Vegetarianism and veganism

117 Replies, 14114 Views

Brian, maybe you missed that the meat diet posts were removed to another thread, to accommodate you, as I informed you in a PM. But as you wish.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Valmar, Doug
(2018-07-10, 11:53 PM)Laird Wrote: Great choice, Brian! And thank you for starting this thread and sharing the vids. Have been meaning to offer a response on the Christian vids for a while now, so, briefly:

There were a bunch of interesting points in there, some of which I hadn't already been aware, e.g., that James, the brother of Christ, was brought up as a vegetarian/vegan, so that it is likely that Jesus was too, and that many (most? all?) members of the early Church, too, were vegetarian/vegan, especially as evidenced by Augustine's opposition to vegetarian/vegan Christianity.

There were also some claims/arguments that seemed to me to be a bit more questionable, but hey, the intent is good.

Re protein combining - yes, that's my understanding too; that it's a myth and is not required.

Re blood tests - likewise, I've never had any problematic results since going vegan, other than a slight deficiency in vitamin D, which is easily explained by my living in a wet, rainy climate and spending most of my time indoors, and which was easily corrected with supplements.

Let us know how you go with your new diet!

Well we know Jesus and his disciples (mythical or literal) ate a lot of fish... fish is meat, right? Jesus even created fish and bread out of thin air to feed a few thousand people once. 

Most of the Christians I knew who got into veganism used Daniel and his compadres as their example.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hurmanetar's post:
  • Brian
(2018-09-03, 11:07 PM)Hurmanetar Wrote: Most of the Christians I knew who got into veganism used Daniel and his compadres as their example.

For those not familiar: https://biblehub.com/niv/daniel/1.htm

[b]11[/b]Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, [b]12[/b]“Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. [b]13[/b]Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” [b]14[/b]So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

[b]15[/b]At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. [b]16[/b]So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brian's post:
  • Hurmanetar
Plant source of B12, Omega 3 and protein comparable to whey.

• Laird
Hello - I posted the below comment elsewhere, thought I would copy & paste as a follow up to my posts last year!:

There are many common misconceptions regarding veganism, many mentioned in the comments above, things such as unnatural, unhealthy, weakness, protein, calcium deficiencies etc are frequently mentioned. I myself also believed in a few of these myself, but thought the sacrifice for animal welfare was worth it.

I’m almost 42 years old, and turned lacto-vegetarian just before my 13th birthday. My decision to turn veggie was purely animal-welfare based, and health was never a consideration in making that choice. Nevertheless, I have been regularly going to the gym and working out for more than 25 years, taking care of my diet, ensuring I get good nutrition, supplements etc. Around 6 months ago, again purely due to animal welfare concerns, I decided to try to go vegan. I thought this may be difficult, that my health, strength and energy levels would, perhaps, be slightly depleted. But this was a sacrifice I thought worthy, but I was open to re-evaluating should my health deteriorate too much.

The first completely unexpected thing that happened after quitting dairy products was within a week a dry skin condition (mild but annoying) that I’d had all my adult life disappeared almost entirely. It has since returned, but I would say at approx. 20% of how bad it was before.

The second, completely unexpected thing, was the significant, measurable improvement in my recovery times from hard workouts in the gym, energy levels……6 months in, I am absolutely confident I have never felt so well in my entire life. Heavy weight workouts leave me feeling as if I haven’t even worked out immediately after & the next day……absolutely amazing. A discernible improvement, and I was already quite healthy before (was probably the fittest in our work football teams, as told by others, and there were several very fit and young guys there half my age).

I had absolutely no idea these benefits were associated with a vegan diet, so was a bit surprised by it. I mentioned casually to a meat-eating friend I feel so well nowadays and that recovery from workouts was almost unbelievable, and I think it may be due to cutting dairy from my diet. He replied with “oh yeah, dairy causes inflammation”. He then told me to watch a documentary called The Game Changers. I watched it last night and was blown away, and my experience with fitness improvements over the last few months now make so, so much more sense to me.

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSpglxHTJVM

There is a reason why so many of the absolute best athletes in the world are eating a vegan diet! Messi, Djokovic, Serena Williams, Lewis Hamilton, UFC fighters, weight lifters etc etc. Seriously. The myth of needing meat and dairy products to build and maintain muscle, energy levels (as evidenced by some of the comments in this thread) are profoundly misleading and based on marketing by the meat and dairy industries.

I came for the animal welfare, but will be staying for the incredible benefits for health and fitness. I have literally never taken any supplement or diet change in my entire life that has resulted in such a clear & tangible improvement in physical wellbeing.

Try it, you absolutely will not regret it (probably). My only regret with my decision to turn vegan last year was that I hadn’t done it years earlier.

Peace.
(This post was last modified: 2020-01-23, 05:56 PM by manjit.)
[-] The following 3 users Like manjit's post:
  • North, Laird, Brian
Courtesy of the Daily Grail - here's an article from the BBC by Zaria Gorvett, entitled "How a vegan diet could affect your intelligence":
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200...telligence
(2020-01-29, 10:52 AM)Chris Wrote: Courtesy of the Daily Grail - here's an article from the BBC by Zaria Gorvett, entitled "How a vegan diet could affect your intelligence":
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200...telligence

And again courtesy of the Daily Grail, here's a point-by-point rebuttal by Clinton Stamatovich, who says "Nearly every claim is either totally untrue or misleading." Based on general experience of the state of BBC journalism these days, that wouldn't be very surprising.
https://medium.com/@clstamat/bad-intel-i...c3e48cfa97
[-] The following 3 users Like Guest's post:
  • Obiwan, Brian, Laird
To date, all the major health science organizations take the position that a planned vegan diet is nutritionally adequate for all stages of life so I don't panic about an unsubstantiated claim in some non-scientific article.

For example, the British Dietetic Association https://www.bda.uk.com/resource/british-...-ages.html

The American Dietetic Association  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."
(This post was last modified: 2020-02-03, 02:25 PM by Brian.)
  • Laird
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200...gan-hatred

"In the case of eating meat, Rothgerber suggests we have a number of strategies – around 15 – which allow us to avoid facing up to the meat paradox. These include pretending that meat has no link to animals, imagining that we eat less of it than we really do, wilful ignorance about how it’s produced – helped by the cartoons of happy farm animals that we’re exposed to from childhood – and only eating meat from animals which are “humanely” farmed. 

Unfortunately, most of these are derailed by the presence of vegans."

"By their mere existence, vegans force people to confront their cognitive dissonance. And this makes people angry."
  • Laird
Every Argument Against Veganism | Ed Winters | TEDxBathUniversity

• View a Printable Version