Psience Quest

Full Version: The Skeptiko post-trauma thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
My intention here isn't to censor anybody, but I've decided to move this thread to Other Stuff, since it concerns mostly another forum, not Psience Quest.
I wouldn't see this place as replacing the other. It's similar... just more inclusive, more member driven and better Big Grin
(2017-08-26, 09:02 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]Let's tell that fairly.

Actually, you had taken to being extremely rude to me on a series of occasions, knowing (or suspecting) that I would not intervene on my own account. Alex saw what you were writing, and asked you to contact him before resuming posting - which you decided not to do so. One brief discussion was all you needed to return (I guess you still can if you want).

I don't get paid to moderate the forum, I do it because I very much appreciate what that forum is about, but neither did I enjoy being regularly criticised in public for the actions I took. What few people realised, was that I spent quite some time emailing certain users, trying to get them to moderate their behaviour - you only saw the end result. I pointed out on several occasions that anyone was free to PM me about anything they were unhappy about. You did not do so.

My aim is to help SKEPTIKO get back on its feet again.

David

I had no email from you, David. I just got a banner saying I need to re-apply if I wanted to post anything further. I don't consider anything I said there to warrant a ban. In fact I consider the actions that Alex took to be far more inflammatory than anything I said or several of the others who were also kicked out.
(2017-08-26, 09:45 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]"..fairly", don't make me laugh, that's just more fantasy Bailey revisionism you've invented in your head... as I said on SF, I think your mental faculties are failing, I can see no  other explanation for your odd behavior...
Quote:Many people suffer a mental decline as they get older, and normally these are handled very tactfully. If I had felt my mental powers were failing, I would have found your comments deeply wounding.

As for the SF fiasco that you presided over... Moderators, and moderation decisions could not be discussed, why you even boasted that you didn't, and wouldn't, explain your decision to us SF plebs in a response to 'Laird'. For 3 weeks I pressed you for an explanation of your recent moderation decisions regarding deleting threads, and banning new members. You ignored every single attempt I made and never once responded to my complaints... what a silly way of dealing with the issues. Your own moderator colleague 'Laird' openly disagreed with your crazy decisions, his posts were deleted, and he eventually resigned due to irreconcilable differences. Then you kept silent as Tsikaris deleted thousands of posts over several years from SF.
Actually after a discussion, Alex agreed that the two consciousness threads were too valuable to be removed. In addition, several people gave me lists of useful threads in the other two forums, and I moved them over, so they are saved too.

Even the two forums that are scheduled to go, are still available so far, and anyone is free to browse them for valuable threads that should also be salvaged - just PM me on SKEPTIKO.

Finally, I would like to remind other SKEPTIKO  members (except for the few who are permanently banned) that the forum is still open for your use.

David
[/quote]
(2017-08-26, 09:55 PM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]I had no email from you, David. I just got a banner saying I need to re-apply if I wanted to post anything further. I don't consider anything I said there to warrant a ban. In fact I consider the actions that Alex took to be far more inflammatory than anything I said or several of the others who were also kicked out.

I did not ban you - I don't know what you wrote to upset Alex, but look, at the time there was a lot of aggressive posting going on.

Max_B was busy diagnosing me with Alzheimer's, etc, etc. I know I was pretty upset, and I am fairly sure Alex was too. I am sure Alex will let you back in, if you contact him, and I will put in a good word for you, if you like. I would like you back, as I would like everyone back who made thoughtful contributions.

David
(2017-08-26, 10:14 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]I did not ban you - I don't know what you wrote to upset Alex, but look, at the time there was a lot of aggressive posting going on.

Max_B was busy diagnosing me with Alzheimer's, etc, etc. I know I was pretty upset, and I am fairly sure Alex was too. I am sure Alex will let you back in, if you contact him, and I will put in a good word for you, if you like. I would like you back, as I would like everyone back who made thoughtful contributions.

David

What you don't seem to realise is that the reason people jumped ship this time as opposed to all the other times that people (including me) have left and come back is the authoritarian manner by which Alex just axed years of posting and banned members he took a dislike to. Also, people were getting pretty disillusioned about the direction of the podcasts and the way that they were becoming the new focus of discussion whereas the subjects that many of us joined Skeptiko to discuss were being sidelined or deleted. 

If you want to spend your days debating conspiracy theories, the Clintons, alt-right politics and devil worship that's fine. Not my cup of darjeeling though.
(2017-08-26, 10:04 PM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, I would like to remind other SKEPTIKO  members (except for the few who are permanently banned) that the forum is still open for your use.

David

Alex told me to leave Skeptiko until I'd summarized numerous studies for him, all because I dared challenge his lazy claim that a paper demonstrated something the authors of the paper explicitly stated it didn't demonstrate. His behavior on the forum became outrageous in my opinion, and that was before he bizarrely tapped weiler as a moderator and managed to smugly work in the phrases "biological robot" and "stuck on stupid" into every other sentence he uttered. Cheers again for getting this forum up and running!
I wouldn't go back to Skeptiko even if Alex allowed me back in without massaging his ego. I was banned for trying to save what made us a community, as were many others. Worse yet, I just saw that the deletion of posts is still going on. Even if those were trolling posts, that hardly raises confidence that we won't lose everything when another whim overcomes common sense.

Furthermore, has it ever occurred to you that Baccarat is most likely a parodic account and trolls just as much? I don't see much difference between his posts and those of the many trolls that attacked Skeptiko during the summer of 2016. Nevertheless, he is being given a free pass despite directly attacking Sci, malf, Silence, iPsoFacTo (and probably more users) with childish nonsense.
(2017-08-26, 09:45 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Your own moderator colleague 'Laird' openly disagreed with your crazy decisions, his posts were deleted

I don't really want to wade into this fraught discussion, but am just curious about your claim here, Max_B. As far as I know, none of my posts on Skeptiko were deleted, but my knowledge might be lacking, as one doesn't necessarily get notified when one's posts are deleted.
(2017-08-27, 08:41 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I thought they had gone, IIRC some posts disappeared when T involved himself, but I've checked, and it seems your initial disagreement posts are still there, along with Baileys admission that he doesn't discuss his moderation decisions anymore. However your other posts disappeared when T deleted the two forums. particularly the stuff in the global warming thread, following which you resigned. I can't find posts I'm sure I made either... like calling Bailey '...Senile...'.

Have just taken a look and can't identify any posts of mine which were deleted. The global warming thread is still there, with (as best I can tell) all the posts I made still there too. Anyhow, it's no big deal, was just curious about your claim.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21