Psience Quest

Full Version: Death is the end
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
There is no ultimate real meaning, it is all subjective... all made up. Makes no difference if an afterlife exists or not. People find meaning and purpose in their own heads... How can you prove that legitimate purposiveness exists?

Can you tell me what is positive about an afterlife scenario? What if some people do not want an afterlife? How can someone with alzheimer's disease have an afterlife? Would their memory essentially be destroyed? How would they remember what they did on earth?

There are too many questions and philosophical problems with the afterlife scenario.
(2017-09-06, 04:18 AM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]There is no ultimate real meaning, it is all subjective... all made up. Makes no difference if an afterlife exists or not. People find meaning and purpose in their own heads... How can you prove that legitimate purposiveness exists?

Can you tell me what is positive about an afterlife scenario? What if some people do not want an afterlife? How can someone with alzheimer's disease have an afterlife? Would their memory essentially be destroyed? How would they remember what they did on earth?

There are too many questions and philosophical problems with the afterlife scenario.
You can't prove that life has a larger purpose, but entertaining the possibility isn't invalid as a thought experiment. Philosophical theorizing and contemplation of that nature can sometimes prove to have grounding in fact, once technology reaches a point that it can be tested. You and I can't conceive of what technology could possibly resolve the question of life after death, but I doubt Democritus conceived of anything like electron microscopes or atomic bombs.

Some people don't want total annihilation upon death. You're not going to please everyone. And annihilation invites its own philosophical problems, whether you want to engage with them or not; I note you haven't made any response to the issues raised on those grounds so far in this thread.

(2017-09-05, 12:46 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]How many of your ancestors are not remembered because of the life they lived? If you yourself do not make a major contribution to history you will like millions of other humans alive and dead will pass from memory eventually to be forgotten. My niece traced our ancestry back to the late 1300's, there are no records going back further. Until she did that no one knew they lived and no one will ever know the names of our ancestors before that. Why would anyone think there's existential meaning?
I'm not sure at what point I said anything regarding whether or not those living in the distant future remember who I am.

Why would anyone think there might be meaning to life? I'll borrow a quote from Trey Parker:

Quote:Basically… out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous—the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah… there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause… just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.

Random chance and basic physics doesn't satisfy some people. I can't say for sure whether there is existential meaning to existence, but I'm not about to definitively rule it out when I don't have the means to find out.
(2017-09-06, 04:43 AM)Will Wrote: [ -> ]You can't prove that life has a larger purpose, but entertaining the possibility isn't invalid as a thought experiment. Philosophical theorizing and contemplation of that nature can sometimes prove to have grounding in fact, once technology reaches a point that it can be tested. You and I can't conceive of what technology could possibly resolve the question of life after death, but I doubt Democritus conceived of anything like electron microscopes or atomic bombs.

Some people don't want total annihilation upon death. You're not going to please everyone. And annihilation invites its own philosophical problems, whether you want to engage with them or not; I note you haven't made any response to the issues raised on those grounds so far in this thread.

I'm not sure at what point I said anything regarding whether or not those living in the distant future remember who I am.

Why would anyone think there might be meaning to life? I'll borrow a quote from Trey Parker:

Random chance and basic physics doesn't satisfy some people. I can't say for sure whether there is existential meaning to existence, but I'm not about to definitively rule it out when I don't have the means to find out.
snip- How can someone with Alzheimer's disease have an afterlife? Would their memory essentially be destroyed? How would they remember what they did on earth?

Will and others- These people remember everything from their life. It has been demonstrated many times and in many ways: most notably and obviously in cases of Terminal (AKA End of Life) Lucidity. Memories are not lost, ever, they are just rendered inaccessible, or inexpressible, for some periods, by a damaged physical brain or bodily system.

http://skeptiko.com/278michael-nahm-terminal-lucidity/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stafford-b...63492.html

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ber...-lucidity/
I suspect that after I croak, I'm going to 'wake up' on a comfy recliner sometime and somewhere in the 23rd century and some bit of tech is going to float over to me and ask whether I enjoyed my 'holiday' in which I will say, "WTF was thaaaaat  all about??!! I demand my quatloos be refunded!! Tongue
(2017-09-06, 04:18 AM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]There is no ultimate real meaning, it is all subjective... all made up. Makes no difference if an afterlife exists or not. People find meaning and purpose in their own heads... How can you prove that legitimate purposiveness exists?

Okay... here goes:

Quote:There is no ultimate real meaning, it is all subjective... all made up. Makes no difference if an afterlife exists or not. People find meaning and purpose in their own heads... How can you prove that legitimate purposiveness exists?

Again, and I addressed this in this other post: this is entirely and purely your opinion, a straight up assertion that is not supported by any statements or otherwise. Why does it make no difference if an afterlife exists or not? You saying "people find meaning and purpose in their own heads" is, yet again, you assuming the conclusion - it assumes a priori that reductiveness is an accurate representation of the universe and the life therein, and that there can be no other source of meaning or purpose other than from within "their own heads". I never said that I could prove that legitimate purposiveness exists; what I said was that there is no possible way for any form of meaning or purposiveness to be rooted in anything real in the scenario you provided in the OP. 

Quote:Can you tell me what is positive about an afterlife scenario? What if some people do not want an afterlife? How can someone with alzheimer's disease have an afterlife? Would their memory essentially be destroyed? How would they remember what they did on earth?

What do you mean by positive? That life is not ultimately meaningless, and that there is more to it than this sorry cosmic accident that is the reality of your presented scenario? This thread is loaded with people elaborating clearly with why they think an afterlife in one form or another is more positive or palpable than your alternative. What do you think is not positive about an afterlife scenario? People have provided you with adequate suggestions of what is not positive about yours. 

Whether some people don't want an afterlife has little bearing on pursuit of the reality of any potential "afterlife" evidence. My guess is that most people prefer an afterlife in some form or another to a lack thereof entirely; I guess I'm not sure exactly what point you're attempting to make with that comment.

The last three sentences in the above quote are the most revealing in terms of helping me understand where you're coming from of all the posts I've seen you make on this site. They really and truly reflect that you have trouble extricating yourself in any meaningful way, even for the purpose of a hypothetical discussion such as this one, from your narrow-minded view of things. You are incredulous as to how someone who has Alzheimer's could have an afterlife, likely because you don't even understand what many of the people here mean when they say afterlife (important note: afterlife doesn't just mean this wonderfully perfect heaven that is an eternal continuation of your personality and ego as purported in some religions - there are loads of other ways to interpret and look at things based on the evidence, depending on how much weight you give to what). You have a legitimately fundamental misunderstanding of what the entire idea of an afterlife is, if that's the question you're asking. People can believe an afterlife only after they've accepted that in some way, shape, or form (and we do not know how this might be, though there are obviously various ideas or theories), consciousness, memory, and/or awareness are not reducible to the physical brain, that something about consciousness exists independently of the physical brain in some way. It is precisely for that reason that anyone remotely familiar with research into "afterlife" evidence (I do not like that term to describe the evidence - it's loaded) would not consider that question to be sensical in any fashion. You asking it is very telling. 

One major idea is obviously that memory exists independent of the physical; that would be how memory isn't destroyed in an afterlife. Additionally, this would only impact a "personal" afterlife, wherein you retain your memories and ego in the afterlife. As I said, there are other conceptions of the afterlife; and, this isn't even coherent to begin with if you're even discussing an afterlife, as explained above. The "how would they remember what they did on earth" falls under the same category - applies to a particular view of an afterlife, not all conceptions, and reflects a really narrow and limited view of the range of possible interpretations. Those aren't remotely legitimate challenges to an afterlife.

Quote:There are too many questions and philosophical problems with the afterlife scenario.

No, there aren't. Because you're unable to get beyond your own incredibly limited view of what could be, and complete commitment to a belief in reductionism, you're having trouble even discussing introductory concepts to an afterlife, let alone anything beyond that. Your a priori commitment is causing that issue. "Too many questions and philosophical problems" is not anything resembling a legitimate challenge, especially when you haven't laid out a single philosophical problem with it anywhere in this thread or elsewhere. You've avoided direct discussion of evidence and have made statements without supporting them with anything whatsoever. This quote establishes nothing... and, by the way, there are a plethora of questions with the scenario that you presented, too. But me saying "there are too many questions" isn't a legitimate challenge to that scenario. Philosophical issues is a different story, but again, you haven't presented any issues whatsoever of that sort.
(2017-09-07, 02:53 AM)Dante Wrote: [ -> ]Okay... here goes:

Again, and I addressed this in this other post: this is entirely and purely your opinion, a straight up assertion that is not supported by any statements or otherwise. Why does it make no difference if an afterlife exists or not? You saying "people find meaning and purpose in their own heads" is, yet again, you assuming the conclusion - it assumes a priori that reductiveness is an accurate representation of the universe and the life therein, and that there can be no other source of meaning or purpose other than from within "their own heads". I never said that I could prove that legitimate purposiveness exists; what I said was that there is no possible way for any form of meaning or purposiveness to be rooted in anything real in the scenario you provided in the OP. 

What do you mean by positive? That life is not ultimately meaningless, and that there is more to it than this sorry cosmic accident that is the reality of your presented scenario? This thread is loaded with people elaborating clearly with why they think an afterlife in one form or another is more positive or palpable than your alternative. What do you think is not positive about an afterlife scenario? People have provided you with adequate suggestions of what is not positive about yours. 

Whether some people don't want an afterlife has little bearing on pursuit of the reality of any potential "afterlife" evidence. My guess is that most people prefer an afterlife in some form or another to a lack thereof entirely; I guess I'm not sure exactly what point you're attempting to make with that comment.

The last three sentences in the above quote are the most revealing in terms of helping me understand where you're coming from of all the posts I've seen you make on this site. They really and truly reflect that you have trouble extricating yourself in any meaningful way, even for the purpose of a hypothetical discussion such as this one, from your narrow-minded view of things. You are incredulous as to how someone who has Alzheimer's could have an afterlife, likely because you don't even understand what many of the people here mean when they say afterlife (important note: afterlife doesn't just mean this wonderfully perfect heaven that is an eternal continuation of your personality and ego as purported in some religions - there are loads of other ways to interpret and look at things based on the evidence, depending on how much weight you give to what). You have a legitimately fundamental misunderstanding of what the entire idea of an afterlife is, if that's the question you're asking. People can believe an afterlife only after they've accepted that in some way, shape, or form (and we do not know how this might be, though there are obviously various ideas or theories), consciousness, memory, and/or awareness are not reducible to the physical brain, that something about consciousness exists independently of the physical brain in some way. It is precisely for that reason that anyone remotely familiar with research into "afterlife" evidence (I do not like that term to describe the evidence - it's loaded) would not consider that question to be sensical in any fashion. You asking it is very telling. 

One major idea is obviously that memory exists independent of the physical; that would be how memory isn't destroyed in an afterlife. Additionally, this would only impact a "personal" afterlife, wherein you retain your memories and ego in the afterlife. As I said, there are other conceptions of the afterlife; and, this isn't even coherent to begin with if you're even discussing an afterlife, as explained above. The "how would they remember what they did on earth" falls under the same category - applies to a particular view of an afterlife, not all conceptions, and reflects a really narrow and limited view of the range of possible interpretations. Those aren't remotely legitimate challenges to an afterlife.

No, there aren't. Because you're unable to get beyond your own incredibly limited view of what could be, and complete commitment to a belief in reductionism, you're having trouble even discussing introductory concepts to an afterlife, let alone anything beyond that. Your a priori commitment is causing that issue. "Too many questions and philosophical problems" is not anything resembling a legitimate challenge, especially when you haven't laid out a single philosophical problem with it anywhere in this thread or elsewhere. You've avoided direct discussion of evidence and have made statements without supporting them with anything whatsoever. This quote establishes nothing... and, by the way, there are a plethora of questions with the scenario that you presented, too. But me saying "there are too many questions" isn't a legitimate challenge to that scenario. Philosophical issues is a different story, but again, you haven't presented any issues whatsoever of that sort.

Dante, I started this thread to ask proponents a simple question, not really the other way round. I am not really interested in philosophical mumbo jumbo myself or answering questions about an afterlife, I do not believe in an afterlife, my position is non-belief so I choose to ask proponents the questions. The burden of proof is on you guys to provide the evidence for your beliefs not the other way round.

It is clear from mainstream science that there is no afterlife. Microbes, bacteria, insects dying in nature every second every minute, nobody seems to care about those. It is human bias from religion, a perverted anthropomorphic world-view to why certain humans believe in an afterlife. Proponents of this afterlife hypothesis fear death and erroneously believe they are 'important' or above nature and somehow and deserve a magical afterlife. I do not choose to discuss the pro and cons of 'afterlife' research, would be a futile task. I was more interested in how proponents would change if they came to realise there was no afterlife.

Tim for example stated " I don't see how humans could or would be able to complete their lives satisfactorily" if they know beyond doubt death is the end. I am trying to figure out why you guys believe this? Proponents seem to strongly bank on an afterlife existing. Their belief in it seems to shape what they do in the now. That is something I do not understand.

I cannot demonstrate this statement with evidence so this one is a speculation from me, but I believe one other possible reason people believe in an afterlife is because they have not achieved much in their life. In conclusion I bottle it down to several types of people who believe in an afterlife:

1. Those brainwashed by religion or anthropomorphic belief systems
2. Those who are unhappy, ill or have not achieved much with their lives
3. Elderly people who fear death

Do you agree with any of this?
(2017-09-07, 05:44 PM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]Dante, I started this thread to ask proponents a simple question, not really the other way round. I am not really interested in philosophical mumbo jumbo myself or answering questions about an afterlife, I do not believe in an afterlife, my position is non-belief so I choose to ask proponents the questions. The burden of proof is on you guys to provide the evidence for your beliefs not the other way round.

It is clear from mainstream science that there is no afterlife. Microbes, bacteria, insects dying in nature every second every minute, nobody seems to care about those. It is human bias from religion, a perverted anthropomorphic world-view to why certain humans believe in an afterlife. Proponents of this afterlife hypothesis fear death and erroneously believe they are 'important' or above nature and somehow and deserve a magical afterlife. I do not choose to discuss the pro and cons of 'afterlife' research, would be a futile task. I was more interested in how proponents would change if they came to realise there was no afterlife.

Tim for example stated " I don't see how humans could or would be able to complete their lives satisfactorily" if they know beyond doubt death is the end. I am trying to figure out why you guys believe this? Proponents seem to strongly bank on an afterlife existing. Their belief in it seems to shape what they do in the now. That is something I do not understand.

I cannot demonstrate this statement with evidence so this one is a speculation from me, but I believe one other possible reason people believe in an afterlife is because they have not achieved much in their life. In conclusion I bottle it down to several types of people who believe in an afterlife:

Which one do I come under ?  LOL
Since belief is mentioned.

I don't belief in an afterlife any more than I believe in water.
(2017-09-07, 05:44 PM)Leuders Wrote: [ -> ]Dante, I started this thread to ask proponents a simple question, not really the other way round. I am not really interested in philosophical mumbo jumbo myself or answering questions about an afterlife, I do not believe in an afterlife, my position is non-belief so I choose to ask proponents the questions. The burden of proof is on you guys to provide the evidence for your beliefs not the other way round.

Leuders said "Tim for example stated " I don't see how humans could or would be able to complete their lives satisfactorily" if they know beyond doubt death is the end. I am trying to figure out why you guys believe this? Proponents seem to strongly bank on an afterlife existing. Their belief in it seems to shape what they do in the now. That is something I do not understand.

Have you ever spoken to anyone who has died ie been brought back from cardiac arrest after many minutes, Leuders ?
I have many times. Have you studied the literature, not just NDE's but reincarnation, death bed visions, mediumship
of all kinds, crisis apparitions ?  

Human beings who believe death is the end, tend to grow stiff (no pun intended) and fearful as they get to what they "know" is the end of them.  It's just a well known observable fact, it doesn't mean that is the reason why you should believe in an afterlife though.
Personally, I believe it for three reasons. My own memories (which I don't want to go into). Evidence from the literature and the evidence of my own eyes. The large scale rejection of the idea of an afterlife became popular with the critical scientific  rationalism of the 20th century but before that things were rather different.

My Grandma, for instance believed wholeheartedly in it (life after death) and so did the majority of the people who lived in her street (a poverty stricken terrace). Why ? They knew it was true, just a fact of life....or death, more accurately.

My uncle (believe it or not) was killed in the first world war (yes the first) and he "appeared" at the foot of my Grandma's next door neighbour's bed... and asked her to tell my Grandma (his mother) that he had died, which she did the next day. The telegram confirming his death arrived about a week later. What's more this was a very common occurrence during that period (as there were more than 1000,000 deaths) and no one thought there was anything special about it.

It doesn't take too many reports like that before one realises that critical rationalism is wrong.
Quote:Human beings who believe death is the end, tend to grow stiff (no pun intended)

LOL  Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11