Are spirits electromagnetic energy?

65 Replies, 1513 Views

(2023-02-24, 04:57 PM)David001 Wrote: Do you mean actually censoring links in some way? I'm definitely against that. I wince at definite misuse of scientific ideas, but honestly, nobody knows where to draw the line - what do you do with expressions like "vibrational state"?

No, somehow that is a misreading of what I was saying. My thoughts were not at all to do with censorship or anything like that. I was merely expressing the way I look at things, something which applies to myself only. Others may follow their own path.
(2023-02-25, 07:40 AM)Smaw Wrote: I would say 1000% this. Mediums are not scientists, if a medium starts talking about elctromagnetic energy I'm likely to take them less seriously cause they obviously don't know what they're on about outside of the feelings they're getting. Leave the research of the means of mediumistic communication to the scientists that can study it properly, lest we fall into legitimate woo territory. 

If spirits are some kind of electromagnetic energy though it's gonna be fun when the heat death of the universe comes about.

Well, in that post I was trying to tread a balanced path, basically to not respond by taking the person less seriously. The difficult task is to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater. What I was trying to draw attention to is that one has to keep listening, to recognise what may be nuggets or gems to be found among the surrounding more mundane content.

As for the heat death scenario, that brings to mind Asimov's short story, "The Last Question" which has been mentioned once or twice on this forum.
(2023-02-24, 11:45 AM)David001 Wrote: In other words ordinary electromagnetic light can continuously transform into the other type of light.

And what exactly is the other type of light ?
(2023-03-03, 10:04 AM)tim Wrote: And what exactly is the other type of light ?

How the hell do I know?

However, the fundamental problem about the conscious realm and the physical realm is that although they seem so different, they clearly must interact - otherwise our conscious minds could not control our bodies, to name but one problem.

How do you see that interaction happening?

David
(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: How the hell do I know?

However, the fundamental problem about the conscious realm and the physical realm is that although they seem so different, they clearly must interact - otherwise our conscious minds could not control our bodies, to name but one problem.

David

You believe this because you are a dualist. For those believing in idealism like Bernado Kastrup and Donald Hoffman this interaction is not needed as they believe the physical world is not real.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sbu's post:
  • Ninshub
(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: How the hell do I know?

Well, excuse me but I thought you were homing in on it's nature from your bedroom, David, it being just a question of time. Maybe you haven't had long enough. 

(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: However, the fundamental problem about the conscious realm 

What is the conscious realm ? 

(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: they clearly must interact - otherwise our conscious minds could not control our bodies, to name but one problem.

Yes, they must. But that doesn't mean we can understand the nature of whatever that "world/dimension" is. As I've suggested, and more to the point much greater minds than mine have said, it is an unapproachable, unanswerable question, a waste of time, therefore. 

(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: How do you see that interaction happening?

Maybe because psychokineses seems to be a fact but how that works, how the hell do I know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • nbtruthman
(2023-03-03, 12:30 PM)sbu Wrote: You believe this because you are a dualist. For those believing in idealism like Bernado Kastrup and Donald Hoffman this interaction is not needed as they believe the physical world is not real.

My feeling is that reality might ultimately be Idealist, the concept of Idealism makes it very hard to think about science at all. I mean if we live in a consciousness only universe, I don't see why any laws need exist at all - because if you like the consciousness in question could throw in arbitrary decisions whenever it liked. Maybe with enough research a reason may emerge why this is impossible.

If we do live in an Idealist reality, clearly a lot of reality seems to follow logic, so it is a fair bet that the interaction between the conscious realm and physical reality will turn out to have some sort of explanation.

David
(2023-03-03, 12:30 PM)sbu Wrote: You believe this because you are a dualist. For those believing in idealism like Bernado Kastrup and Donald Hoffman this interaction is not needed as they believe the physical world is not real.

I thought they believed that the physical world is real, but that it is a derivation, a creation of mind?

The physical world is real, but mind is of a higher order of real, being primary, while the physical is secondary.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 3 users Like Valmar's post:
  • Ninshub, stephenw, tim
(2023-03-03, 01:18 PM)tim Wrote: Well, excuse me but I thought you were homing in on it's nature from your bedroom, David, it being just a question of time. Maybe you haven't had long enough. 
I don't work in our bedroom! Obviously, like most of us here, I'd love to have a sudden penetrating insight od that sort, but I think if I do, it will be in the eafterlife.
Quote: 
What is the conscious realm ? 

Well I tend to assume that consciousness in non-physical - it is VERY hard to explain in physical terms - so I'd guess it is closely related to the afterlife. I think the existence of consciousness (and maybe life itself) is the biggest anomaly in science.
Quote:Yes, they must. But that doesn't mean we can understand the nature of whatever that "world/dimension" is. As I've suggested, and more to the point much greater minds than mine have said, it is an unapproachable, unanswerable question, a waste of time, therefore. 

Maybe because psychokineses seems to be a fact but how that works, how the hell do I know.
I guess in a sense, everything we discuss here is a waste of time - in the sense that we won't get the complete answer, at least this side of death.

David
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Typoz
(2023-03-03, 10:44 AM)David001 Wrote: However, the fundamental problem about the conscious realm and the physical realm is that although they seem so different, they clearly must interact - otherwise our conscious minds could not control our bodies, to name but one problem.

Why must they "interact" in the sense that you believe that they are somehow disconnected or separate?

Idealists believe that the mental is primary, with the physical being derived from the mental.

Therefore, there is no disconnect or separation ~ they interact because they are composed of the same base substance. Just manifested differently.

This is a realm composed of rigid, stable "laws", for want of a better word. Strong and rigid habits, patterns.

That is why we cannot just do whatever we want ~ our mental power is all too often not even close enough to bend these habits and patterns, these "laws".

Occasionally, some people have mental powers sufficient to bend these habits and patterns for a short time ~ psychokinesis being the most prominent example.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 1 user Likes Valmar's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version