Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

Psience Quest Interview No. 4: Rudolf Smit and Titus Rivas


Psience Quest interviews    68 Replies

Vortex, 2018-02-09, 05:04 PM

“THE SELF DOES NOT DIE”:
INVESTIGATIONS, INTERPRETATIONS AND IMPLICATIONS
[align=center][size=larg

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

The Faeries and Consciousness


General paranormal phenomena forum    48 Replies

neilrushton, 2018-02-09, 12:39 AM

Over at my blogsite Dead but Dreaming I investigate both folkloric and modern faeries, and their place in various theories of consciousness. I hope some PsienceQuest members might enjoy a visit...


  Open Thread

RIP John Anthony West


Connected science forum (evolution, ID, cosmology, fine-tuning, quantum mechanics)    2 Replies

Kamarling, 2018-02-08, 02:32 AM

John Anthony West was someone who held my interest, along with other "alternative archaeology" figures, throughout most of the 1990s. I enjoyed the way he spiked the hubris of the orthodoxy of Egyptology and I'm sure he will be missed by all in the field.

Here's a nice obituary from Greg at the D

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Facilitated communication


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    12 Replies

Chris, 2018-02-07, 08:58 AM

Courtesy of the Daily Grail, there's an interesting blog article in the Guardian by Chris French and Michael Marshall (of the Merseyside Skeptics [sic] Society), questioning whether a child suffering from severe cerebral palsy is really able to communicate with the help of a facilitator, or whether

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Sensory Induced OBEs


Out-of-body experience (OBE), astral travel, and lucid dream forum    1 Replies

Desperado, 2018-02-05, 10:38 AM

As usual, the title of this article is rather sensationalist in nature but nonetheless the study it's referencing is still interesting enough. http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1113...in-050515/

I really can't understand why being able to

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

What theories of consciousness are falsifiable


Consciousness science forum    38 Replies

Desperado, 2018-02-05, 09:46 AM

I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I do know I've heard the accusation of dualistic theories of consciousness such as the filter model and the transmission model being unfalsifiable in nature. It seems pretty strange to me, because it seems pretty easy to prove either of these theories w

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Telekinesis


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    No Replies

Valmar, 2018-02-04, 10:05 AM

Feel free to post any known or suspected cases of telekinesis. Would be interesting to see how common it is.


  Open Thread

Something has gone very wrong with the SPR's psi encyclopaedia


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    17 Replies

Chris, 2018-02-04, 12:16 AM

The SPR's psi encyclopaedia was intended to be an antidote to the unbalanced sceptical coverage of psi by Wikipedia. But judging by material like this, I feel it's in danger of ending up equally unbalanced in the opposite direction:
https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/artic...r-death-co

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Why Machines Will Never be Conscious


Philosophy of mind forum    2 Replies

Valmar, 2018-02-01, 06:51 AM

Why Machines Will Never be Conscious

http://www.novaspivack.com/science/why-m...-conscious


  Open Thread

Hermit of Loreto


General paranormal phenomena forum    2 Replies

Slorri, 2018-01-31, 11:49 PM

Now this was interesting.
A hermit in Loreto, Italy, had a premonition and a wish back in 1980; About a certain man in our time.

Hermit of Loreto
[color=#000000]

[/col

» READ MORE


  Open Thread