Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

Orch-OR discussion


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    49 Replies

Will, 2017-08-20, 07:34 PM

This is a few years old, but I thought it was interesting and warranted more discussion than it got on Skeptiko: a back-and-forth between the Orch-OR crew and some of their critics.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...4513001188
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pi

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Relationship between meaning and the differences in size of physical structures


Connected philosophy forum (metaphysics, ontology, theology, ethics)    12 Replies

Hjortron, 2017-08-20, 11:33 AM

We've all heard it said from time to time something along the following lines:

"The universe is so overwhelmingly huge, we are a speck of dust, a pale blue dot in the vast ocean of space", etc, and the conclusion many draw from this is often along the lines of "Therefore, our lives and indeed the

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Psiencequest.net url landing page


Feedback and announcements    6 Replies

Max_B, 2017-08-20, 10:17 AM

Surely we don't want this to be what people see when the type in Psiencequest.net

[Image: psi_page.jpg]


  Open Thread

Physical mediumship: apports through the mouth


Afterlife contact forum (deathbed visions, ADC, mediumship)    38 Replies

Ninshub, 2017-08-20, 05:04 AM

One trance physical medium who usually brings apports through the mouth. Is this a legit practice, or is it considered more or only legitimate if the apports are not coming through the physical medium's body?




  Open Thread

From Skeptic to Believer: News Anchor Gets a First Time Reading from a Medium


Afterlife contact forum (deathbed visions, ADC, mediumship)    127 Replies

Ninshub, 2017-08-20, 03:32 AM

Just came across this and thought I'd share it FWIW.




  Open Thread

New laboratory PK research (today a rarity)


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    2 Replies

nbtruthman, 2017-08-19, 11:13 PM

There still seems to be a little research going on in the field of physical mediumship and PK, though apparently mostly not in the USA but in countries like Argentina and Brazil without as powerful fossilized anti-paranormal establishments. This paper is in the most recent issue of the Journal of th

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution


Connected science forum (evolution, ID, cosmology, fine-tuning, quantum mechanics)    1509 Replies

Kamarling, 2017-08-19, 10:21 PM

Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution

I happened across this blog while searching for something else. It is quite long and I haven't

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

How do you define the ego?


Spirituality and magic forum: science and practice    22 Replies

Ninshub, 2017-08-19, 09:36 PM

People often bring up the ego in spiritual discussions (I saw a lot of it on the Skeptiko forum for one thing - Stan W., I think you use the word a lot Wink). But I'm starting this thread to hopefully hear people who buy into the concept, or use it, in one way or another, to attempt to define it. What

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Film podcasts


General off-topic forum    No Replies

Ninshub, 2017-08-19, 07:04 PM

This is a good film history one, that's gotten rave reviews and is frequently in the top 100 Podcasts in ITunes or something like that: [i]You Must Remember This[url=http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/]: The Secret and/or Forgotten

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

2004 EEG study by Kittenis et al.


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    28 Replies

Chris, 2017-08-19, 06:06 PM

I thought it might be interesting to discuss this paper from 2004, in which Kittenis, Caryl and Stevens exposed a "sender" to flashes of light while recording the EEG of a "receiver" in a different room:
https://koestlerunit.files.wordpress.com...l-2004.pdf

I saw this figure i

» READ MORE


  Open Thread