Inventor of Micrprocessor Denies Computationalism

24 Replies, 2127 Views

(2022-07-30, 02:37 PM)tim Wrote: Have you read the book, David ? If so, what is his take on NDE's ?

I can't be sure yet, because some of his ideas are to be found in appendices. He certainly mentions then in a positive way. However, he seems to take the existence of a larger reality as almost axiomatic, and focuses on connecting this to QM.
[-] The following 2 users Like David001's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, tim
(2022-07-30, 03:20 PM)nbtruthman Wrote: This notion seems to be very counterfactual due to the extensive evidence afforded by the mediumistic communication and NDE data, where in NDEs, say, the NDEer experiences direct telepathic communication with deceased loved ones, in some sort of a supernal spiritual realm of existence. And the medium experiences direct telepathic communication with the disembodied spirit. Not some sort of coded data transmission and receiving along the lines of radio or video data transmission.  

I think that regardless of his extensive credentials and brilliance, Faggin seeems to have blinders on when it comes to the boatload of paranormal data, typical of most relatively mainstream scientists.

Where have you found he is resisting paranormal phenomena? I'd say the absolute opposite. SILICON is so cheap if you have a Kindle, I'd suggest you read what he has to say - I may be paraphrasing it awkwardly.

I wrote:
Quote:His concept seems to be that mind works in Hilbert space and that has to be collapsed down to text (say) to be transmitted to another person because the no-cloning theorem prevents the copying of the entire quantum state. I think he means this quite literally.
This refers to everyday life - e.g. describing an idea at a conference or in a book - not to ESP/medium communications.
(This post was last modified: 2022-07-30, 05:44 PM by David001. Edited 2 times in total.)
[-] The following 2 users Like David001's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, stephenw
This set of essays look useful, but they are rather short:

http://www.fagginfoundation.org/insights/
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2022-08-02, 10:15 PM)David001 Wrote: This set of essays look useful, but they are rather short:

http://www.fagginfoundation.org/insights/

You're in luck, he wrote a book about his version of Idealism - Irreducible: Consciousness, Life, Computers, and Human Nature

There's also a video:

Quote:00:00 Intro

02:15 Announcing Irreducible: Consciousness, Life, Computers, and Human Nature

03:28
Core Message of Irreducible

05:23 Bernardo Kastrup on Irreducible

13:17 Introduction at ASML by Hans Busstra

18:55 Interview with Federico at ASML

21:37 When did you realize consciousness cannot be computed?

25:43 On the distinction between intelligence and consciousness

36:04
Federico's theory in relation to The Matrix

37:35
You have to start with consciousness and free will as postulates

42:42
Are emotions a product of consciousness?

43:30
What about a person who is brain-dead?

47:54 Federico on the fact that his theory is speculative but needed

49:24
On the order of consciousness, life, computers, human nature

50:57
The universe wants to know itself

52:37
Quantum theory and pre-modern intuitions

53:55 The evolution of life is cycle of meaning to symbol
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-06-16, 06:35 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 1 time in total.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • David001

Quote:Federico Faggin is an engineer and physicist who invented the world's first commercial micro processor, the Intel 4004. He is also the founder of the Federico and Elvia Faggin Foundation which is dedicated to the scientific study of consciousness.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Typoz

• View a Printable Version