Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

The New Scientist on Scientism


Connected science forum (evolution, ID, cosmology, fine-tuning, quantum mechanics)    4 Replies

Kamarling, 2018-03-13, 06:36 PM

I have to say that I was surprised to see this article appear on the web site of the New Scientist which has always struck me as a rather conservative, mainstream publication. The NS, unfortunately, only gives limited access to its pages - a couple of free views before the paywall comes down, so I h

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Phoenix man turns to social media for help with paranormal activity


Ghost, poltergeist, and spirit forum    No Replies

macqdor, 2018-03-13, 04:15 AM

Phoenix man turns to social media for help with paranormal activity

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc...984922001/

[font="arial, sans-serif"]It starte

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Donald Hoffman: In layman's language


Consciousness science forum    3 Replies

Kamarling, 2018-03-12, 08:24 PM

I like and respect Donald Hoffmann but I sometimes have difficulty following his language because I'm not familiar with the scientific terms. Quite often he can be found in videos debating with other consciousness theorists like Daniel Dennett and the debate becomes heavily laden with such terminolo

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Grimerica: physician’s untold stories


Afterlife contact forum (deathbed visions, ADC, mediumship)    No Replies

Reece, 2018-03-12, 12:01 AM

Interesting stuff:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/grim...0390686638


  Open Thread

Dr. Alan Vaughan


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    No Replies

Ninshub, 2018-03-11, 07:02 PM

Recent upload by the Parapsychology Foundation.

Doorways to Higher Consciousness by Dr. Alan Vaughan



[i]Early in our perspectives series the Late Dr. Alan Vaughan presented his lecture "Doorways to Higher Consciousness.”

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Watched Ex Maxhina again...


Connected philosophy forum (metaphysics, ontology, theology, ethics)    4 Replies

Pollux, 2018-03-10, 02:47 AM

Watched Ex Machina again, and was wondering; are we absolutely "wired" to respond to a likeness of a human, even if we now it is not? Would we be fooled, even though we "know" that we shouldn't? I mean, we mostly would be flipping back

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Could psi have a materialist explanation?


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    49 Replies

Desperado, 2018-03-08, 06:01 AM

Now, something to note here: I'm talking about actual explanations beyond the usual coincidence and fraud hand waves. As in if psi is a real phenomenon, then could it have a materialistic mechanism? Like what Ed May has tried to claim with his "retrocausality" approach. Just the topic for one second

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Parapsychology vs. psychology or vs. good research practices


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    2 Replies

fls, 2018-03-03, 07:21 PM

The recent discussion over whether Bem's "Feeling the Future" deserves retraction, plus claims from parapsychologists about the quality of their work in comparison to psychology, seems to set the bar too low for parapsychology. There is no question that the practices which psychologists engage in (t

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

ET Contact: What The Statistics Say


UFO/UAP forum    No Replies

Pssst, 2018-03-02, 11:13 PM

Rey Hernandez, co-founder of FREE, has released their findings from surveys of ~ 4,000 ET contactees misnomered as "alien abduction" victims. I have taken the survey, it is three parts, and takes several hours to complete. It is taken anonymously, over a period

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Psychology vs Parapsychology


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    6 Replies

Desperado, 2018-03-02, 09:09 AM

This was a rather large controversy a couple years back in the world of psychology, but my question is: does this carry over into parapsychology at all? I've heard a couple times before that the standards of parapsychologists are much more tight then other areas of science in what they publish or no

» READ MORE


  Open Thread