Banned from Skeptiko until 15 Feb

141 Replies, 9015 Views

(2019-12-28, 08:44 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: After all Lone Shaman can't defend himself here, unless he has an account I'm unaware of. Huh

He can't defend himself in any case: he is simply wrong. At best he can admit as much.

But he's perfectly welcome to create an account here. Or to respond on Skeptiko. This is all public.

You're probably right though that Skeptiko stuff shouldn't be brought over to this forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2019-12-28, 02:15 AM)Laird Wrote: Oh boy. It really doesn't (play a role or have an effect). In the absence of friction, air resistance, and a host of other miniscule effects that creative physicists have identified, an ideal pendulum would swing forever (under the influence of gravity).

Unless you mean that gravity is (I think) proportional to friction at the fulcrum point? In which case, then, yes, gravity does play a role in some sense. Or unless you are referring to one of those creative miniscule effects: loss btw, of energy due to gravity waves (which I don't pretend to understand, but saw referenced at that link)?
If you'll reread the post you'll see we are saying the same thing.  In other words what I said was the affect is so small that it is irrelevant. Btw, gravity waves only occur on planetary bodies; they are not gravitational waves which is a distortion of space. I'm pretty sure you've seen gravity waves. Gravity waves
(2019-12-28, 01:28 PM)Steve001 Wrote: If you'll reread the post you'll see we are saying the same thing.  In other words what I said was the affect is so small that it is irrelevant.

No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying there is a very small effect; I am saying there is none at all.

But I take your point that I ought to have written "gravitational" waves where I wrote "gravity" waves. I am not familiar with those areas of physics.
(2019-12-28, 01:47 PM)Laird Wrote: No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying there is a very small effect; I am saying there is none at all.
Why is there no affect? Remember in the real world there is no such thing as an "ideal pendulum".
(2019-12-28, 08:44 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I'm sure I'm being hypocritical in that I've likely done it myself (especially when i was first banned from Skeptiko) but it's probably a good idea to leave discussions/issues over there rather than using this forum as a means to complain about threads/topics/mods/etc on SF.

After all Lone Shaman can't defend himself here, unless he has an account I'm unaware of. Huh

I think it's important to keep a clear distinction between discussion of topics such as physics or technical matters and so on, and the discussion of the people.

Though I think it is ok to mention names, but it seems, to me at least, it would be distasteful to make the person the focus of the discussion (if such a thing should arise). I do make an exception for 'public figures', but ordinary forum members I don't think fall into that group.
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel, tim, Enrique Vargas
(2019-12-28, 02:13 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Why is there no affect? Remember in the real world there is no such thing as an "ideal pendulum".

Effect, Steve.
I'm going to try and get myself banned over there - see how little it takes to trigger DB. Big Grin
(2019-12-28, 03:50 PM)tim Wrote: Effect, Steve. 
It's "affect" in this case because gravity is acting upon. An the effect is the result. Look up affect vs effect.
(2019-12-28, 04:40 PM)Brian Wrote: I'm going to try and get myself banned over there - see how little it takes to trigger DB. Big Grin

I only go there to visit and re-read old threads for interest and information that Laird (mostly ?) and others very kindly preserved

I just been there now looking for Van Lommel stuff and I see that Malf is up for the chop !!   Wink
(This post was last modified: 2019-12-28, 05:43 PM by tim.)
(2019-12-28, 04:57 PM)Steve001 Wrote: It's "affect" in this case because gravity is acting upon. An the effect is the result. Look up affect vs effect.

Yes, gravity is the 'affect' and the effect is the result (falling)

• View a Printable Version