Psience Quest

Full Version: Death is the end
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2017-09-07, 07:39 PM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]Tim I an unhappy with life... would be nice if an afterlife existed! I would love to be on board. But I will not fall into the trap of wishful thinking.
You don't think fear of being caught in wishful thinking or fraud can potentially bias you against absorbing new information or possibilities?
(2017-09-09, 11:41 PM)Will Wrote: [ -> ]You don't think fear of being caught in wishful thinking or fraud can potentially bias you against absorbing new information or possibilities?

Yeah I think people forget how many people *don't* want there to be an afterlife.

Even proponents IMO lean toward particular possibilities over others. There is, after all, the possibility of multiple kinds of afterlives. Some seem wonderful, others dull to terrifying...though the latter seems to be more a human construct at least as far as picking the right religion in the "Belief Lottery" is concerned.
(2017-09-11, 04:16 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I think people forget how many people *don't* want there to be an afterlife.

Even proponents IMO lean toward particular possibilities over others. There is, after all, the possibility of multiple kinds of afterlives. Some seem wonderful, others dull to terrifying...though the latter seems to be more a human construct at least as far as picking the right religion in the "Belief Lottery" is concerned.

Reported (quite) often is some kind of grey/dull area. A friend of mine saw it and it was very unpleasant. Fortunately he also saw a very beautiful place. Did he take a wrong turn or was someone trying to tell him something. I think I'd prefer oblivion to that grey place and he would have done as well.
(2017-09-11, 05:01 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Reported (quite) often is some kind of grey/dull area. A friend of mine saw it and it was very unpleasant. Fortunately he also saw a very beautiful place. Did he take a wrong turn or was someone trying to tell him something. I think I'd prefer oblivion to that grey place and he would have done as well.
Jurgen Ziewe and others have described a gray place and views it as one of the many layers or domains that comprise the dimensions between the 3D and the various higher domains of the afterlife.

Jurgen says the grey zone is actually a jumping off point to get to many of the other levels. Jurgen describes as generally a place one transits, not inhabits.

OTOH- there are reported crappy places that are dark and dank and not pleasant at all. Of course no one would "want" to be there, but some end up there and eventually move on from it. See the movie Astral City or read the book it was based on "Our Home", if you want to see an example.
(2017-09-11, 05:28 PM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]Jurgen Ziewe and others have described a gray place as view it as one of the many layers or domains that comprise the dimensions, between the 3D and the various higher domains of the afterlife.

Jurgen says the grey zone is actually a jumping off point to get to many of the other levels. Jurgen describes as a place one transits, not inhabits.

OTOH- there are reported crappy places that are dark and dank and not pleasant at all. Of course no one would "want" to be there, but some end up there and eventually move on from it. See the movie Astral City or read the book it was based on "Our Home", if you want to see an example.

That's interesting, Jkmac. I have no reason to doubt Jurgen's out of body experiences but personally the only ones that interest me are those that occur during cardiac arrest when the brain is off line.
(2017-09-11, 06:01 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]That's interesting, Jkmac. I have no reason to doubt Jurgen's out of body experiences but personally the only ones that interest me are those that occur during cardiac arrest when the brain is off line.

It's funny, because the only one that you are interested in, is the same that others will never believe, because they claim you can't ascertain when and if the brain is offline... Not trying to poke fun. Just pointing out the difficulty in "proving" any of this stuff to the general public.
(2017-09-11, 06:11 PM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]It's funny, because the only one that you are interested in, is the same that others will never believe, because they claim you can't ascertain when and if the brain is offline... Not trying to poke fun. Just pointing out the difficulty in "proving" any of this stuff to the general public.

No worries, jkmac. Yes, they do claim that. But of course they have to. Otherwise they would have to abandon their dogma.

There are many, many cases where it is quite obvious at what point ( in the cardiac arrest) the observations occurred. They get round this in the way that Blackmore does, by just saying that it couldn't have... and completely misquoting cases such as the dentures man by listening to mischievous pseudo sceptics who were not there and have an ideological agenda.
(2017-09-11, 07:52 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]No worries, jkmac. Yes, they do claim that. But of course they have to. Otherwise they would have to abandon their dogma.

There are many, many cases where it is quite obvious at what point ( in the cardiac arrest) the observations occurred. They get round this in the way that Blackmore does, by just saying that it couldn't have... and completely misquoting cases such as the dentures man by listening to mischievous pseudo sceptics who were not there and have an ideological agenda.
Agree on all counts.
(2017-09-04, 03:12 AM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]I just created this thread because I wanted to ask proponents a question that we can debate. What would you do if death is the end and there is no afterlife? By this statement I mean no survival of consciousness after death. You cease to exist.

I am not interested in discussing evidence pro or con in this thread. I just wanted to know would you change your outlook about life? Would your beliefs change?

If you knew absolutely that death was final, would that impact your everyday life? Would anything change?

I used to assume that death would be the end. I suppose I didn't feel as contented as I do now, but the idea didn't send me berserk. Equally, I can't be certain that consciousness continues even now, but I suppose now I am very curious about what death will be like.

David
Death is the end, hmmmm?

Well... this would seem to be a definite contradiction, alongside Eben Alexander's experience:

https://www.near-death.com/science/evide...-dead.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11