What should forum policy be on defamatory posts?

361 Replies, 43132 Views

(2017-09-22, 09:08 AM)Brian Wrote: For what it is wiorth, I'm glad fls has joined as I find her refreshingly tolerant of other peoples views and I have no idea why many proponents think her the devil incarnate.  Maybe she produces cognitive dissonance in some people?

I believe that is the most likely reason. I knew of fls when she posted on jref. Her style of posting was the same there and I don't ever recall anyone accusing her of obfuscation or having any ebil motives. Machiavellian intents are only thrown her way by those that don't cotton to her always poking holes in their reasoning.
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-22, 11:33 AM)Brian Wrote: Lots of passion from all sides.  Maybe it's more worthy to discuss issues instead of attacking people?

Steady on. Let's not go too far. This is the Internet, you know.
[-] The following 2 users Like Guest's post:
  • berkelon, Brian
(2017-09-22, 11:33 AM)Brian Wrote: Lots of passion from all sides.  Maybe it's more worthy to discuss issues instead of attacking people?

Linda is an issue with some of us because of her games. I don't think you are quite aware of the history of all this.
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-22, 12:24 PM)Brian Wrote: Perhaps not.  When I was on Skeptiko I wondered about it and I looked back over all the posts of hers and Arouets that I could find without becoming obsessed to see if I could find out what it was all about and I found people attacking them for no reason and assuming motives that I just couldn't see.  Is everybody certain they know somebody elses motives.  Often when we disagree strongly with somebody's position we become defensive and blame the other person for something they cannot help; i.e. believing something different to us.  I've done it, you've done it and I'm sure everybody else has done it.  You're right I don't know the history of this but perhaps it is for the best that it remains history?

Good points. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-22, 11:32 AM)Steve001 Wrote: I believe that is the most likely reason. I knew of fls when she posted on jref. Her style of posting was the same there and I don't ever recall anyone accusing her of obfuscation or having any ebil motives. Machiavellian intents are only thrown her way by those that don't cotton to her always poking holes in their reasoning.

Not really, Steve. I asked neurosurgeon Spetzler whether Pam Reynolds brain waves were flat when she heard the conversation about her arteries being too small. The answer was yes.

Linda spent about 3-4 pages trying to make this fact disappear. Nothing about faulty reasoning, just playing silly games and winding me up.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-22, 12:45 PM by tim.)
(2017-09-22, 12:44 PM)tim Wrote: Not really, Steve. I asked neurosurgeon Spetzler whether Pam Reynolds brain waves were flat when she heard the conversation about her arteries being too small. The answer was yes.

Linda spent about 3-4 pages trying to make this fact disappear. Nothing about faulty reasoning, just playing silly games and winding me up.

Refresh my memory. How were the brainwaves detected?
(2017-09-22, 02:33 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Refresh my memory. How were the brainwaves detected?

Through EEG to cover the cortex (upper brain) and through evoked potential (BAER) to cover the (lower brain) stem. Activity monitored by technicians all the way through the operation.
(2017-09-21, 09:39 PM)Dante Wrote: Not even a little bit. If someone chooses to claim expertise in an area, that's their decision. Someone who is an expert could contribute just as well here without saying they're an expert... the value obviously comes from what they say and how they go about it, not the fact that they're an expert. How would anything said here keep those with knowledge and experience away? It's their decision to say if they are an expert or not, and their input can be of value without them saying so.

I'm not sure how you concluded that this meant people with knowledge and experience be kept away.
Okay. I got the impression that people were equating "I have this knowledge and experience because I have this profession (or hobby)" with "I am an expert" or even "because I have expertise I expect to be regarded as an authority". As long as nobody is suggesting that, I don't see any reason that people mentioning their profession need to worry about having their personal information posted. On the other hand, I don't know why we're discussing it, then, because I don't remember an example of that ever happening.

Linda

• View a Printable Version