Meat diets vs. vegetarianism

160 Replies, 18437 Views

(2019-07-27, 01:57 PM)manjit Wrote: Anyway, just thought I'd let you know I decided the other day to go vegan(ish) and cut out the dairy products. It's a little bit daunting, but I felt I had to do it.

Excellent! I'm so glad you made that decision.

(2019-07-27, 01:57 PM)manjit Wrote: Now, I've spent quite some time researching this but still have no clarity and this is a most important issue for me........which vegan milk tastes best with cereal & in your tea??! Smile After doing a bit of reading, I bought a oatmilk and ricemilk (I think?) pint......but I've been too scared to try either yet  Sad LOL

Hehe. Hard to say as I don't eat cereal or drink tea! My favourite non-dairy milk in general though is almond - I sometimes have it in smoothies.

Nice going and let us know how it works out!
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Stan Woolley, manjit
Whaaaat, you don't drink tea??!!!!!  Surprise Surprise Surprise

Now I am beginning to question your sanity and rationality? 

Tongue  

Joke.....I assume you're not from England, or India haha!

I've heard the almond isn't great for cereal or tea though....but regardless, I'll experiment with them all and see how it goes. At the end of the day, it's no biggie!

Cheers & take care Laird....
[-] The following 1 user Likes manjit's post:
  • Laird
The poem I recently published to my personal website, Satisfying suffering, is based in a vegan ethic.
(This post was last modified: 2019-08-07, 09:30 PM by Laird.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Laird's post:
  • Ninshub, manjit, Brian
(2019-07-27, 01:57 PM)manjit Wrote: Now, I've spent quite some time researching this but still have no clarity and this is a most important issue for me........which vegan milk tastes best with cereal & in your tea??!
If you are OK with soya, I can recommend any of Alpro's dairy substitutes.  I have their vanilla yoghurt with my breakfast cereal and I commonly use their Original soya milk, though I don't know what it is like in tea as I drink black coffee.  Alpro also do almond milk if you can't have soya.
BTW - congrats on your decision - I hope it works for you.  

On Friday, I was given the chance to cook for my wife's family in Orsa, Dalarna where we were staying. Like most swedes, they have a fairly normal diet, including meat and dairy and particularly smoked meats, cakes and ice cream but they actually thought it was exciting to try some of the food that I eat. There were no objections at all! We had a soy based vegan cottage pie that I made, together with salad followed by "Choice" vegan coconut and mango ice cream with sliced mango. Everybody said how good it was and everybody took a second helping. I was really pleased with myself.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brian's post:
  • manjit, Laird
(2019-08-08, 10:35 AM)Brian Wrote: If you are OK with soya, I can recommend any of Alpro's dairy substitutes.  I have their vanilla yoghurt with my breakfast cereal and I commonly use their Original soya milk, though I don't know what it is like in tea as I drink black coffee.  Alpro also do almond milk if you can't have soya.
BTW - congrats on your decision - I hope it works for you.  

Thanks Brian!  Smile

Very coincidentally, I have the Alpro soya vanilla & plain yogurts in my fridge. I've tried the plain with my indian cuisine...and I have to say I was surprised at how lovely it was, no difference taste wise to dairy yogurt, maybe even better! Haven't tried the vanilla yet, that's for a dessert some time Smile

For tea, I've found oat milk to be an absolutely wonderful replacement, highly recommended if anyone is considering going vegan but is worried about their teas.....after a week of drinking it, I think it tastes even nicer than milk did!

Also, it's only been 2 weeks but I've noticed that my skin appears to not be as dry as it has been my entire adult life (which was quite annoying!) & much clearer generally. It might be a coincidence and I did a little search on it to see if there is any connection, and apparently dairy does cause acne is some people, so I suppose there may be a connection. I also feel like less phlegm accumulates in my lungs (I work out high-intensity several times a week - plant protein has been sourced! - and I'm very aware of phlegm or bile (?) accumulating in the lungs or whatever).....again, this might just be a coincidence but it does feel like a real difference!.

Anyway, there has been one major regret with my finally deciding to turn vegan a few weeks ago..........why didn't I do it years ago!!  Sad

Thanks for sharing the encouragement folks, it's the effect of reading comments like yours that finally pushed me from changing from veggie to vegan!  Thumbs Up
[-] The following 3 users Like manjit's post:
  • Ninshub, Brian, Laird
(2019-08-07, 09:28 PM)Laird Wrote: The poem I recently published to my personal website, Satisfying suffering, is based in a vegan ethic.
Nice poems Laird! Thumbs Up
[-] The following 4 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • manjit, Stan Woolley, Brian, Laird
(2019-08-10, 04:56 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Nice poems Laird! Thumbs Up

Thank you kindly, Ian. :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Ninshub
(2019-08-10, 11:56 AM)manjit Wrote:  
Thanks Brian!  Smile

Very coincidentally, I have the Alpro soya vanilla & plain yogurts in my fridge. I've tried the plain with my indian cuisine...and I have to say I was surprised at how lovely it was, no difference taste wise to dairy yogurt, maybe even better! Haven't tried the vanilla yet, that's for a dessert some time Smile

For tea, I've found oat milk to be an absolutely wonderful replacement, highly recommended if anyone is considering going vegan but is worried about their teas.....after a week of drinking it, I think it tastes even nicer than milk did!

Also, it's only been 2 weeks but I've noticed that my skin appears to not be as dry as it has been my entire adult life (which was quite annoying!) & much clearer generally. It might be a coincidence and I did a little search on it to see if there is any connection, and apparently dairy does cause acne is some people, so I suppose there may be a connection. I also feel like less phlegm accumulates in my lungs (I work out high-intensity several times a week - plant protein has been sourced! - and I'm very aware of phlegm or bile (?) accumulating in the lungs or whatever).....again, this might just be a coincidence but it does feel like a real difference!.

Anyway, there has been one major regret with my finally deciding to turn vegan a few weeks ago..........why didn't I do it years ago!!  Sad

Thanks for sharing the encouragement folks, it's the effect of reading comments like yours that finally pushed me from changing from veggie to vegan!  Thumbs Up
Do try the vanilla - it's more like a creamy dessert than a yoghurt.  As for skin, I have had keloid scars since I was a teenager because of my acne and they have never reduced in "lumpiness" or redness.  Since being a vegan, the tiny ones on the top of my nose have become virtually invisible and the ones on my chest and back are no longer red and angry.  When I first saw this happening, I thought it was my imagination but it is happening. Smile Thumbs Up
[-] The following 2 users Like Brian's post:
  • manjit, Stan Woolley
Hi Manjit

I’d (kind of) like to move from veggie to vegan too, as I’m rightly coming under pressure for eating vast amounts of prawns, it’s like this:

‘Stan’ is to prawns as a whale is to krill.

It’s a bit dodgy! I am _probably_ a hypocrite as I will eat meat if there’s some meat dish in the fridge and I know it will go to waste unless I eat it. For eg Pizza or pork pies. 

Also, I tend to cook for my daughter as my wife works around dinner time, so it’s tricky as I’m not cooking for one. Also it’s a pain preparing food with one hand/arm. My daughter has zero interest in not eating meat and I reckon she may well be keeping KFC in business.

Anyway, it’s all good interesting stuff. 

PS I love egg, tomato & salad cream sandwiches. So with my will being the way it is, it’ll probably be some time before I join you. It’s a huge ask!  Big Grin
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 3 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • manjit, Ninshub, Brian
(2019-08-11, 09:31 AM)Brian Wrote: Do try the vanilla - it's more like a creamy dessert than a yoghurt. 

Oh yes, it was absolutely delicious!! Big Grin It was so nice I was tempted to get it again, but I went for the mango one yesterday......I need to try everything at least once! But yes, the soya vanilla was suprisingly creamy & delicious! Glad to hear the skin issues cleared up for you  Smile

(2019-08-11, 10:37 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I’d (kind of) like to move from veggie to vegan too

Hey Stephen, long time no chat.......how are things with you & yours Sir?  Smile

I think we discussed this a while back....there is a lot of challenges with changing ones diet to veggie, and ever more so with vegan! I think your situation makes it even more challenging for you. I think compassion for ones own self is just as important as compassion for other sentient beings? I think balance is a good word in this discussion......we need to be able to balance all the various factors in play in our individual circumstances, which include things like our own health, financial costs, logistics, as well as compassion for animals, the environment etc.

I'm really a terrible one for trying to change the behaviour of others, not really in my make-up........all I ever can bring myself to say is "try your best", and surely that is good enough!?

Anyway, asides from that, how are things with you? Reading or thinking over anything interesting? Take care! Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like manjit's post:
  • Brian, Stan Woolley

• View a Printable Version