Psience Quest

Full Version: What should forum policy be on defamatory posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(2017-09-22, 02:23 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]She was banned on Skeptiko but was free to join this forum. Some didn't want her here - and yes, I'm one of them, but I didn't push for her to be barred. Nor did anyone else from what I recall. No, I'm not a moderator nor an admin - I didn't want to be. Moderators do have a right to deny access to trouble-makers, as with any internet forum, so I'm not sure why you should think that bullshit. Clearly that didn't happen for Linda and if SandyB isn't here, it is because of her own choice - not because you or I or any moderator blocked her.

It's just great that she was allowed to join.
(2017-09-22, 04:20 AM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]It's just great that she was allowed to join.

Making the same point with added sarcasm achieves what, exactly?
(2017-09-22, 04:35 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]Making the same point with added sarcasm achieves what, exactly?

(2017-09-22, 12:59 AM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]Allowed to join? Was there a discussion about not allowing Fls to join? Are you a mod? If so, what do you mean "allowed to join"? Did the mods get together and vote on allowing certain people to join? I've been a member of skeptiko since the beginning, am a proponent, and thing fls adds more to the forum than 90% of the proponents I've encountered over the years, obfuscation and all. Allowed to join? What kind of bullshit is that? I hope a similar vote was taken on the super troll SandyB.

A passionate defence, Berkelon. I'm glad that you've noted the obfuscation, though. Maybe you could give us an insight into her motives (if you have one) for doing that and help us to get along better ?
(2017-09-22, 04:20 AM)berkelon Wrote: [ -> ]It's just great that she was allowed to join.

Just referring back to our previous conversation Berkelon, I can't tell whether you're being sarky there or not.
(2017-09-22, 09:08 AM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]For what it is wiorth, I'm glad fls has joined as I find her refreshingly tolerant of other peoples views and I have no idea why many proponents think her the devil incarnate.  Maybe she produces cognitive dissonance in some people?

I believe that is the most likely reason. I knew of fls when she posted on jref. Her style of posting was the same there and I don't ever recall anyone accusing her of obfuscation or having any ebil motives. Machiavellian intents are only thrown her way by those that don't cotton to her always poking holes in their reasoning.

Chris

(2017-09-22, 11:33 AM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of passion from all sides.  Maybe it's more worthy to discuss issues instead of attacking people?

Steady on. Let's not go too far. This is the Internet, you know.
(2017-09-22, 11:33 AM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of passion from all sides.  Maybe it's more worthy to discuss issues instead of attacking people?

Linda is an issue with some of us because of her games. I don't think you are quite aware of the history of all this.
(2017-09-22, 12:24 PM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps not.  When I was on Skeptiko I wondered about it and I looked back over all the posts of hers and Arouets that I could find without becoming obsessed to see if I could find out what it was all about and I found people attacking them for no reason and assuming motives that I just couldn't see.  Is everybody certain they know somebody elses motives.  Often when we disagree strongly with somebody's position we become defensive and blame the other person for something they cannot help; i.e. believing something different to us.  I've done it, you've done it and I'm sure everybody else has done it.  You're right I don't know the history of this but perhaps it is for the best that it remains history?

Good points. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
(2017-09-22, 11:32 AM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that is the most likely reason. I knew of fls when she posted on jref. Her style of posting was the same there and I don't ever recall anyone accusing her of obfuscation or having any ebil motives. Machiavellian intents are only thrown her way by those that don't cotton to her always poking holes in their reasoning.

Not really, Steve. I asked neurosurgeon Spetzler whether Pam Reynolds brain waves were flat when she heard the conversation about her arteries being too small. The answer was yes.

Linda spent about 3-4 pages trying to make this fact disappear. Nothing about faulty reasoning, just playing silly games and winding me up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33