Forum Rules and Guidelines Discussion

136 Replies, 13133 Views

(2022-01-24, 04:14 PM)David001 Wrote: I think I'd get the picture more clearly if you gave a few examples.

I'm not concerned now whether you get the picture or not, David. This forum isn't about you and what you think is good for it necessarily, although you are entitled to your opinion, of course. I like you as a poster, I just don't like you as an administrator.
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-24, 04:58 PM by tim. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2022-01-24, 04:14 PM)David001 Wrote: I think I'd get the picture more clearly if you gave a few examples.

I sent you several  notes that the forum was being destroyed by your and jim's proselytizing the trump fox news train. Subsequently the form has become a nasty bitter right wing rag - too bad! So here you are again. I can understand peoples trepidation although I generally value your input regarding science and parapsychology.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry's post:
  • Kamarling
(2022-01-24, 04:57 PM)tim Wrote: I'm not concerned now whether you get the picture or not, David. This forum isn't about you and what you think is good for it necessarily, although you are entitled to your opinion, of course. I like you as a poster, I just don't like you as an administrator.

Good, because I am not going to be an administrator, even if someone begs me to do the job!

David
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-24, 10:31 PM by David001. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2022-01-24, 06:24 PM)Larry Wrote: I sent you several  notes that the forum was being destroyed by your and jim's proselytizing the trump fox news train. Subsequently the form has become a nasty bitter right wing rag - too bad! So here you are again. I can understand peoples trepidation although I generally value your input regarding science and parapsychology.

Well, first of all, it was and is up to Alex to decide if certain topics are off-limits on Skeptiko. We didn't always see eye to eye, and Alex was sometimes pretty hard to get hold of.

As a moderator, I was free to also post on the forum as a user - which I did. The moderators do the same here.

After my Skeptiko experience I tend to think it is better to keep certain subjects away from PSI forums - politics, climate change, 'intergenerational sex' (yes someone on Skeptiko wanted to discuss that), etc.

I'd really like to let the matter drop now - or move the discussion to a PM.
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Larry
I'm glad you are here, David. I have no hard feelings from Skeptiko even though a really unique and at times beautiful thing was basically destroyed by poor moderation. Not only speaking of you. Paquette was also atrocious. 

I'm glad for everyone who posts here. Much love to all.
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • David001, Kamarling, Ninshub
(2022-01-25, 03:40 AM)chuck Wrote: I'm glad you are here, David. I have no hard feelings from Skeptiko even though a really unique and at times beautiful thing was basically destroyed by poor moderation. Not only speaking of you. Paquette was also atrocious. 

I'm glad for everyone who posts here. Much love to all.

To be fair I think both mods were simply following Alex's guidelines.

I say this without rancor, I wish Alex well and he is/was on his own journey. I think there was a brief period where we were both in the same area in CA, I actually wouldn't have minded grabbing a drink with him.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • David001, woethekitty
(2022-01-24, 06:24 PM)Larry Wrote: I sent you several  notes that the forum was being destroyed by your and jim's proselytizing the trump fox news train. Subsequently the form has become a nasty bitter right wing rag - too bad! So here you are again. I can understand peoples trepidation although I generally value your input regarding science and parapsychology.

I must admit that the Trump thing somewhat shocked me and it has soured my opinion which is probably not going to be redeemable. But the fact that alt-right stuff became a popular topic was the thing I complained about which duly got me banned (by David, of course even if under direction from Alex). I didn't think that the direction of that forum should veer off into politics and conspiracies when the only reason I was there was my interest in Psi related matters. The same is true of this forum.

I should stress that I am interested in politics and have very strong feelings when it comes to Trump, etc., but it wasn't because I was so strongly anti-Trump that caused me to complain ... it was because there are other forums and internet venues where those arguments can be aired.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 2 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Larry, Ninshub
(2022-01-25, 04:29 AM)Kamarling Wrote: I must admit that the Trump thing somewhat shocked me and it has soured my opinion which is probably not going to be redeemable. But the fact that alt-right stuff became a popular topic was the thing I complained about which duly got me banned (by David, of course even if under direction from Alex). I didn't think that the direction of that forum should veer off into politics and conspiracies when the only reason I was there was my interest in Psi related matters. The same is true of this forum.

I should stress that I am interested in politics and have very strong feelings when it comes to Trump, etc., but it wasn't because I was so strongly anti-Trump that caused me to complain ... it was because there are other forums and internet venues where those arguments can be aired.

Well curiously you seem to want to drag me into a political discussion here - so if Ninshub wishes to remove your post and this that is fine by me.

I am also interested in politics, but I find all the various labels, Left, Right, Far Right, Alt-Right, etc just about meaningless. Their meaning shifts over time and gets deliberately manipulated by politicians.

What is important to me, is that I am very, very anti-war.

I am old enough to remember very clearly the numbing fear we all felt in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

(Truncated at Ninshub's request)

David
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-25, 06:01 PM by David001. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2022-01-24, 10:19 PM)David001 Wrote: Good, because I am not going to be an administrator, even if someone begs me to do the job!

David

I can only think of two or three members with such diabolical intent towards me Smile that they would beg you to become a moderator, David. But they shall remain nameless   Thumbs Up
(2022-01-25, 11:12 AM)David001 Wrote: Well curiously you seem to want to drag me into a political discussion here - so if Ninshub wishes to remove your post and this that is fine by me.

I made it clear that I don’t want to discuss politics here and it clearly needs little to no dragging to get you started. Nor does it take much for you to grasp the opportunity to once again prompt Ian to moderate at your suggestion.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson

• View a Printable Version