Banned from Skeptiko until 15 Feb

141 Replies, 8906 Views

I’m banned too now. Unsure why.  :LOL:
This post has been deleted.
(2019-12-28, 05:42 PM)tim Wrote: Yes, gravity is the 'affect' and the effect is the result (falling)
We agree.
(2019-12-28, 10:43 AM)Laird Wrote: He can't defend himself in any case: he is simply wrong. At best he can admit as much.

But he's perfectly welcome to create an account here. Or to respond on Skeptiko. This is all public.

You're probably right though that Skeptiko stuff shouldn't be brought over to this forum.

I was thinking more along a hypothetical, where this forum becomes a sort of meta-forum to complain about SF.

I admit I fell to temptation in the past, but I do think the original intent was/is wise.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Ninshub, Laird
(2019-12-28, 02:13 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Why is there no affect? Remember in the real world there is no such thing as an "ideal pendulum".

I explained that here:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/do...ost-137409

Oh, and tim is right that you should have used "effect" there. The difference is that "affect" is a verb (except where it's being used to describe an emotional state, in which case it is also a noun, as in "this patient's affect is blunted"), and "effect" is a noun (except where "effect(s)" is being used as a synonym for "cause(s)", in which case it is also a verb, as in "the factory machine effects another product").

You were using "affect" as a noun there.

Unfortunately, tim got a little confused himself, and also used "affect" as a noun!

(2019-12-28, 05:42 PM)tim Wrote: Yes, gravity is the 'affect' and the effect is the result (falling)

I think what you meant to say here, tim, is "Yes, gravity 'affects' an object, and the effect is the result (falling)".
(This post was last modified: 2019-12-28, 08:48 PM by Laird.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Typoz
(2019-12-28, 02:31 PM)Typoz Wrote: I think it's important to keep a clear distinction between discussion of topics such as physics or technical matters and so on, and the discussion of the people.

Though I think it is ok to mention names, but it seems, to me at least, it would be distasteful to make the person the focus of the discussion (if such a thing should arise). I do make an exception for 'public figures', but ordinary forum members I don't think fall into that group.

Wise words as always, Typoz. I take your point. I will refrain from further distastefulness!
  • Typoz
(2019-12-28, 08:38 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I was thinking more along a hypothetical, where this forum becomes a sort of meta-forum to complain about SF.

I admit I fell to temptation in the past, but I do think the original intent was/is wise.

Fair call. Agreed.
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2019-12-28, 06:01 PM)malf Wrote: I’m banned too now. Unsure why.  LOL

Apparently for asking awkward questions?
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Obiwan, Typoz
(2019-12-28, 08:41 PM)Laird Wrote: I explained that here:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/do...ost-137409

Oh, and tim is right that you should have used "effect" there. The difference is that "affect" is a verb (except where it's being used to describe an emotional state, in which case it is also a noun, as in "this patient's affect is blunted"), and "effect" is a noun (except where "effect(s)" is being used as a synonym for "cause(s)", in which case it is also a verb, as in "the factory machine effects another product").

You were using "affect" as a noun there.

Unfortunately, tim got a little confused himself, and also used "affect" as a noun!

I think what you meant to say here, tim, is "Yes, gravity 'affects' an object, and the effect is the result (falling)".

Yes, I thought I was saying what you said (immediately above) but I wasn't 'strictly' accurate, was I.  I've had a beer or two, Laird.
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, Laird
(2019-12-28, 08:38 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I was thinking more along a hypothetical, where this forum becomes a sort of meta-forum to complain about SF.

It doesn't matter too much of course, Sci but I'm just curious as to what you mean (bolded) If you'd rather not though, no worries !
(This post was last modified: 2019-12-28, 09:09 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version