Psience Quest

Full Version: Latest from Dr Sam Parnia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2019-05-18, 09:33 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate Parnia's work, but most likely it will just be a description, an overview, of what they are aiming to do.

Probably, I doubt he is gonna leak anything important before the end of the study. But just a small hint at if the study is currently going on the right direction or not would be appreciated.
(2019-04-20, 07:22 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]The Sun reports:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7819011/di...ter-death/

Fox news summarises Parnia's work in this delightful headline,

Huh?????

Words fail me.

Comments, Tim?

Oh wierd, yes this was word for word repeated years ago. We covered it here on one of the forums. Gist is that they misrepresented Parnia entirely.
Parnia has got to be the most misrepresented researcher on NDE's by far. Any reason, you think?
He's not going to release any information about "hits" (or lack of them) until the end of the study. Simply because of the low numbers recruited, I don't think he'll have any yet...not clear sightings anyway of whatever is up there on the screen. I just don't think he will have had enough OBE's but it's just my opinion.

My guess would be that's he's probably got at least one...probably more... accurate veridical OBE's which might include (probably will) seeing the "Aware team" with the pole etc. Sooner or later (and we won't have to wait for decades) someone will see it...and then that will have to replicated at least ten times or whatever is deemed a reasonable figure to finally shut the 'sceptics' up.
(2019-05-18, 01:50 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]He's not going to release any information about "hits" (or lack of them) until the end of the study. Simply because of the low numbers recruited, I don't think he'll have any yet...not clear sightings anyway of whatever is up there on the screen. I just don't think he will have had enough OBE's but it's just my opinion.

My guess would be that's he's probably got at least one...probably more... accurate veridical OBE's which might include (probably will) seeing the "Aware team" with the pole etc. Sooner or later (and we won't have to wait for decades) someone will see it...and then that will have to replicated at least ten times or whatever is deemed a reasonable figure to finally shut the 'sceptics' up.

Nothing will be enough.
(2019-05-18, 01:50 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]He's not going to release any information about "hits" (or lack of them) until the end of the study. Simply because of the low numbers recruited, I don't think he'll have any yet...not clear sightings anyway of whatever is up there on the screen. I just don't think he will have had enough OBE's but it's just my opinion.

I don't know if nobody saw any hidden pictures, but if the stuff used to set a portable EEG monitoring device on the head of the patient and he/she sees it, isn't that too some kind of "hidden" target? The patient wouldn't be aware it is there anyway.There should be also audio cues on headphones and other stuff.

Maybe Parnia has got something like that, not a direct hit on the picture but some strong veridical components, although I'm not ruling out a hit on the pictures. The recruitment wasn't complete yet, but it is still a big project with 2 hospitalsi nvolved, so they may have got one.
(2019-05-18, 03:36 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if nobody saw any hidden pictures, but if the stuff used to set a portable EEG monitoring device on the head of the patient and he/she sees it, isn't that too some kind of "hidden" target? The patient wouldn't be aware it is there anyway.

Michael Sabom's six best veridical cases were packed with that kind of information. The patients in cardiac arrest (who hadn't seen a resuscitation before) saw everything in clear detail, the "whole show" (as one man expressed it) but sceptics just say that they (the patients) must have got the information in some other way (other than seeing it) and then built in into a retrospective confabulation...and then forgotten that they'd done it.

As regards speculation on what he has or hasn't managed to capture, it's rather pointless, I'm afraid. We'd all like to know but it would take something spectacular to change my view, now (not that what I think matters, it's up to each individual). I think we have a separable mind and I think the evidence very much supports that.

Edit : I agree with Stan, for some (such as Paul, maybe Malf) no evidence will ever be enough)
Sorry folks, the epileptic seizure part of the discussion has been moved here:
https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-n...c-seizures
https://leapsmag.com/coming-back-from-th...e-fiction/

I have to admit, in this article by Doctor Parnia himself he sounds more sure tha ever about consciousness being detached from the brain. Looking at the words he uses it almosts sounds like he is onto something but can't speak about it right now. There is no mention of the seizures, although the article should be more recent than his conference, and it seems they didn't damage his resolve at all. So, I'd say really good news!

Maybe he has some info not only from AWARE II but from his COOL-like study too that are giving him more evidence and confidence.
Even if they don't get an actual hit (because of such low numbers) there's bound to be a few veridical out of body experiences ie the patient's disembodied consciousness observing the resuscitation etc.

If those accounts can be time/verified...and they see things which they couldn't possibly have seen ...and their EEG is flat during that time, then that's curtains for materialism. Of course "they" (sceptics) will say not.

Because of such low numbers, I wonder if Parnia will seek an extension to the study.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21