Psience Quest

Full Version: Commentary thread for tim's "NDE's" thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
(2018-10-14, 10:06 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]We hear from some NDErs of the requirement to go back, to return to their body, because ‘God still has work for you to do’ or words to this effect.

Has more about this work ever been revealed?

I'm sure you know all this, Stan, but they return with either no real idea of what they've been made to return for, or only a very vague idea. NDE's that occur during childbirth possibly contain the clearest reason obviously (your son/daughter needs you) but there's many variations on this of course. I don't think it's a scientifically answerable question (even if/when data is collected)  because it belongs to the unmeasurable portion of the NDE. Then again, that might be wrong, maybe science will allow anecdotes to be used in the future? 

One of the guys that I spoke to who had a very profound NDE was made to come back because his wife was in such a state. He could see her down on earth (he said) from his position way up/or down ? somewhere anyway, in a vast "room" from where he could see this other world. (I spoke to him for some time trying to get a handle on the geography and nature of this place but I wasn't really any the wiser an hour or so later). 

Even as he was witnessing his wife crying and screaming, he said didn't he want to go back. He reasoned she would be alright (eventually). That very powerful/enticing "feeling" encountered by a lot of NDErs described as total peace and total love seems to be so attractive that everything else becomes irrelevant.
(2018-10-15, 12:41 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]What I guess I was/am looking for was evidence of specifics in nde’s. I feel that I’m slightly at a loss at the moment. I don’t feel that I’m being productive enough or that I might be a bit pointless in some ways. I mainly sit at home most days thinking about things in my study, IPad in hand. I do wonder if I’m carrying out God’s will? If indeed there is actually something we might call God. Taking it to a more ‘real’ level, I wonder if what I am doing might be sufficient to satisfy both myself and a greater part of myself.

Stan, I think you are too hard on yourself, for what it's worth. You've achieved a hell of a lot by becoming an airline pilot. That's enough for one lifetime isn't it ? I think so. Anyway, based on what I've read over 40 years of looking at NDE's, whatever that place is, whenever that "being" that is encountered there, gently evaluates the person's life, earthly achievements and what we term as success seems to carry no weight at all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56u4wMxNlg go to 41.23
(2018-10-26, 03:56 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Stan, I think you are too hard on yourself, for what it's worth. You've achieved a hell of a lot by becoming an airline pilot. That's enough for one lifetime isn't it ? I think so. Anyway, based on what I've read over 40 years of looking at NDE's, whatever that place is, whenever that "being" that is encountered there, gently evaluates the person's life, earthly achievements and what we term as success seems to carry no weight at all. 

Thanks Tim, I can always depend on you.

You said it yourself, becoming a pilot might have been interesting enough, but it was definitely a rather selfish endeavour, I suspect that useful work is helping others. I had to be that way to achieve my goal. Now that seems like a life time ago, I’m not content to wallow in the past. I think I’ve grown up a lot since those days.

Plus I’m only 58, I could last another 20 or more years!

I will always treasure my flying days, as I do my time growing up in Africa, but I do try to look forward and not back. I am relatively upbeat again now. In fact though I might sometimes seem a bit down, the reality is that I’m rarely too bad. I keep my mind active.

I’m certain that my being here has heavily influenced Eithne and Maeve’s lives. I look forward to my life review. I’ll take the rough with the smooth, I’ll argue my case vigorously if things get too tricky!

LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(2018-10-26, 04:26 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Tim, I can always depend on you.

You said it yourself, becoming a pilot might have been interesting enough, but it was definitely a rather selfish endeavour, I suspect that useful work is helping others. I had to be that way to achieve my goal. Now that seems like a life time ago, I’m not content to wallow in the past. I think I’ve grown up a lot since those days.

Plus I’m only 58, I could last another 20 or more years!

I will always treasure my flying days, as I do my time growing up in Africa, but I do try to look forward and not back. I am relatively upbeat again now. In fact though I might sometimes seem a bit down, the reality is that I’m rarely too bad. I keep my mind active.

I’m certain that my being here has heavily influenced Eithne and Maeve’s lives. I look forward to my life review. I’ll take the rough with the smooth, I’ll argue my case vigorously if things get too tricky!

LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, Stan, all noted. I guess helping others is useful work, I agree. But if we don't actually want to help others (ie our heart isn't in it) but we do it anyway, is there any value in that ? I see that as a bit like some (not all) church-goers who maybe think they are somehow accumulating 'brownie points' with their creator with every visit they make. But they don't really want to go.

What is being good or helpful, I dunno.  We know what it is basically within reason, but if we actually try to
be good, it doesn't really work, does it. I read a post by Typoz somewhere last week and that was something along the lines of he thought we are simply here to experience and not to learn specifically (to be good necessarily) and I tend to agree with that. 

I do however strongly believe that choosing to experience (if that's what we are doing here) shouldn't involve harming others but sadly it seems to be an inevitable consequence of living. And then we're back to the problem of suffering etc.
(2018-10-26, 05:43 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that, Stan, all noted. I guess helping others is useful work, I agree. But if we don't actually want to help others (ie our heart isn't in it) but we do it anyway, is there any value in that ? I see that as a bit like some (not all) church-goers who maybe think they are somehow accumulating 'brownie points' with their creator with every visit they make. But they don't really want to go.

What is being good or helpful, I dunno.  We know what it is basically within reason, but if we actually try to
be good, it doesn't really work, does it. I read a post by Typoz somewhere last week and that was something along the lines of he thought we are simply here to experience and not to learn specifically (to be good necessarily) and I tend to agree with that. 

I do however strongly believe that choosing to experience (if that's what we are doing here) shouldn't involve harming others but sadly it seems to be an inevitable consequence of living. And then we're back to the problem of suffering etc.

Why are you assuming that I don’t actually want to help people? I really do. I think my outlook has become more caring than before my stroke, probably because I never considered it too much as I was mentally preoccupied with work and the stresses that came with it. I don’t think I’d be helping people for any other reason that it would help them, and help me. There’s little point in trying to fool anyone, because from what I understand from life reviews, our true intent will be obvious to us and anyone else who’s interested. I really get that message.

I do think that experiencing life has a big part to play, whether that’s more or less ‘important’ than anything else, I wouldn’t like to guess. One thing I’ve become more aware of, is that we’re all in this together, and that sometimes, trying to do the right thing doesn’t help. ‘The road to hell is paved with good intention’, is something I think of fairly often.
(2018-10-26, 09:56 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you assuming that I don’t actually want to help people?

I'm not Stan, I was referring to those who don't necessarily want to help others and there are plenty of those around as we all know (not referring to anyone on here just to be clear)

I agree very much with your second paragraph.
(2018-10-26, 03:56 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Stan, I think you are too hard on yourself, for what it's worth.
I was getting a similar feeling.

Maybe being too hard on ourselves is a common trait, because I'm sure it's something which has affected me.

In my case, the way it seemed to start was something like, a little bit of serious thought is a good thing, therefore, a great lot of seriousness must be a wonderful thing, right? As I say, I'm speaking only for myself here. But I had a dream, quite a number of years ago now, and I have to remind myself of it from time to time. In the dream I was an onlooker, watching as a school headmaster advised one of his pupils to try harder at schoolwork, and stop wasting time on frivolous enjoyment. A rather junior school secretary intervened, and tried to explain to the headmaster that he should ease off a little. After I woke up, I realised that the advice was addressed to me, I was playing the role of both the strict school headmaster, as well as the pupil being admonished. The advice aimed towards myself was effectively to think of most joyful things I could, and to have a good time. Or something very much along those lines.

As I say, that's me, not saying it applies to anyone else. But I do feel in general we receive a lot of messages, for example from schools, employers, governments, some religions, all trying to instil seriousness in us. It's hard to imagine that some of that doesn't stick, and bring about ways of being which are destructive both for the individual as well as for society. I think there are benefits in letting go, relaxing one's grip (or attempt at grip) on things.
(2018-10-28, 09:48 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I was getting a similar feeling.

Maybe being too hard on ourselves is a common trait, because I'm sure it's something which has affected me.

In my case, the way it seemed to start was something like, a little bit of serious thought is a good thing, therefore, a great lot of seriousness must be a wonderful thing, right? As I say, I'm speaking only for myself here. But I had a dream, quite a number of years ago now, and I have to remind myself of it from time to time. In the dream I was an onlooker, watching as a school headmaster advised one of his pupils to try harder at schoolwork, and stop wasting time on frivolous enjoyment. A rather junior school secretary intervened, and tried to explain to the headmaster that he should ease off a little. After I woke up, I realised that the advice was addressed to me, I was playing the role of both the strict school headmaster, as well as the pupil being admonished. The advice aimed towards myself was effectively to think of most joyful things I could, and to have a good time. Or something very much along those lines.

As I say, that's me, not saying it applies to anyone else. But I do feel in general we receive a lot of messages, for example from schools, employers, governments, some religions, all trying to instil seriousness in us. It's hard to imagine that some of that doesn't stick, and bring about ways of being which are destructive both for the individual as well as for society. I think there are benefits in letting go, relaxing one's grip (or attempt at grip) on things.

As a Christian, it's easy to forget that "the letter kills but the Spirit gives life" and that Adam made the wrong choice when he chose living by a set of rules (the tree of knowledge of good and evil) rather than living by a spirit of love joy and peace (The tree of Life) - sorry to bring the Bible into things yet again but it's an important part of my own experience.  Human kind seems to prefer self kicking to self acceptance!
(2018-10-28, 09:48 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I was getting a similar feeling.

Actually I think they’re all important, thinking about serious problems, being joyous, being light hearted, being down etc, they’re all part of life’s rich tapestry. Imo the reality of living in this day and age means that it’s inevitable to get involved with life’s darker side to some degree. What’s important to me is that we stay conscious while doing so. In other words don’t let the ego take control.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to get down for a couple of days, but more often than not, I find myself in a good mood. I enjoy memories from my past, music from anytime, little amusing things, reading these posts etc. However I think that being happy all the time would (probably)be impossible for me unless I were to ignore the suffering in the world. Being ignorant is not my way, trying to get fully informed, the way the Jesus seems to have been, is what I would say is a worthwhile target.
(2018-10-15, 12:41 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]What I guess I was/am looking for was evidence of specifics in nde’s. I feel that I’m slightly at a loss at the moment. I don’t feel that I’m being productive enough or that I might be a bit pointless in some ways. I mainly sit at home most days thinking about things in my study, IPad in hand. I do wonder if I’m carrying out God’s will? If indeed there is actually something we might call God.

12 years ago I had serious questions about my spiritual path. One night I thought intensively about this question. When I went to sleep, I asked this question from Ukko, the most significant God of Finnish mythology. That night I had an extraordinary dream in which I received a clear answer to my question.

3 years ago during a stomach flu and high fever I saw a vision which reinforced my view that I'm on a right path.

I don't claim that I literally got an answer from Ukko. Perhaps that dream originated from my subconscious. Anyway, I got an answer, and the precognitive parts of that dream and that vision happened later.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40