Dietary (and related) ethics [split from Do plants have minds?]

65 Replies, 864 Views

(2024-07-29, 03:06 PM)nbtruthman Wrote: I think the factory farming abomination will always remain to some extent or another, though reduced somewhat by slow dietary changes and development of economically practical industrial-level lab-grown meat production. 
I think very, very few meat eaters would opt for lab-grown meat. If forced to choose between that or a vegetarian/vegan diet, I'd reluctantly choose the latter. IMHO, messing about with our diet in ways like that is incredibly dangerous.

David
(2024-08-24, 10:31 AM)David001 Wrote: I think very, very few meat eaters would opt for lab-grown meat. If forced to choose between that or a vegetarian/vegan diet, I'd reluctantly choose the latter.  IMHO, messing about with our diet in ways like that is incredibly dangerous.

David

I originally thought this way but there are so many potential negative effects related to meat products I am not sure it would have as much resistance as you think. Very much depends on the ability to side step certain issues like the cancer risk of bacon.

I personally would probably rather go for vegetable based fake meats, but I could see myself eating some lab grown meat after a few years of honestly letting others be the "guinea pigs" who hop on the tren[d].
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-08-24, 08:03 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 2 times in total.)
(2024-08-24, 07:09 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I originally thought this way but there are so many potential negative effects related to meat products I am not sure it would have as much resistance as you think. Very much depends on the ability to side step certain issues like the cancer risk of bacon.

I personally would probably rather go for vegetable based fake meats, but I could see myself eating some lab grown meat after a few years of honestly letting others be the "guinea pigs" who hop on the tren[d].

I could reply to your bacon comment, but I won't because I would go way off topic and into politics in the broadest sense.

I think that in a broad sense the concept of not eating ultra-processed food is a good one. I can't think of anything more ultra-processed than lab-grown meat!

David
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-08-24, 08:53 PM)David001 Wrote: I could reply to your bacon comment, but I won't because I would go way off topic and into politics in the broadest sense.

I think that in a broad sense the concept of not eating ultra-processed food is a good one. I can't think of anything more ultra-processed than lab-grown meat!

David

Yeah, the processed food problem is a fair point.

I think lab-grown meat will face a lot of resistance, at first. But I think the rise of veganism, along with near vegetarians who eat eggs and sea food, shows a lot of people are at minimum concerned by factory farming. On top of that we have the industries dedicated to vegetable based meat substitutes.

I suspect the combination of those two factors will, over time, lead to lab-meat's greater acceptance. But only time will tell.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Brian
(2024-08-24, 10:03 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I suspect the combination of those two factors will, over time, lead to lab-meat's greater acceptance. But only time will tell.
That very much depends on whether the stuff does those who eat it much harm. There are so many things that could go wrong.

For example, while oranges are considered good for you, orange juice is not anymore. The difference is the speed at which your body can absorb its nutrients. I dare say there might be similar problems with LGM.

David
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
I love my glass of OJ in the morning.  Extra pulp and it makes my day!

Lab grown meat seems a likely potential future and a healthy one.  Feels biased to assume its biochemical make-up will somehow be harmful at this stage.  Time will tell I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silence's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version