Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

Cognitive scientist's comments regarding New Atheist Dennett's book


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    No Replies

Sci, 2017-08-29, 01:04 AM

Cognitive scientist Armin W. Geertz's comments regarding Dennett's supposedly scientific claims about religion

[quote]
[i]"....A recent book by philosopher Daniel C. Dennett, called Breaking the

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

It was raining stones - for 6 years


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    3 Replies

Pollux, 2017-08-29, 12:03 AM

A case of apport that is really strange - (because of the effort made by the police force involved to find the root of this phenomenon, but to no to no avail) - is the following one:

The incident of stones bombarding a couple

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Should we scrape Anti Matters?


Feedback and announcements    3 Replies

Sci, 2017-08-28, 07:29 PM

Talking about this site:

http://anti-matters.org

I am one degree removed from Morhroff so I can pose the question to him indirectly....might even get an interview out of it.


  Open Thread

An Empirical Case Against Materialism


Philosophy of mind forum    No Replies

Sci, 2017-08-28, 07:28 PM

An Empirical Case Against Materialism


[quote]
Empirical arguments for materialism are highly circumstantial — based, as they are, upon inductions from our knowledge of the physical

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Gnosticism & Hermeticism Redux


Spirituality and magic forum: science and practice    23 Replies

Sci, 2017-08-28, 07:22 PM

So this thread is juxtaposed with the Gnosticism Thread on Skeptiko by which I mean there'll probably be some overlap but going to try and further the conversat

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

A poll on the Themes


Feedback and announcements    5 Replies

Pollux, 2017-08-28, 06:06 PM

I dont know if you've noticed but we have installed a few new themes for the forum. Some of them might need some configurations, editing, adjusting etc. to work correctly, but I thought we make a poll to see if people are even interested in any of these 7 themes, that makes it worth the effort to ad

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Dreams


General paranormal phenomena forum    No Replies

Stan Woolley, 2017-08-28, 03:19 PM

I usually have quite predictable dreams, I remember them quite well as long as I'm not too tired when getting to sleep, and under no time pressure getting up. This one was unusual and interesting:

I was with others, who I didn't recognise but know they were there. I was scribbling on a blank shee

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Would you Like to have an NDE?


Near-death experience (NDE) forum    13 Replies

Stan Woolley, 2017-08-28, 09:52 AM

Can having an NDE lead an individual to misguided thinking? 

What do you think about others who have had them?


  Open Thread

New ersby blog post: "Joe McMoneagle and the Abrams M1 tank"


Psi research forum (ESP and psychokinesis)    1 Replies

Chris, 2017-08-28, 09:43 AM

A new post about remote viewing on ersby's blog, entitled "Joe McMoneagle and the Abrams M1 tank", appeared yesterday:
http://ersby.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/joe-...-tank.html


  Open Thread

A Logically and Mathematically Consistent Argument for Psi and The Afterlife?


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    5 Replies

malf, 2017-08-28, 02:50 AM

There has been a lot of interest in The Simulation Hypothesis as a potential model of our universe, and the 'reality' that we experience. The idea has gained support from such disparate thinkers as David Chalmers and Neil Degrasse Tyson, and there appears to be some mathematics to back it up. From W

» READ MORE


  Open Thread