Engaging in mindfulness meditation can be harmful?

15 Replies, 335 Views

Another problem I see frequently is people who have some type of mood disorder, once they learn that meditation can cause mood disorders, blame everything on meditation.

My advice to anyone who wants to try meditating: try it in small doses and increase the amount gradually, if you find it causes problems stop or try a different technique. In my experience the safest, form with the best results is this: 

https://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2020/08/prep...-with.html

more here:

https://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/p/meditation.html
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Brian, Sciborg_S_Patel
@Jim_Smith, it's not clear to me that your previous few posts in this thread adhere to our Guidelines for reproducing external content. Could you please check and confirm?
(This post was last modified: 2024-07-27, 11:09 AM by Laird. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2024-07-27, 11:08 AM)Laird Wrote: @Jim_Smith, it's not clear to me that your previous few posts in this thread adhere to our Guidelines for reproducing external content. Could you please check and confirm?

I removed one long quote. The other long quote is from my web site which is original content I created. I give myself permission to reproduce it here.
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-27, 05:22 PM)Jim_Smith Wrote: I removed one long quote. The other long quote is from my web site which is original content I created. I give myself permission to reproduce it here.

Much appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
It appears that some parts of the brain that are activated during psychosis become active during meditation. Perhaps this is the reason why some people report adverse effects:

https://www.popsci.com/health/meditation...osis-rare/

"But like any other treatment or therapy that changes our body, meditation may have side effects. Some of the brain changes we see alongside meditation mimic those that take place during psychosis. For example, there’s evidence to suggest that meditation elevates dopamine in the brain—one of the hallmark characteristics of schizophrenia, says David Zilles-Wegner, a senior physician in psychiatry at University Medical Center Gottingen in Germany".
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarcusF's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-25, 11:20 AM)sbu Wrote: People are different. For example 5-10% have no inner voice, something I take for granted. I have tried meditation several times and have never found it to have any benefit for me. Others are highly devouted to the practice. Maybe they have a more “turbulent” head.

You have to be at it regularly for some time to really notice anything worthwhile, but as you said, you might still not get any benefits.  I used to find it very restful taking 20 minutes timeout in a deeply peaceful state each day when I used to do it, but it took months of impatient wanting it to be over before I reached the point where it became beneficial to me.  We are not used to stillness.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brian's post:
  • Typoz, Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version