Psience Quest

Full Version: What should forum policy be on defamatory posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(2017-09-25, 12:32 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I rather think the term 'ignorant' is more open to misinterpretation than 'unkind'.

Perhaps its a cultural thing, but to me it sounds rather more derogatory than the original wording.

I use ignorance in it's definitive form as a lack of knowledge or understanding. As in ignorance can be overcome, but stupidity is forever.
(2017-09-25, 09:58 AM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the purpose of this forum was discussion? I guess pointing out contradiction could be done in an unkind way but not doing it isn’t helping anyone as far as I can see. Someone else pointing out seeming contradictions (as long as they’re relevant) politely is a good way to reassess what we think and learn isn’t? In fact it’s the point of debate isn’t it?

The debate here has been, generally, pretty polite really (though there have been exceptions) by online discussion standards as far as I can see.

If I really can’t stand being challenged (and some days I’m not in the mood for it) then I don’t post, or wait until I am.

I agree that a lot can be learned when someone points out inconsistencies in our viewpoints or behaviors.
(2017-09-25, 12:38 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I use ignorance in it's definitive form as a lack of knowledge or understanding. As in ignorance can be overcome, but stupidity is forever.

The problem is Chuck is that Kamarling is English (born anyway) (is he a Kiwi now ? ? And the word ignorant is a strong insult.
You've made it plain though you don't mean it like that. I hope the word Kiwi isn't an insult LOL.
(2017-09-25, 01:29 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is Chuck is that Kamarling is English (born anyway) (is he a Kiwi now ? ? And the word ignorant is a strong insult.
You've made it plain though you don't mean it like that. I hope the word Kiwi isn't an insult LOL.

Not to be pedantic, but anyone who thinks ignorance is an insult is simply ignorant of the definition. We are all ignorant of huge swathes of knowledge.
I could clarify my original response. For some folks it may be unkindness to point out the inconsistencies of another. Another may point them out through ignorance. Another may point them out sadistically. Another may point out inconsistencies from a feeling of superiority. Another may point out inconsistencies out of sheer silliness. Others may do it as a matter of fact. 

I don't see why it really matters.
(2017-09-25, 01:35 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be pedantic, but anyone who thinks ignorance is an insult is simply ignorant of the definition. We are all ignorant of huge swathes of knowledge.

Not to be repetitive but that's not right.

synonyms:
rude, impolite, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, unmannerly, ungracious, discourteous, insensitive, uncivil, ill-humoured, surly, sullen; More
boorish, oafish, loutish, crude, coarse, vulgar, gross
"she could be very ignorant, and he had no intention of getting in an argument"

antonyms:
polite
[*]3.
West Indian
(2017-09-25, 02:04 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be repetitive but that's not right.

synonyms:
rude, impolite, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, unmannerly, ungracious, discourteous, insensitive, uncivil, ill-humoured, surly, sullen; More
boorish, oafish, loutish, crude, coarse, vulgar, gross
"she could be very ignorant, and he had no intention of getting in an argument"

antonyms:
polite
[*]3.
West Indian
[*]

Whatever. The original and main definition is a lack of knowledge or understanding. It is value neutral. I've already stated in what manner I used the word. I can't account for every connotation that has developed surrounding the word. I've never personally used the word ignorance in any manner other than the way that I have stated. And I've defined within my post how I used it.
(2017-09-25, 02:21 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ][*]

Whatever. The original and main definition is a lack of knowledge or understanding. It is value neutral. I've already stated in what manner I used the word. I can't account for every connotation that has developed surrounding the word. I've never personally used the word ignorance in any manner other than the way that I have stated. And I've defined within my post how I used it.
[*]

Looks like you may have been ignorant of the way your words might be interpreted.
(2017-09-25, 02:28 PM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ][*]

Looks like you may have been ignorant of the way your words might be interpreted.
[*]

Yeah and I wouldn't wanna be in Chuck's boots when Dave gets into town, Obiwan !
(2017-09-25, 02:28 PM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ][*]

[*]

I'm ignorant of nearly everything. So I wouldn't doubt it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33