Psience Quest

Full Version: Latest from Dr Sam Parnia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2022-02-01, 05:38 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for bringing this to our collective attention, Tim. I recall in the past that Parnia had a twitter page but it seemed to be updated only quite infrequently.

It looks to me as though these instagram posts on the nyugsom_ccrs page are laying the groundwork, a kind of setting the stage for - hopefully - something more detailed to come soon.

I noticed the interesting phrase "third phase"

I was wondering, has Parnia's team now coined another new acronym RED (recalled experience of death) or was this previously in use?

Actually I can understand his aversion to the term NDE since it is often used (BBC is one place) in other contexts, almost as a way of diluting or distracting from this subject area.

[ I wish it wasn't instagram, one of the most irritating sites ever. Even when posts are public, it keeps asking me to log in (I can't, don't have an account, nor do I intend to). ]

No worries, Typoz !  I think Parnia has abandoned that (account) as he obviously doesn't have the time to update it etc. 

'I noticed the interesting phrase "third phase" '

Yes, "We are now making plans to move into the third phase of this study. Stay tuned for more as we begin to share what we have learned since the study launched in 2014."

"I was wondering, has Parnia's team now coined another new acronym RED (recalled experience of death) or was this previously in use?"

Me too, but no it wasn't in previous use.  I thought they were going to run with either AED (actual experience of death) or TED (Transformative experience of death). Whatever, RED looks like it's coming up on the stand side (as they say in racing). 

"Actually I can understand his aversion to the term NDE since it is often used (BBC is one place) in other contexts, almost as a way of diluting or distracting from this subject area."

Absolutely and 'sceptics' love it. They can make almost anything fit the term NDE and in addition, object that they didn't really die etc. This new definition should tighten up the field and bring an end to their evasion and mischief (sorry, but that's how I feel about them)

I have the same problem with Instagram BTW.

[ I
Re: RED (recalled experience of death). Parnia and Shirazi are using those terms in the essay they wrote for the Bigelow Institute.

I see also there's various news articles quoting Parnia using the words "recalled experiences surrounding death" going back to 2014.
(2022-02-02, 04:33 AM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Re: RED (recalled experience of death). Parnia and Shirazi are using those terms in the essay they wrote for the Bigelow Institute.

I see also there's various news articles quoting Parnia using the words "recalled experiences surrounding death" going back to 2014.

They did indeed. I would like to know if that tweet (the 10-15% one) is definitely from Aware 2 (specifically) or it's just the result of statistical analysis of the medical surveys they've been doing (surely not). One was a question and answer--on line survey 

Cardiac Arrest Awareness and Long-Term Quality of Life: a Mixed Methods Study of the Experiences and Psychological Consequences of Adult Cardiac Arrest. | NYU Langone Health

If it is from that survey and not data from the prospective study (2014 -onwards) then it's of much less value of course.
(2022-02-02, 11:20 AM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]They did indeed. I would like to know if that tweet (the 10-15% one) is definitely from Aware 2 (specifically) or it's just the result of statistical analysis of the medical surveys they've been doing (surely not).

Commentators on that tweet are asking the same question.
(2022-02-02, 02:04 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Commentators on that tweet are asking the same question.

I don't think it can be (related to the qualitative study I've linked to above), Ian, thinking a bit more about it. The qualitative study is seeking survivors of cardiac arrest who have had experience or perceived memories of their period of arrest (NDE basically or very very rarely (0.3%) CPR awareness) 

The numbers of course would be much higher than 10-15% of people who contacted them, surely. The ones that didn't have any memories of their cardiac arrest would almost never bother filling in the survey. Or is that wrong ?
Makes sense.
(2022-02-02, 03:26 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Makes sense.

One would think so. So assuming they've got EEG on them (assuming that is) plus cerebral oximetry (the device which measures brain oxygenation levels) they should have been able to determine (for certain) the state of the brain at the time of any related experiences (conversations heard, drugs given etc), in addition to the factual assumption (though it is challenged by some sceptics) that cardiac arrest=no brain activity. 

If that is the case (and I don't say it is yet) then it's going to be very difficult for sceptics to "wriggle out" of. We shall see, of course.
There are definite signs of some more detailed information to come on the AWARE II study.

First, from Twitter
Quote:AWAREII Manuscript Coming Soon!
For now we will slowly reveal some of our findings, beginning with conscious awareness during & immediately after cardiac arrest

And on Instagram:
Quote:Since the second phase of AWARE began, we have enrolled 570 cardiac arrest patients across 26 different hospitals worldwide. Through in-hospital interviews, we have identified that memories people report during and after cardiac arrest often fall into 3 major categories: 1. Recalled experiences of death (REDs) 2. Memories related to emergence out of coma/unconsciousness 3. Dreams & dream-like experiences Stay tuned as we breakdown further common themes of REDs, and explore the physiological data associated with both the deceased and CA survivors . . .

By the way, I've found it useful to view some of the Instagram stuff via a third-party site:
https://www.picuki.com/profile/nyugsom_ccrs

There are other background posts on the term RED (NDE) and Paradoxical Lucidity (terminal lucidity).
Yes, it's looking like we're going to see the 2nd phase of results quite soon, Typoz. I don't think there'll be enough to force our resident sceptics to put on their napkins to begin eating crow (as Sci rightfully alluded to). But, I suspect there might be enough to start making them slightly sick. I hope so but we'll see.

Good find with the Instagram site (where you can read it without logging in)
(2022-02-12, 07:01 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's looking like we're going to see the 2nd phase of results quite soon, Typoz. I don't think there'll be enough to force our resident sceptics to put on their napkins to begin eating crow (as Sci rightfully alluded to). But, I suspect there might be enough to start making them slightly sick. I hope so but we'll see.
It looks like we'll have to be patient for a while longer. As pointed out on Aware_of_Aware, there was a reply in the comments which suggests Autumn for publication, and who knows, dates can slide...
[Image: img_1091.jpg]

(2022-02-12, 07:01 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Good find with the Instagram site (where you can read it without logging in)
Yes, but for one flaw. It is easy to view and read the main content but doesn't seem to show the comments - the above being a case in point. The comment is visible on the original site: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaDs2HGMJO3/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21