Latest Updated Threads

 | Latest Created Threads

| External Feeds

Hello everyone


Member introductions    5 Replies

Desperado, 2018-01-08, 08:43 AM

As the thread says, hi all,

To make a long story short, I drifted here from Skeptiko back over the summer. I made an account in July (Funkysoul78) but never got round to using it because of other business getting in the way. By the time I remembered I had a profile, everything had hit the fan in

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Call for retraction of "Feeling the Future"


Skeptic vs. proponent discussion    53 Replies

Chris, 2018-01-07, 12:50 PM

Courtesy of the SPR Facebook page, here's a new post on the "Replicability Index", entitled "Why the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Should Retract ... “Feeling the Future ...” by Daryl J. Bem":
[url=https://replicationindex.wordpress.com/2018/01/05/why-the-journal-of-personality-and-s

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Awake Under Anesthesia


Consciousness science forum    2 Replies

Ninshub, 2018-01-06, 07:53 AM

Article by Joshua Rothman in the New Yorker: Awake Under Anesthesia. Start of the article:

[quote]
One day in the nineteen-eighties, a woman went to the hospital for cancer surgery. The procedure was a succ

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Consciousness as epiphenomenon


Consciousness science forum    21 Replies

fls, 2018-01-05, 06:37 PM

Paul has mentioned, more than once, a (fatal?) criticism of regarding consciousness as an epiphenomenon. I started this thread because I don't think I understand this criticism.

[quote='Paul C. Anagnostopoulos' pid='12169' dateline='1512856995']
If consciousness is an epiphenomenon, then how is

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

A friends anomalous experience


Members' general personal experiences    6 Replies

diverdown, 2018-01-05, 03:43 AM

My friend once told me a story that is just down right bizarre. Now first of all, my friend is quite the skeptic, along with being rational. He is not the type of person to make up anything and he has good attention to detail. Whenever we would talk about the big questions, or even things that I've

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Extreme feeling of G force in dreams


Members' dreams    11 Replies

diverdown, 2018-01-04, 08:40 PM

Sometimes I get this, and it happened to me last night for the first time in a while. I've never really understood what it was or how the brain could create such an experience.

It could be a car crash, or being on a lift that free falls, or falling off a high place. The dreamscape at this time is u

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

The Zoo Hypothesis


UFO/UAP forum    8 Replies

nbtruthman, 2018-01-03, 08:52 PM

Radio astronomer John A. Ball wrote a good paper on ETI some years ago (2004), entitled "Extraterrestrial Intelligence: Where is Everybody?". Some of his science is a little dated, but it is still interesting. He likes the Zoo Hypothes

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

My current perspective on Reality - an experiential report


Members' general personal experiences    23 Replies

manjit, 2018-01-03, 01:28 PM

Hello everybody,

I wish you all a very & joyous Happy New Year  Smile

On another forum, I recently posted up my current perspective on reality, based on a lifetime of exploration, research and experience etc - this is not something I do often. As I was going to post a quick "Happy New Year" here

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Ghosts or time travel? - "the Ghosts of Petit Trianon"


Ghost, poltergeist, and spirit forum    10 Replies

Ninshub, 2018-01-02, 08:24 PM

I just came upon this strange case.

From Wiki:

[quote]
The Moberly–Jourdain incident (also the Ghosts of Petit Trianon or [b]Ve

» READ MORE


  Open Thread

Loch Ness monster in Albania??


General paranormal phenomena forum    9 Replies

Pollux, 2018-01-02, 04:18 AM

Loch Ness monster in Albania??

Quote:Footage captured the moment what appears to be a huge sea creature in the Great Prespa Lake – a massive body of water shared by Albania, Greece and Macedonia.

The film was taken just a week ago, so if it isn't video tamperi

» READ MORE


  Open Thread