Psience Quest

Full Version: Commentary thread for tim's "NDE's" thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
(2017-12-25, 07:30 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't quite disappear, Tim:
http://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-no...07#pid8207
But still, it's worth re-reading, (the font sizes were a bit messed up the first time).

Thanks for the heads up, Typoz

I didn't realise I'd posted it there. I actually thought it was in this thread; well spotted ! I managed (this time) to fix the font size too which I couldn't seem to accomplish last time.
[To eliminate confusion after moving this post to the commentary thread, Obiwan was responding to this post of tim's in the original thread --Laird]

I didn’t watch the video, but the link is well-written Imho.
(2017-12-29, 05:12 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]44 year old electronics engineer, David Ayre from Bristol was interviewed by Ian Wilson in the 1980's for his book, The After Death Experience. David's wife left him in 1978 and in the weeks that followed, pending divorce, he resolved (in Wilson's words) that his only solution lay in committing suicide.
A beautiful story and typical classic NDE.

Smithy
Anyone have any cases of NDEs involving family pets or other animals?
(2017-12-30, 08:18 PM)DarthT15 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any cases of NDEs involving family pets or other animals?

Near-Death Experiences with Deceased Pets
Some links at the bottom
(2017-12-31, 11:50 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have Ian Wilson's book to hand, to check, but didn't we cover that one...

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/du...post-56208

but didn't we cover that one...

No. Not really but not to worry. Wink
[To eliminate confusion after moving this post to the commentary thread, diverdown was responding to this post of tim's in the original thread --Laird]

Yes Tim. 

How can materialists explain the brain creating such an experience? Where does that come from? How would the brain know how to do that, at that specific time? And why? What evolutionary advantage does that serve? How would that even be created throughout evolution?
(2018-01-06, 04:21 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]But where was I? For a few moments, I froze with fright, worried that whatever was holding me up on the ceiling would suddenly let me drop. Eventually, though, I relaxed, watching in rapt amazement as the surgeons and nurses worked on my body. "Is that really me, or is this really me?" I wondered. "How can I be in both places at once?" Suddenly, I became aware of a shift in my perspective as my field of vision expanded. I was still in the operating theatre, but at the same time I could see my mother and sister sitting on a sofa in our family home, thousands of miles away in New Delhi - where I'd grown up.

The scene was vivid and detailed. My sister was wearing blue jeans and a red sweater and my mother a green sari and a green sweater. "What should we make for dinner?" my sister asked?

"It's cold outside," said my mother, we should make hot soup. Lentil sounds good." I was so focused on them that the sudden sound of instruments clanking in the operating theatre gave me a start.

Turning my head to the left, I found I could still see and hear the scene below me. "This guy's a mess. He's lucky to be here. Give me more swabs," said the surgeon to a nurse. I was now seriously frightened. What was going on? Would my untethered consciousness ever get back into my body - or was I destined to roam through eternity as a spirit? Was I dead? I felt like an astronaut who'd left his spacesuit, only to find that a suit was unnecessary to begin with. With rising panic, I looked back and forth at the two scenes - until both started to fade like a fast-setting sun.

From Dying to Wake up by Dr Rajiv Parti (with Paul Perry)
Hello tim, 

New to the forum, but two questions about this account 

1. Was the second scene he was witnessing happening at the same time (the present) as his operation was? Or was it a memory of the past he was witnessing? I can't tell solely from the text alone

2. What exactly happened in the experience after the two scenes "faded like setting suns"? Was that a shift in his experience or the moment he came to?
(2018-01-06, 04:21 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Dr Rajiv Parti was chief anaesthetist at Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California when he experienced exactly the same phenomenon that had been reported to him many times from patients under his care. He outlines the experience of someone he calls 'The Frozen Man' below, along with his own out of body experience during an operation to save his life from a severe infection (sepsis). 

Sceptics should bear in mind Parti's previous scepticism and 'conversion' after actually having the experience himself. 

Wonderful and entirely credible story, Tim! Thanks - Smithy
(2018-01-08, 11:59 AM)Desperado Wrote: [ -> ]Hello tim, 

New to the forum, but two questions about this account 

1. Was the second scene he was witnessing happening at the same time (the present) as his operation was? Or was it a memory of the past he was witnessing? I can't tell solely from the text alone

2. What exactly happened in the experience after the two scenes "faded like setting suns"? Was that a shift in his experience or the moment he came to?

Welcome to the forum !

The scene of the operation from above and the scene of his mother and sister in Delhi occurred one after the other but also a little later simultaneously (apparently).

What happened next was that he unfortunately found himself on the "rim of hell" and experienced some rather ghastly paraphernalia which I prefer not to focus on because whatever it is, it is ...or is not, if you see what I mean. We can't, of course, know with any real certainty the nature of this other dimension.   

It's the veridical out of body experiences that interest me personally.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40