Puzzle Corner

112 Replies, 9349 Views

(2019-12-01, 01:08 PM)Laird Wrote: Which answer in this list is the correct answer to this question?
  1. All of the below.
  2. None of the below.
  3. All of the above.
  4. One of the above.
  5. None of the above.
  6. None of the above.

I think it's
Show contentSpoiler:
Right you are.
(2019-12-01, 01:08 PM)Laird Wrote: Which answer in this list is the correct answer to this question?
  1. All of the below.
  2. None of the below.
  3. All of the above.
  4. One of the above.
  5. None of the above.
  6. None of the above.

I think it's:

Show contentSpoiler:

Linda
[-] The following 2 users Like fls's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Typoz
Right you are too.
You are a merchant who needs to be able to weigh your products in 1 pound increments, from 1 to 40 pounds. You have a balancing scale, but you don't have any weights. Weights are expensive, so you want to minimize the number you order. How many weights, of what size, do you order?
(2020-04-21, 01:05 AM)fls Wrote: You are a merchant who needs to be able to weigh your products in 1 pound increments, from 1 to 40 pounds. You have a balancing scale, but you don't have any weights. Weights are expensive, so you want to minimize the number you order. How many weights, of what size, do you order?
Show contentMy solution:
(2020-04-21, 01:05 AM)fls Wrote: You are a merchant who needs to be able to weigh your products in 1 pound increments, from 1 to 40 pounds. You have a balancing scale, but you don't have any weights. Weights are expensive, so you want to minimize the number you order. How many weights, of what size, do you order?

The merchant thinks on this a bit and says, "I can do this with 4 weights." What size weights do they order? 

Their spouse points out that with a little creativity, they can probably do it with one. 

Linda
(2020-04-21, 12:48 PM)fls Wrote: The merchant thinks on this a bit and says, "I can do this with 4 weights." What size weights do they order? 

I think, at this point, that you should be telling us... or at least me, because I can't imagine how it could be done with only 4 weights! Feel free to hide it in a spoiler though...

(2020-04-21, 12:48 PM)fls Wrote: Their spouse points out that with a little creativity, they can probably do it with one.

Ha. There's got to be a trick there that I'm missing. Go on then...
I'm not good enough in math or logic to participate, but could the merchant play with the numbers of products on one end of the scale, using only one weight on the other end, to work it out?
(2020-04-21, 12:48 PM)fls Wrote: The merchant thinks on this a bit and says, "I can do this with 4 weights." What size weights do they order? 

Their spouse points out that with a little creativity, they can probably do it with one. 

Linda

Show contentAnswer:

Edit: Actually, rereading the original question and the specific way it is worded, my answer is the only possible, reasonable answer, unless I have completely misunderstood the question....
(This post was last modified: 2020-04-21, 03:18 PM by manjit.)

• View a Printable Version