Psience Quest

Full Version: Commentary thread for tim's "NDE's" thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
(2018-05-22, 01:39 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]"It has been almost seven years now but the experience is as fresh as it was then.  Personally, at this stage in my life I am sceptical of an afterlife in general.  I think we probably go back to nothingness after we die - but this is the scientist in me.  But between that NDE and the fact I can believe the universe is self-directing and self-healing I have to say that my belief of nothingness after death may be flawed. 

But I am not convinced (that there is an afterlife). The NDE I had is the only thing I can look to that could convince me of another plane of existence.  The NDE was very real.  I was in surgery for over ten hours.  Thee nurses would tell my wife they and the doctors were doing their best to replace my aorta.  My body was chilled (to 18 degrees C) and I (body, heart & lungs) was on the cardio pulmonary-bypass pump.

I never thought much about trying to make a point or argue one way or another about what happens when we die. I believe I left this world.  Then I got re-stuck back into my body.  I know what happened but am not sure what to make of it.  It was really interesting though.  As for the operating room that was a second phase - one where I'd left the fantasy world I write about above.  The operating room experience was more cold and sterile - I explained it before.  I knew I was going to go back into my body."

I asked this question in another thread that Tim mentioned this case in, but how on Earth could you not be sure you will continue on after death when you've had a experience like Kevin's? As he seems to be on a fence about. 

In my opinion here's a guy who is willing to accept what he saw in his NDE, but he doesn't seem totally aware of the mass literature on survival indictive evidence, or parapsychology in general. As he quite literally says his own experience seems to be all he's aware of and it is all he can answer the question "do you feel there is an afterlife?" off of. 

I feel some people are left to find their enlightenment after the experience, rather then come back completely understanding. Such as Kevin, who saw enough to make him adamant that he left his body, and there is some self correcting like karma to the flow of the universe. 
Yet he has struggled with completely embracing the ideology because it's beyond his or our understanding and teaching. 

I get that vibe a lot from NDErs that ah ha moments aren't meant to always happen quickly.
(2018-05-31, 07:13 PM)Desperado Wrote: [ -> ]I asked this question in another thread that Tim mentioned this case in, but how on Earth could you not be sure you will continue on after death when you've had a experience like Kevin's? As he seems to be on a fence about. 

In my opinion here's a guy who is willing to accept what he saw in his NDE, but he doesn't seem totally aware of the mass literature on survival indictive evidence, or parapsychology in general. As he quite literally says his own experience seems to be all he's aware of and it is all he can answer the question "do you feel there is an afterlife?" off of. 

I feel some people are left to find their enlightenment after the experience, rather then come back completely understanding. Such as Kevin, who saw enough to make him adamant that he left his body, and there is some self correcting like karma to the flow of the universe. 
Yet he has struggled with completely embracing the ideology because it's beyond his or our understanding and teaching. 

I get that vibe a lot from NDErs that ah ha moments aren't meant to always happen quickly.

It's a good question, Desperado. If you can have conscious awareness during a period when your brain is totally non functional, then it could hardly be anything else (IMHO). Kevin's body temperature for this operation was 18 degrees C. This is the apparent protocol (of the operation) because of where the problem is (aorta). It's not the same as a normal heart operation where the heart is stopped but circulation is continued to the brain and other organs via the heart lung machine.

This operation on the ascending aorta (I'm not an expert BTW just what I've picked up) means that blood flow to the brain has to be stopped. And in order to protect the brain cells, cooling is utilised and the head is actually packed in ice.

Kevin is adamant that he was floating around that operating room when his chest was open and believes he saw them cutting and sewing in the Dacron graft which is used to repair this problem (apparently).

However, sceptics will simply say that he has retrospectively confabulated his experience to fill in the blanks of what he couldn't possibly have been aware of. Unless Kevin can recall some specific event that took place when all his vital functions had ceased (that he couldn't have known about) then we can't prove that he actually did see them cutting and sewing inside his open chest.

Personally I accept Kevin's testimony. I have no reason not to. I don't buy retrospective confabulation as a an explanation for veridical OBE's, there's too many verifiable cases now.
[To eliminate confusion after moving this post to the commentary thread, the interview post of tim's to which Ian refers below is this one --Laird]

Damn, tim, that was good enough to be a Psience Quest Interview. Smile
(2018-06-04, 01:29 AM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Damn, tim, that was good enough to be a Psience Quest Interview. Smile

Thanks, Ian. He is a very interesting guy. It's the same kind of report as the one from Dr Rajiv Parti's patient, "The Frozen man." If anyone has any questions, maybe Kevin would come on the forum and answer them (possibly). I don't know of course, he might be too busy.

Mario Beauregard was researching this area (out of body experiences during hypothermic standstill) previously but it came to a stop because he couldn't get funding to do it, I think.
[To eliminate confusion after moving this post to the commentary thread: Mediochre was responding to this post of tim's in the original thread --Laird]

will you leave it up if you get her permission? I mean, it doesn't have any PID information in it so it should be fine.
[To eliminate confusion after moving this post to the commentary thread: Obiwan was responding to the same post of tim's in the original thread to which Mediochre was responding above --Laird]

Thanks Tim - that was lovely.
(2018-07-07, 07:55 AM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Tim - that was lovely.

You're very welcome, Obiwan I'm glad you liked it!
(2018-08-02, 12:28 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]This is a remarkable report from a medically retired anaesthesiologist. It was published on a question and answer forum and has received over 100,000 views and many comments so I can see no reason why it shouldn't be available for comment here.

You're welcome to argue in the appropriate place for our guidelines to be changed, tim, but as they stand, the reason why the article shouldn't be available for comment here is that doing so breaches those guidelines.
(2018-08-03, 04:48 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]I found this brief report on the net a few years ago.

(2018-08-03, 04:48 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]This True Mystic Experience appeared in the November 2011 edition of FATE

Tim, I've removed this content pending confirmation that FATE Magazine has given permission for it to be reproduced here.
(2018-08-24, 02:43 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Tim, I've removed this content pending confirmation that FATE Magazine has given permission for it to be reproduced here.

Seriously? It’s from 2011, I doubt that anyone gives a damn about it being published on an obscure forum that hardly anybody reads. In the big picture? Is this unfair?
I think that’s a bit extreme. Does Fate itself have permission to write about the incident?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40