Psience Quest

Full Version: The Skeptiko post-trauma thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2017-09-14, 01:28 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see that. Alex "restored" them a while back, but they are closed for new posting. In any event, I wouldn't go back to posting there if they were reopened.
Its been a few weeks since I was there.
Folks complained that all of the content was lost or not easily accessible I recall some saying.
(2017-08-27, 10:07 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be so silly, Tsakiris isn't a cat, and neither is he friendly or relaxed, and nobody was poking him with a stick.

We have a solid reminder of how pointless and insincere your invitation is, as Chotki joins psiencequest in the last few hours.

"Don't be so silly, Tsakiris isn't a cat, and neither is he friendly or relaxed, and nobody was poking him with a stick. "

Smile   I missed that gem somehow. What are we going to do with you, David.
(2017-09-23, 05:34 PM)billw Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I had not been frequenting Skeptiko recently, so I missed the whole sub-forum closure thing. Just checked back and and saw someone had sent me an invite to the new forum. The reason I'd stayed away was I felt I wasn't getting any new or helpful insights into the topics discussed, even though for sure there are a bunch of really smart people posting.  

I am amazed that Alex chose to close the CD forum, and equally amazed that Sciborg was banned. WTF??? How could that be??? I don't even want to know.
The CD forum was really a device for containing certain individuals to part of the website. I decided that people were either  willing to debate in a civilised way (whatever their views) or we were better without them. That mean't that anyone was free to discuss CD type issues wherever they arose.

Just about all the significant threads in the two closed forums, were moved elsewhere on the forum. I am not apologising for Alex - just explaining that the effect was much less than it first seemed.

A lot of people - such as me - are members of both forums.

Quote:When I did visit Skeptiko, 95 percent of the time it was the CD forum. I guess I felt more was to be gained by challenging my current "beliefs" (ah, apparently not that much gain). The familiar skeptics who posted there (Arouet, Paul, fls, malf come to mind....) seemed to me like smart and respectful people (I'd still wager that no tens of thousands of posts will change their minds that all consciousness is brain generated...but who cares?). Certainly this was not a place where rational proponent comments were brushed aside by rude dickheads like on the JREF... anyway ... good luck with the new forum! 
Nor will it ever resemble JREF, or even a sort of JREF in reverse!

When things came to a head, a small number of people chose to challenge Alex directly on the forum. He banned them pending an email discussion. Some of those chose not to have that discussion.

Perhaps some people need to remember that he pays all the costs associated with the forum, and preparing the podcasts etc, and has obviously lavished many hours on his site.

I don't want to mention names, but while some of the sceptics on your list were polite, and contributed to the forum, others were decidedly difficult. You were obviously polite and reasonable, and contributed to Skeptiko.

I'd suggest you start a new thread on Skeptiko to discuss whatever topic most concerns you.

David
(2017-09-25, 03:23 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]When things came to a head, a small number of people chose to challenge Alex directly on the forum. He banned them pending an email discussion. Some of those chose not to have that discussion.

Perhaps some people need to remember that he pays all the costs associated with the forum, and preparing the podcasts etc, and has obviously lavished many hours on his site.

David

Actually, Alex's words were that people should contact him to eat a little piece of humble pie. Probably a poor turn of phrase.

Who can possibly forget that Alex pays for everything and owns it all? He acted like a true authoritarian. 

I will die before I ever make another post on Skeptiko.

Chris

(2017-09-25, 03:23 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest you start a new thread on Skeptiko to discuss whatever topic most concerns you.

Or you could pick one of the threads under discussion today. Oh, sorry, no posts today. Try again tomorrow?
(2017-09-25, 03:29 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I will die before I ever make another post on Skeptiko.

Well in your case, perhaps that is just as well.

(2017-09-25, 03:30 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Or you could pick one of the threads under discussion today. Oh, sorry, no posts today. Try again tomorrow?

Unlike both of you, I wish both forums well, because I respect the significance of the subject we are discussing more than the egos of a few individuals.

David

Chris

(2017-09-25, 04:48 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]Unlike both of you, I wish both forums well, because I respect the significance of the subject we are discussing more than the egos of a few individuals.

ROFL
That we should all be so humble as yourself, David.
(2017-09-25, 04:48 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]Well in your case, perhaps that is just as well.

Unlike both of you, I wish both forums well, because I respect the significance of the subject we are discussing more than the egos of a few individuals.

David

I don't know what to say to your last two posts. I always liked you as a poster on the SF, but it's almost as though you are being willfully ignorant (okay, that was kinda an "inside" joke, I guess) obtuse (better?) about what actually happened, why people left, and why this forum exists.

I also think it is unseemly to start threads on Skeptiko based off of threads started on this forum to drum up more participation on the Skeptiko forums given what happened. I found it odd and really off-putting. I would also find it off-putting if members here poached a new and original thread from Skeptiko and posted it here for discussion rather than discuss it there. I think it would be fine to see a topic and post about it here with a new post raising the topic rather than linking to it and say, "Hey, this was discussed at [forum] but let's discuss this here rather than there."

I know I'm not articulating myself well here, because I'm tired, but posting the animal consciousness thread as an admin on Skeptiko to start a discussion there put me off big time.
Personally I don't see a problem with discussing things in more than one forum. After all, people derive inspiration from all manner of sources, newspapers, television programmes, books they may have read ... the list is endless. I don't see a reason to exclude posts on another forum from that list.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21