the dead body. Therefore, consciousness is non-physical, and survives death.

Dead means dead - there's no coming back from death.  Any state from which an individual emerges wasn't death no matter how much it gave the appearance of finality.  Or the word 'dead' needs to be re-defined.
(2018-01-27, 03:17 PM)leadville Wrote: [ -> ]Dead means dead - there's no coming back from death.  Any state from which an individual emerges wasn't death no matter how much it gave the appearance of finality.

Believe whatever you want to believe. You'll be happier that way.
(2018-01-27, 03:17 PM)leadville Wrote: [ -> ]Dead means dead - there's no coming back from death.  Any state from which an individual emerges wasn't death no matter how much it gave the appearance of finality.  Or the word 'dead' needs to be re-defined.

Or is it perhaps you who would like to redefine the word "resurrected"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40