Psience Quest

Full Version: What should forum policy be on defamatory posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(2017-09-22, 12:44 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, Steve. I asked neurosurgeon Spetzler whether Pam Reynolds brain waves were flat when she heard the conversation about her arteries being too small. The answer was yes.

Linda spent about 3-4 pages trying to make this fact disappear. Nothing about faulty reasoning, just playing silly games and winding me up.

Refresh my memory. How were the brainwaves detected?
(2017-09-22, 02:33 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]Refresh my memory. How were the brainwaves detected?

Through EEG to cover the cortex (upper brain) and through evoked potential (BAER) to cover the (lower brain) stem. Activity monitored by technicians all the way through the operation.
(2017-09-21, 09:39 PM)Dante Wrote: [ -> ]Not even a little bit. If someone chooses to claim expertise in an area, that's their decision. Someone who is an expert could contribute just as well here without saying they're an expert... the value obviously comes from what they say and how they go about it, not the fact that they're an expert. How would anything said here keep those with knowledge and experience away? It's their decision to say if they are an expert or not, and their input can be of value without them saying so.

I'm not sure how you concluded that this meant people with knowledge and experience be kept away.
Okay. I got the impression that people were equating "I have this knowledge and experience because I have this profession (or hobby)" with "I am an expert" or even "because I have expertise I expect to be regarded as an authority". As long as nobody is suggesting that, I don't see any reason that people mentioning their profession need to worry about having their personal information posted. On the other hand, I don't know why we're discussing it, then, because I don't remember an example of that ever happening.

Linda
(2017-09-22, 12:59 AM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]Allowed to join? Was there a discussion about not allowing Fls to join? Are you a mod? If so, what do you mean "allowed to join"? Did the mods get together and vote on allowing certain people to join? I've been a member of skeptiko since the beginning, am a proponent, and thing fls adds more to the forum than 90% of the proponents I've encountered over the years, obfuscation and all. Allowed to join? What kind of bullshit is that? I hope a similar vote was taken on the super troll SandyB.
Apparently there was discussion about whether I would be allowed to join. I was notified about the discussion and that I would be allowed to stay only if I agreed not to post on the ECP forums. I have no idea whether these discussions took place with respect to any other members.

I didn't mind agreeing. I stayed away voluntarily from similar forums on Skeptiko. I was always a fan of proponents feeling that they had a safe place to post. Plus, to be honest, those discussions tend not to be of any interest to me anyways, just like many people are uninterested in the critical discussions which take place in the skeptic/proponent areas.

Linda
(2017-09-22, 04:44 AM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]42
Lol

Linda
(2017-09-22, 12:09 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Linda is an issue with some of us because of her games. I don't think you are quite aware of the history of all this.

I'm aware of the history and I'm very glad that Linda is a part of this forum. Welcome, Linda. 

I think the forum would be a lot more profitable if each post were evaluated on it's own merits.
(2017-09-22, 04:23 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm aware of the history and I'm very glad that Linda is a part of this forum. Welcome, Linda. 

I think the forum would be a lot more profitable if each post were evaluated on it's own merits.

Yes, once again that's your opinion.
(2017-09-22, 04:23 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm aware of the history and I'm very glad that Linda is a part of this forum. Welcome, Linda. 

Thank you Chuck.

I think trying to read my posts as part of a mythical narrative leads to confusion. It's simpler to just take what I say at face value, as with anyone's posts. So far I've been very impressed with this forum. It seems to be very much the kind of forum that people (including myself) have been looking for (and bemoaning the lack of) for years.

Thank you to the originators, and to the mods, who are doing a great job of trying to keep this a place for civil and open discussion on topics which don't get the attention we'd like.

Linda
(2017-09-22, 05:01 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, once again that's your opinion.

And that's your opinion that this is my opinion.
(2017-09-22, 12:44 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, Steve. I asked neurosurgeon Spetzler whether Pam Reynolds brain waves were flat when she heard the conversation about her arteries being too small. The answer was yes.

Linda spent about 3-4 pages trying to make this fact disappear. Nothing about faulty reasoning, just playing silly games and winding me up.

It's your choice to be wound up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33