Psience Quest

Full Version: The Skeptiko post-trauma thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
K9 actually had the audacity to jump to the moral highground because of trolling? That is beyond ironic considering her (his, whatever) treatment of me in a Skeptiko thread a few months back.

I shared a personal anecdote regarding a decision my wife and I made to share the fantastical aspect of Santa to our still-believing son as he was entering middle school. K9 reacted with incredulity in a post starting "Why would you tell a kid that Santa isn't real?". I responded with a respectful post indicating it hadn't been an easy decision but we felt as his loving parents it was in the best interests of our son to protect him from potential ridicule in middle school.

A few posts later in this thread K9 comes back with "I would think that all it would take to quash PK is a "loving" parent breaking the news to them that such things aren't possible." to a post I'd made completely unrelated to the Santa story. (Ironically, this was the thread where Baccarat asked for proof of TK then decided he didn't need it any longer as he'd seen it first hand.)

So, K9, if you are reading this thread still my advice would be to read the parable about those living in glass houses. Unreal.
, it is all yours.
Wait...am I the only one who thought Jim was making a joke?
(2017-08-27, 11:19 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...am I the only one who thought Jim was making a joke?

No.
(2017-08-27, 11:19 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...am I the only one who thought Jim was making a joke?

He always plays the straight man, even when responding to things that are absolutely bizarre. So...
(2017-08-27, 08:30 PM)Silence Wrote: [ -> ]K9 actually had the audacity to jump to the moral highground because of trolling?  That is beyond ironic considering her (his, whatever) treatment of me in a Skeptiko thread a few months back.

I shared a personal anecdote regarding a decision my wife and I made to share the fantastical aspect of Santa to our still-believing son as he was entering middle school.  K9 reacted with incredulity in a post starting "Why would you tell a kid that Santa isn't real?".  I responded with a respectful post indicating it hadn't been an easy decision but we felt as his loving parents it was in the best interests of our son to protect him from potential ridicule in middle school.

A few posts later in this thread K9 comes back with "I would think that all it would take to quash PK is a "loving" parent breaking the news to them that such things aren't possible." to a post I'd made completely unrelated to the Santa story.  (Ironically, this was the thread where Baccarat asked for proof of TK then decided he didn't need it any longer as he'd seen it first hand.)

So, K9, if you are reading this thread still my advice would be to read the parable about those living in glass houses.  Unreal.

Wow, I missed that thread. I thought K9! usually stuck to her own interests on Skeptiko. That seems really strange from what I’ve seen of her posts, though I can’t read every post, of course.

I raised my own kids to pretend Santa was real, like a fun thing, in the same way we pretend the Easter Bunny is real, bringing eggs and chocolate. They seemed to enjoy that while knowing that he wasn’t actually real.

My parents raised us kids with Santa but never said he was real. They just had no comment on it. And then when we found out he wasn’t, my dad was able to say, “Well, I never told you he was real! I didn’t want to lie!” I found that to be a bit of a cop-out, so I decided I wouldn’t do that to my kids.

I do like K9! and was disappointed in this thread. She left because ONE person who has been a member on the SF for years was mildly trolling Alex for his rash decisions, and now she can’t be a part of a new forum because that member is a member here? That we are a “troll haven” if we don’t ban a member for trolling a different forum?

I have really tried not to comment on here about what’s going on at Skeptiko right now, but I do think K9! was being dramatic about silly trolling by one member on the SF and hasty in deleting her account because of it. Perhaps she had other reasons I’m not privy to, however.

I wish her the best, though. Maybe she’ll come back after Alex bans her over something silly. Tongue
(2017-08-28, 10:00 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]I wish her the best, though. Maybe she’ll come back after Alex bans her over something silly. Tongue

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Doppelgänger.

K9! is always welcome back here, whether because of being banned from Skeptiko or for any other reason. She adds a lot of value to the community. I was sad to see her leave but she obviously had made up her mind and wasn't willing to be persuaded, so there was really nothing to be done except let her go.
I do hope she returns, too. Not sure if K9 can regenerate like Dr Who, but here's hoping!
Of course K9 is welcome back. I don't think that she has any beef with any of us and we don't ask for written apologies to reinstate an account. It's up to her.
(2017-08-28, 06:07 AM)E. Flowers Wrote: [ -> ]He always plays the straight man, even when responding to things that are absolutely bizarre. So...

Heh true. It's a very dry humor...but at least it's not like that completely incomprehensible British humor? 

Just what are they doing over there?! [insert appropriate smiley]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21