Psience Quest

Full Version: The Skeptiko post-trauma thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2017-09-26, 07:06 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]I also think it is unseemly to start threads on Skeptiko based off of threads started on this forum to drum up more participation on the Skeptiko forums given what happened. I found it odd and really off-putting. I would also find it off-putting if members here poached a new and original thread from Skeptiko and posted it here for discussion rather than discuss it there.
I wondered about this, and I actually sought Laird's agreement before doing anything. My viewpoint is that the value of discussing the core subject of both forums, vastly exceeds the silly infighting that has broken out.  I mean, all forums 'poach' ideas from elsewhere - newspaper articles, scientific papers, other blogs, etc.

We aren't really in competition - except perhaps with those who want to close down discussion of ψ and related issues!

David
(2017-09-26, 10:05 AM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]I wondered about this, and I actually sought Laird's agreement before doing anything. My viewpoint is that the value of discussing the core subject of both forums, vastly exceeds the silly infighting that has broken out.  I mean, all forums 'poach' ideas from elsewhere - newspaper articles, scientific papers, other blogs, etc.

We aren't really in competition - except perhaps with those who want to close down discussion of ψ and related issues!

David

Yep, I see no problem with "cross-pollination" of ideas/threads between the two forums. Maybe sometimes folks here will want to start a thread about a Skeptiko podcast or whatever - and if folks on Skeptiko (some of whom are the same as folks here) want to start a thread about something on Psience Quest, then, sure, go for it. (Edit: not that I am the final word on this, of course - I'm just one member of many amongst the two communities)
(2017-09-25, 04:48 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]...I respect the significance of the subject we are discussing more than the egos of a few individuals.

David

Nobody's ego was bigger than Alex's! Show became all about him and his convictions. Which is fine, but it certainly isn't going to inspire people to participate in the forum or listen to the podcast. Yeah, he paid for everything, but why would anyone else pay for Alex to scream from the rooftops over and over again that we aren't biological robots and that you're stupid if you don't agree with him?
(2017-09-26, 12:35 PM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody's ego was bigger than Alex's! Show became all about him and his convictions. Which is fine, but it certainly isn't going to inspire people to participate in the forum or listen to the podcast. Yeah, he paid for everything, but why would anyone else pay for Alex to scream from the rooftops over and over again that we aren't biological robots and that you're stupid if you don't agree with him?

A couple of fair points. I left purely because of David's  moderation technique/system. He still doesn't understand even now by the looks of it. I also think Alex's ego started to get in the way of common sense. This won't bother you because you aren't a proponent (are you) but when he started telling me that Jesus never existed (I'm not religious) I thought I'm not having that load of old cobblers.
I'm more of the opinion that the poaching is a little cheap.
(2017-09-26, 02:32 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more of the opinion that the poaching is a little cheap.

You can't really put that on Alex, though. (Not that you suggested it.)

I seriously doubt that Alex really cares that much about even having a forum any longer. He could just as effectively use the comments on his podcast page and Deathbook posting.
My guess is that even the podcast itself has maybe another year. Who really cares about it any longer? I haven't listened in ages. Alex should find some other avenue for his interests. Podcasting isn't really his forte. There are many who do it much better.
(2017-09-26, 02:42 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really put that on Alex, though. (Not that you suggested it.)

I seriously doubt that Alex really cares that much about even having a forum any longer. He could just as effectively use the comments on his podcast page and Deathbook posting.

No, I'm putting it on the people doing it.
What would be a lot more interesting would be a "Serial" type deep dive into one particular aspect of something from the earlier shows. Maybe mediums or something. A 15-20 part series really diving into one aspect of one subject. Detail. Depth.
For those living in a cave by "Serial" I mean this:

https://serialpodcast.org
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21