Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

Immaterial or Phase Shifted?


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    No Replies

Mediochre, 2018-02-28, 07:57 PM

I've noticed there's a tendency to see anything to do with OBE, NDE and the like as being associated with something that is not of the material world and I eventually noticed that I don't have that view. Also that I'm not sure why it's considered immaterial. Personally I think these things suggest f

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Lucrecia de León


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    1 Replies

Chris, 2018-02-28, 08:56 AM

Courtesy of the SPR Facebook page, here's a blog post about a recent book by Kelly Bulkeley, entitled "Lucrecia the Dreamer: Prophecy, Cognitive Science, and the Spanish Inquisition", about a historical case I'd never heard of - the apparently precognitive dreams of Lucrecia de León in 16th-century

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Matt Dillahunty and NDEs


Near-death experience (NDE) forum    4 Replies

Desperado, 2018-02-27, 07:45 AM

Thought this was an interesting video that got a little mention on Skeptiko but I'd like to bring it up again. Apparently the NDE part starts around 11:20 into the video. It seems he's trying to toss NDEs up to evolution  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5CkXf92VJs

Thoughts?


  Open Thread

Placebo


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    26 Replies

Chris, 2018-02-26, 08:10 PM

On another thread, Steve001 posted a link to a YouTube video about homeopathy. Among other things, it mentioned the placebo effect, and explained it in these terms: "If people believe that something will help them

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Improbability Principle


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    85 Replies

fls, 2018-02-26, 05:52 PM

Desperado mentioned this book on a thread in the Extended Conscio

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Mental Evolution and Psi


General paranormal phenomena forum    32 Replies

stephenw, 2018-02-26, 03:00 PM

The idea that physical bodies evolved is a standard and basic idea that is supported by data collection about all living things.  Given that the smallest unit of life is a single-cell organism, it is simple to view complex organisms as multi-cellular systems where the cells have developed specialize

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

BBC Programme Today... Who Am I? The Brain and Personality


Consciousness science forum    1 Replies

Max_B, 2018-02-26, 11:26 AM

Just caught a part of this BBC Radio 4 programme this morning...

Who Am I? The Brain and Personality

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09smgqf#play

This type of discussion doesn't make a great deal of sense to me unless we a least first, try and tie down peoples ideas about the nature of pe

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Homeopathy: the alternative big pharma.


General paranormal phenomena forum    5 Replies

Steve001, 2018-02-25, 02:17 PM

Here's a short video. https://youtu.be/8HslUzw35mc


  Open Thread

Guillaume Néry: The exhilarating peace of freediving


General off-topic forum    No Replies

Laird, 2018-02-20, 01:05 PM

I thought this touched tangentially on some of the themes of this forum. It's also fascinating in its own right:




  Open Thread

Cryptographic proof of survival


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    14 Replies

Chris, 2018-02-18, 11:51 AM

Courtesy of the SPR Facebook page, here are a couple of blog posts about Robert Thouless's attempts to provide proof of survival by leaving coded messages, which could be deciphered by keywords to be communicated after his death:
https://www.futilitycloset.com/2018/02/1...-delivery/
http://sci

» READ MORE


  Open Thread