What are you watching?

174 Replies, 29302 Views

(2017-12-16, 02:20 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Yep - that's exactly what I did too. Thankfully, Netflix remembers your choice so you don't need to do that for every episode.

By the way and by coincidence, I'm also watching season 2 of Stranger Things. Some interesting parallels between Dark and Stranger Things but Dark is certainly darker!

I liked the first season of Stranger Things, and I thought the second season was okay. I did not like the second season as I did the first. Have you seen the OA? (Also on Netflix.)

I actually saw more parallels between the third season of Twin Peaks and DARK, particularly how characters asked, "What year is this?"

Oi, I hope I'm not spoiling!
(2017-12-16, 02:50 PM)Doppelgänger Wrote: I liked the first season of Stranger Things, and I thought the second season was okay. I did not like the second season as I did the first. Have you seen the OA? (Also on Netflix.)

I actually saw more parallels between the third season of Twin Peaks and DARK, particularly how characters asked, "What year is this?"

Oi, I hope I'm not spoiling!

Don't say more!

Yes, I did watch the OA. I'm a sucker for weird. Smile
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
(2017-12-16, 03:07 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Don't say more!

Yes, I did watch the OA. I'm a sucker for weird. Smile

I loved the OA!

But I won't say more in case I spoil either Stranger Things or Twin Peaks. Smile
(2017-12-16, 01:58 PM)Doppelgänger Wrote: I'm glad you enjoyed DARK! I will check out "Les Revenants" if I can, but I've only seen it as "The Returned"? (which I have not watched). I do hope it comes to Netflix; I, too, despise Hollywood remakes of great shows in other countries. The trailer for "Les Revenants" definitely looks interesting.
 I saw you mentioned OA. I haven't seen it, but I put it on my list. It looks interesting.
A show you also might find interesting is Sense8. They released their second season some months back, and I'm trying to catch up on that one too.

More on the same theme, from the earlier mentioned series, we have; Outlander and; Wayward Pines
I haven't seen any of these two yet, but they look to be OK.
(This post was last modified: 2017-12-16, 09:04 PM by Pollux.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pollux's post:
  • Doug
For those of you who liked the movie Primer, you might be interested in the movie Anti Matter as well.
It is not a top-notch blockbuster, but it is a pretty well crafted indie-flick, with a intriguing story, and conclusion.

..and if you haven't seen Primer, you should do it:

Another flick, on kind of the same theme as the above, is Coherence
Quite interesting story:

...and Enter Nowhere:

(2017-12-17, 09:29 PM)Pollux Wrote: For those of you who liked the movie Primer, you might be interested in the movie Anti Matter as well.
It is not a top-notch blockbuster, but it is a pretty well crafted indie-flick, with a intriguing story, and conclusion.
I loved Primer. I've watched it a few times, maybe four or five? I watched it right away for a second viewing so I could understand the first viewing. And then it was also fun to watch it with someone who hadn't seen it who then wanted to watch it again.
I will definitely check out the trailers you posted, thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doppelgänger's post:
  • Pollux
(2017-12-25, 12:53 PM)Doppelgänger Wrote: I loved Primer. I've watched it a few times, maybe four or five? I watched it right away for a second viewing so I could understand the first viewing. And then it was also fun to watch it with someone who hadn't seen it who then wanted to watch it again.
I will definitely check out the trailers you posted, thanks!

You're welcome. Yeah, I've watched it a couple of times as well. Smile 
Check out Coherence and Enter Nowhere if you get the chance too.

Here is a couple of flicks that also has interesting concepts. The first one, A Ghost Story, you might have heard of, since Casey Affleck is in it. It is a slow burner, but is quite rewarding.
Quote:A Ghost Story
In this singular exploration of legacy, love, loss, and the enormity of existence, a recently deceased, white-sheeted ghost returns to his suburban home to try to reconnect with his bereft wife.

This one has a somewhat original concept. It's an Austrian movie, called The Wall based on the book Die Wand (The Wall) by Marlen Haushofer. It is a slowburner and is really thought-provoking, plus it has really beautiful photo.
Quote:The Wall
A woman inexplicably finds herself cut off from all human contact when an invisible, unyielding wall suddenly surrounds the countryside. All life outside the wall appears to have died, possibly in a nuclear event. With a dog, a cow, and a cat as her sole companions, she struggles to survive and to come to terms with the situation. Facing fear and loneliness, she writes an account of her isolation, without knowing whether anyone will ever read it.

The third one, A Dark Song, has also an interesting concept, but is a bit more grizzlier. I really liked this one, because it doesn't look/feel, like any run-of-the-mill paranormal movie, and it slowly builds up the suspense to the point when they realize they are way in over their head.

Quote:A Dark Song
Sophia is a middle-aged English woman grieving the death of her murdered son, seven-year-old Jack. She rents a house in rural Wales and hires the occultist Joseph Solomon to perform the long rite detailed in the Abramelin, a months-long Kabbalistic grimoire used to summon one's guardian angel. Sophia's goal is to enlist the help of her angel in speaking with her dead son.

(This post was last modified: 2017-12-28, 02:26 PM by Pollux.)
(2017-12-17, 09:29 PM)Pollux Wrote: ..and if you haven't seen Primer, you should do it:
I just watched it, but I really wish I hadn't bothered.
(2017-12-28, 10:50 PM)Chris Wrote: I just watched it, but I really wish I hadn't bothered.

I should add that I didn't wish to be rude, but I did find the degree of incomprehensibility of the film very frustrating. It may be very clever, and it may be an interesting exercise to try to figure it out, but I think it's a failing when the plot of a 75-minute film looks like this:
[Image: primer-wallpaper-11.jpg]
(2017-12-28, 10:50 PM)Chris Wrote: I just watched it, but I really wish I hadn't bothered.

(2017-12-29, 11:50 AM)Chris Wrote: I should add that I didn't wish to be rude, but I did find the degree of incomprehensibility of the film very frustrating. It may be very clever, and it may be an interesting exercise to try to figure it out, but I think it's a failing when the plot of a 75-minute film looks like this:
[Image: primer-wallpaper-11.jpg]

Sorry you didn't like it, but I didn't expect everyone to like it, coz it isn't the run-of-the-mill time travel-movie. It is a indie-flick done in a somewhat documentary-mode. It gets kinda hard to follow exactly the ins and outs of the time-line paradox - especially near the end. But I liked it because it was filmed kinda "raw", and that they were so matter-of-fact about their discovery.

PS: Here are a few other time travel/paradox-movies:

ARQ 2016
Coherence 2013
Deja.Vu.2006
Edge.of.Tomorrow.2014
Enter Nowhere 2011
Frequency 2000
Ill Follow You Down 2013
Looper 2012
Midnight in Paris 2011
Minority.Report.2002
Parallels. 2015
Paycheck 2003

Prisoner X 2016
Project Almanac.2014
Safety Not Guaranteed 2012S
Source Code 2011
The Langoliers 1995
Synchronicity 2015
The Anomaly 2014
The Deaths Of Ian Stone 2007
The Jacket
The Time Travelers Wife 2009
Ticking Clock 2011
Time Machine
Time.Lapse.2014
Timeline 2003
Triangle 2009
(This post was last modified: 2017-12-30, 05:57 PM by Pollux.)

• View a Printable Version