Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution

1535 Replies, 153299 Views

Another example of amazing mimicry - a new leaf-tailed gecko of Madagascar - Uroplatus finaritra

From article here:

Quote:"The newly discovered species comes from low altitude areas of Marojejy National Park on Madagascar’s northeastern tip. During the day, the leaf-tailed geckos are difficult to spot. They tend to hang out in dead leaves, covering themselves with their deceptive tail and sticking their limbs out like twigs. At night, however, they come alive, actively hunting in the dense rainforest—that’s when researchers conduct their surveys."

From another article here:

Quote:"Madagascar has no shortage of endemic species. Leaf-tailed geckos, genus Uroplatus, are similarly a Madagascan original. Well over a dozen species have evolved on the island, and all are equipped with impressive camouflage. In the ultimate RPG of Life, these reptiles have maxed out their stealth skill trees, appearing indistinguishable from an old leaf when at rest. Their tails are flattened and leaf-shaped, and their skin has blotchy colors and textures, even incorporating ragged edges on skin folds for that authentic, “brittle decay” look."

Has there ever been a good Darwinian explanation for carefully detailed camouflage? What good for natural selection would looking a little bit like a leaf be?

[Image: DxceZxMX4AAMb3Z.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes nbtruthman's post:
  • stephenw
(2019-01-26, 01:24 AM)nbtruthman Wrote: Another example of amazing mimicry - a new leaf-tailed gecko of Madagascar - Uroplatus finaritra

From article here:

From another article here:

Has there ever been a good Darwinian explanation for carefully detailed camouflage? What good for natural selection would looking a little bit like a leaf be?

[Image: DxceZxMX4AAMb3Z.jpg]

Are you really asking what are the survival benefits of camouflage? If your broader question is, “Isn’t nature amazing?”, then yes, it is.
(2019-01-26, 01:45 AM)malf Wrote: Are you really asking what are the survival benefits of camouflage? If your broader question is, “Isn’t nature amazing?”, then yes, it is.

It is one thing to evolve camouflage good enough to blend into the background but quite another to mimic something so precisely that it looks like an artist meticulously painted the details. You are a fan of mechanisms, malf, so I'd like to know how you explain this ...

[Image: 4833792-leaf-mimic-katydid-camouflaged-a...amazon.jpg]
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Valmar, nbtruthman
(2019-01-26, 02:11 AM)Kamarling Wrote: It is one thing to evolve camouflage good enough to blend into the background but quite another to mimic something so precisely that it looks like an artist meticulously painted the details. You are a fan of mechanisms, malf, so I'd like to know how you explain this ...

[Image: 4833792-leaf-mimic-katydid-camouflaged-a...amazon.jpg]

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.reddi...=undefinedC
This post has been deleted.
(2019-01-26, 11:51 AM)Max_B Wrote: Just random mutation and natural selection are obviously untenable, there are clearly lots of mechanisms, and lots of ways for life to tap into them. But I see no reason to invoke a Slartibartfast designer. or other type of god thing. I’m damn sure that if you could ask leaf-bug’s millions of ancestors whether some type of external intelligence just gifted them with this appearance, they would tell you to bugger off with your intuition, as their lives had been very hard, and billions had died, or been killed on the journey.

Now that is a great example of a strawman, Max. I asked malf for a proposed mechanism, I did NOT claim a "god thing" type of designer did it. Maybe you can take a leisurely trip back through the pages of this thread an point out where I have claimed such a designer.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 2 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • nbtruthman, Valmar
(2019-01-26, 10:44 AM)malf Wrote: https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.reddi...=undefinedC

Yeah, that's about the level of imagination I might have expected: arrogant Reddit ideologists sticking to the party line.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • Valmar
(2019-01-26, 05:36 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Yeah, that's about the level of imagination I might have expected: arrogant Reddit ideologists sticking to the party line.

Admittedly, it’s no match for incredulity. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes malf's post:
  • Steve001
(2019-01-26, 06:13 PM)malf Wrote: Admittedly, it’s no match for incredulity. Wink

One man's incredulity is another man's amazing - as in "isn't nature amazing".  Wink
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Valmar, malf
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version