Psience Quest

Full Version: The Skeptiko post-trauma thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2017-09-09, 09:37 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone actually asked Alex if he intends to leave CD and OS available as read-only on his forum? Just curious, as initially he seemed to just want them gone.

As implied above: I haven't. Perhaps one of us should drop him a PM on Skeptiko. Are you up for it, Doppel?
(2017-09-09, 09:56 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]As implied above: I haven't. Perhaps one of us should drop him a PM on Skeptiko. Are you up for it, Doppel?

Not really. I have never engaged with Alex outside of a few podcast threads. I think he'd find it strange if I asked since he doesn't even know who I am.
(2017-09-09, 09:58 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Do you not think its important to gain new readership faster, by driving traffic to psiencequest via search engine queries? I appreciate its more work, just seems a missed opportunity if you stop here. Sure psiencequest will generate that rich content slowly overtime, but it's going to be slow. I'm guessing AT has realised the importance of the traffic which the forums bring in.

I thought it was really strange how dismissive he was about the content, even when it was brought to his attention, that google searches brought traffic to his site and therefore his podcast.
(2017-09-09, 10:57 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was through pure anger and frustration that he couldn't force people to submit, that he removed the SF forums. It seemed like a last ditch attempt to take away our toys as punishment unless we capitulated. But it backfired spectacularly, and that's when we saw those strange dismissive posts from him about the content of those deleted forums. I thought it was a way of pretending he wasn't bothered, and he would go through with their deletion. But it triggered a mass exodus. I think the forum deletions hurt his SE traffic terribly, and he knew it, I'd expect he would have seen quick losses in traffic, perhaps down by as much as 30% after a week, and continuing to decline thereafter. I'd reckon he lost as much as 50% of his traffic by the time they were restored.

But although he clearly needed to bring them back to restore declined SE traffic, he needed us to beg for the forums to be restored temporarily, so he could bring them back in a way that allowed him to save face - he was doing us a favour. Then he's slowly modified his position so that the forums are kept open, I'd guess the story goes something like... he can't be bothered to delete them again, they ain't important, but why go through the process again. He just can't afford to lose the traffic. What's actually altered...? Absolutely nothing, he's back to square one, but he's lost all his forum members in the process.

I had hoped he would only temporarily restore them, perhaps in hindsight we should have stirred him up more with outrageous criticism of his actions, to drive him into that action, but it seems perhaps too late now. That way Psience could have benefited from the traffic, in the absence of SF.

What's he capable of... anything... for all I know those forums could be restored for new postings anytime he liked.

I don't want to speculate too much of why AT did what he did, but yes, it was strange. I suppose he acted rashly in a fit of pique over something. His dismissive stance alienated me before the deletion of the forums and his response about the deleted forums solidified my stance not to go back. He basically said he didn't care about psi anymore, that the discussions on his forum didn't involve him so therefore they were of no use, that he didn't ever want to foster a community when the banner over the forum literally said "Skeptiko community."

I don't know what happened.

I think you have been harsh, however, about DB. I don't think DB had much input -- it is AT's forum after all. Though I do think that DB has hinted that AT is going through some stuff? That's how I read it seeing what he posted on SF and on here.

I suppose it's not really any of my business, though. It just is what it is.

I don't wish AT bad will, but I do hope he realizes he destroyed what DB said was "his wonderful project." Because it really was.
(2017-09-09, 01:28 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I certainly don't feel good towards them, not a chance... they've got all my posts on there, and he's keeping them, whilst I'm locked out.

I understand; I don't know why AT did what he did, but I understand your frustration.
(2017-09-09, 11:48 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to speculate too much of why AT did what he did, but yes, it was strange. I suppose he acted rashly in a fit of pique over something. His dismissive stance alienated me before the deletion of the forums and his response about the deleted forums solidified my stance not to go back. He basically said he didn't care about psi anymore, that the discussions on his forum didn't involve him so therefore they were of no use, that he didn't ever want to foster a community when the banner over the forum literally said "Skeptiko community."

I don't know what happened.

I think you have been harsh, however, about DB. I don't think DB had much input -- it is AT's forum after all. Though I do think that DB has hinted that AT is going through some stuff? That's how I read it seeing what he posted on SF and on here.

I suppose it's not really any of my business, though. It just is what it is.

I don't wish AT bad will, but I do hope he realizes he destroyed what DB said was "his wonderful project." Because it really was.

Hi, Doppleganger. I think like you (and most others I guess) that Alex did a great job previous to all this. But I noticed a change in him perhaps 2-3 years ago when he started composing his posts in a stylised way missing out lots of letters and using odd abbreviations which sometimes were hard to decipher (in meaning). He also started talking in a different way, stylised, using inscrutable sentences (for me anyway ) ...which I couldn't easily follow, couldn't grasp what he was getting at.

I might be wrong but for me that can often signify that someone is getting big headed, arrogant or uncaring. What are your thoughts because I might have it all wrong. Is any of that fair ?
I'm sorry about my ignorance but am I understanding correctly that website 'Skeptico' is no longer operational / in existence?
(2017-09-09, 02:06 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, Doppleganger. I think like you (and most others I guess) that Alex did a great job previous to all this. But I noticed a change in him perhaps 2-3 years ago when he started composing his posts in a stylised way missing out lots of letters and using odd abbreviations which sometimes were hard to decipher (in meaning). He also started talking in a different way, stylised, using inscrutable sentences (for me anyway ) ...which I couldn't easily follow, couldn't grasp what he was getting at.  

I might be wrong but for me that can often signify that someone is getting big headed, arrogant or uncaring. What are your thoughts because I might have it all wrong. Is any of that fair ?

I find it bizarre that someone who consistently comments about how it all comes down to "love" can behave so callously to the community that he was responsible for building. Maybe "tough love"?
(2017-09-09, 02:17 PM)leadville Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry about my ignorance but am I understanding correctly that website 'Skeptico' is no longer operational / in existence?

No, it's still operational, Leadville. It's just that not many of the previous "inhabitants" are left.
(2017-09-09, 02:19 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I find it bizarre that someone who consistently comments about how it all comes down to "love" can behave so callously to the community that he was responsible for building. Maybe "tough love"?

Callous for me, Chuck is too strong but I know what you're getting at. I felt almost like he'd driven/taken us on a nice long ride to some place of real promise and then stopped the bus and told us to get off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21