Psience Quest

Full Version: Death is the end
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sorry to use some "necromancy", but here is my take:

I'm already scared shitless by death, and I often wonder why do we even exist at all if all life leads to death. It fills my with existential dread and sometimes I have to stop or I get the feeling I'm going insane.

would probably spend an absurd amount of money in wild parties with drugs, sex etc... since existence would have no meaning and having a long or short life would make no difference
(2019-06-26, 02:29 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm already scared shitless by death,

Understandable, most of us are, Raf but it's actually illogical because if consciousness continues you'll never experience an end...and if it doesn't continue, you will simply black out at some moment which you will most probably not be aware of.

Many people who've had near death experiences, look forward to it. Why would that be.
There was a time when I was contemplating suicide (well more than once). I longed for oblivion. But what a disaster it would be if we were forced to survive!
(2019-06-26, 02:48 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Understandable, most of us are, Raf but it's actually illogical because if consciousness continues you'll never experience an end...and if it doesn't continue, you will simply black out at some moment which you will most probably not be aware of.

Many people who've had near death experiences, look forward to it. Why would that be.

Yeah I know it's illogical, yet it is there. Been to psychologists, but they can't really help you when you think "why the heck do we exists if the ultimate point of life, is death?". I've found out that a well placed (doctor prescribed) benzodiazepine helps much more than hours over hours of endless talk about my infancy.
(2019-06-26, 03:00 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]There was a time when I was contemplating suicide (well more than once). I longed for oblivion. But what a disaster it would be if we were forced to survive!

Yes, I've definitely had times when I've longed for oblivion, Typoz. Getting through it (with great difficulty) led me to some things I wouldn't have wanted to miss that I could never, ever have foreseen coming.
(2019-06-26, 03:12 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I know it's illogical, yet it is there. Been to psychologists, but they can't really help you when you think "why the heck do we exists if the ultimate point of life, is death?". I've found out that a well placed (doctor prescribed) benzodiazepine helps much more than hours over hours of endless talk about my infancy.

It's good to be a true sceptic, to be wary of being duped but it's also good to be wary of just rejecting everything because it seems smarter and more sophisticated to do so. I don't believe the universe came into existence for no reason but if it did, then life is just a pointless exercise of 'turkeys' waiting for Christmas.

What we need is some anomalous occurrences. If only people just occasionally reported leaving their bodies behind when they were as good as dead and seeing things they couldn't possibly have seen during that period. That really would be something, wouldn't it ? …but of course, that never happens …..Oh, wait a minute Wink
(2019-06-26, 03:34 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]It's good to be a true sceptic, to be wary of being duped but it's also good to be wary of just rejecting everything because it seems smarter and more sophisticated to do so. I don't believe the universe came into existence for no reason but if it did, then life is just a pointless exercise of 'turkeys' waiting for Christmas.

What we need is some anomalous occurrences. If only people just occasionally reported leaving their bodies behind when they were as good as dead and seeing things they couldn't possibly have seen during that period. That really would be something, wouldn't it ? …but of course, that never happens …..Oh, wait a minute Wink

Yep, and I have found much relief in looking at the body of evidence of NDEs, it is much stronger than any phenomena I've ever studied before. I've looked at mediumship, PK, ESP of various kinds, but it was always very weak or debunked. The case with NDEs, if you ask me, is on a totally different level.
(2019-06-26, 03:44 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]The case with NDEs, if you ask me, is on a totally different level.

I tend to agree with you there, Raf. Mediumship has it's share of frauds but I do believe there have been and still are plenty of genuine mediums, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in.
(2019-06-26, 04:44 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to agree with you there, Raf. Mediumship has it's share of frauds but I do believe there have been and still are plenty of genuine mediums, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in.

This trilogy by Chris Carter tackles mediumship, NDE's and other psychic phenomena. It's really great: 

https://www.amazon.es/Science-Psychic-Ph...=8-1-spell

https://www.amazon.es/Science-Near-Death...way&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.es/Science-Afterlife-...N31M1NM9N1
(2019-06-26, 03:15 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I've definitely had times when I've longed for oblivion, Typoz. Getting through it (with great difficulty) led me to some things I wouldn't have wanted to miss that I could never, ever have foreseen coming.

Yes, taking a longer term view, I had some rough times, then some kind of so-so not very interesting ones. But after that, lots of surprisingly good things, I would not have believed possible.

It's hard to explain this stuff to anyone who is going through a tough time. I don't think I'd even have listened to my future self. But somehow even though I would not have agreed at the time, those difficulties were over in the blink of an eye, viewed from a longer perspective.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11