Even After $100 Billion, Self-Driving Cars Are Going Nowhere

151 Replies, 6487 Views

(2024-06-19, 03:02 AM)Laird Wrote: Aren't you of the view that eventually, self-driving cars will be capable though? I ask because if that is the case, then I don't know why you'd expect anybody to be backing out, unless you mean pausing real-world activity until the technology is perfected.

By the way, I slightly edited my last post to clarify a badly-worded part.

In theory I think it's possible, but not via machine "learning". IMO a massive rethink on how they are designed is in order.

I've not thought too deeply about this, but my cursory suggestion is that you need to utilize both software that is suited for this domain AND possibly hardware to make the programming language used as close to "bare metal" as possible.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-06-19, 03:49 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
MadRadar hack can make self-driving cars 'hallucinate' imaginary vehicles and veer dangerously off course

Keumars Afifi-Sabet

Quote:A malicious technology can trick self-driving cars into "hallucinating" phantom vehicles and veering dangerously off-course to get out of their way, researchers have discovered.

The new hack, dubbed "MadRadar," can also hide real cars from on-vehicle radar sensors and fool a self-driving car into thinking a real car has jerked off course. The scientists reported their findings in a peer-reviewed paper, which will be presented Feb. 26 at the Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium 2024 in San Diego.

"Without knowing much about the targeted car's radar system, we can make a fake vehicle appear out of nowhere or make an actual vehicle disappear in real-world experiments," lead author Miroslav Pajic, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Duke University in North Carolina, said in a statement. "We're not building these systems to hurt anyone, we're demonstrating the existing problems with current radar systems to show that we need to fundamentally change how we design them."
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Brian
Despite the headlines, Waymo says its driverless cars are 200% safer than you

Joe Salas

Quote:Three weeks after one of Waymo's autonomous vehicles drove itself into a telephone pole for no apparent reason whatsoever (prompting 672 cars recalled), Waymo has released a statement saying its AVs are still 200 to 350% better at avoiding crashes than humans.

Quote:Last month the NHTSA launched an investigation into Waymo, focusing on 31 incidents including the robo-taxis smashing into closed gates, driving on the wrong side of the road, and being the subject of car fires.

- Bertrand Russell

• Brian
Driverless ride-hailing accident sparks concerns; high bar for intelligent systems needed: expert

by "GT Staff reporters"

Quote:Concerns about the safety of autonomous driving and the potential gradual replacement of traditional taxis by driverless ones have been raised following an accident involving a driverless ride-hailing car in central China's Hubei Province. Industry observers said the industry is still in a nascent phase and that more support needs to be rolled out to address challenges brought by the development of driverless ride-hailing vehicles.

Years of research across continents, over $100 billion spent, but the industry is in a "nascent phase"?

Surely at some point we have to consider this may just not be a workable technology as is currently being implemented?

- Bertrand Russell

General Motors indefinitely halts work on its driverless car at Cruise unit

Claire Bushey

Quote:Cruise has been under scrutiny since an October crash involving a pedestrian on the streets of San Francisco. A pedestrian was hit by another vehicle and then thrown into the path of Cruise’s autonomous robotaxi, which dragged her another 20 feet. The California Department of Motor Vehicles withdrew permission for Cruise driverless vehicles to operate on city streets. The agency said the company misrepresented details of the crash. 

A report that GM and Cruise commissioned from an outside law firm found that Cruise did not fully explain the driverless vehicle’s role in the crash, once executives became aware of it. The report said the company’s response was marked by “poor leadership, mistakes in judgment, lack of co-ordination, an ‘us versus them’ mentality with regulators”, and an overall lack of transparency and accountability, the report said. 

Ultimately,  Cruise chief executive [Kyle] Vogt resigned.

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-07-26, 09:16 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2024-07-26, 09:13 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: General Motors indefinitely halts work on its driverless car at Cruise unit

Paywalled...
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • nbtruthman, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-27, 11:07 AM)Laird Wrote:  Paywalled...

Odd, I am opening the article - not even in Private Mode - and I can read the whole thing?

- Bertrand Russell

• Laird
(2024-07-27, 06:42 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Odd, I am opening the article - not even in Private Mode - and I can read the whole thing?

My guess: you are logged in to the site. Do you have an FT account, or were you otherwise "lent" credentials by someone who does have an FT account?

To test: open in private mode and my guess is you won't be able to open it, because you won't be logged in in that mode.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-28, 05:24 AM)Laird Wrote: My guess: you are logged in to the site. Do you have an FT account, or were you otherwise "lent" credentials by someone who does have an FT account?

To test: open in private mode and my guess is you won't be able to open it, because you won't be logged in in that mode.

Oh I have no credentials, no account.

But yeah it's not working anymore...only thin[g] I can think of is a friend or family member logged in with their access at some point and it was still on or I got a free article temporarily.

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-07-28, 06:21 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 1 time in total.)
  • Laird

• View a Printable Version