The A Priori Case for the Paranormal? [companion discussion thread]

21 Replies, 236 Views

(2024-07-20, 06:16 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I think the challenge here is the degree to which the a priori considerations are taken in tandem with evidence.

If someone is a hard core Physicalist, it feels less likely any of the accumulated Survival/Psi evidence would convince them on its own.

There is no evidence for the paranormal to the hard core physicalist. It would seem that Chalmers is one since ascribing consciousness to an epiphenomenon of physical neurological brain activity really amounts to that position re. consciousness, and consciousness is the key candidate for there being anything at all fundamentally nonphysical.  I think you underestimate the closed-mindedness involved here. To the hard core physicalist there is a huge mass of observational and measured evidence for materialism, and no real evidence for the contrary, usually to the point where it is considered a waste of time to even look at the paranormal.
(This post was last modified: 2024-07-20, 08:20 PM by nbtruthman. Edited 1 time in total.)
[-] The following 2 users Like nbtruthman's post:
  • Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-20, 08:18 PM)nbtruthman Wrote: There is no evidence for the paranormal to the hard core physicalist. It would seem that Chalmers is one since ascribing consciousness to an epiphenomenon of physical neurological brain activity really amounts to that position re. consciousness, and consciousness is the key candidate for there being anything at all fundamentally nonphysical.  I think you underestimate the closed-mindedness involved here. To the hard core physicalist there is a huge mass of observational and measured evidence for materialism, and no real evidence for the contrary, usually to the point where it is considered a waste of time to even look at the paranormal.

IIRC there are at least a few parapsychologists who do in fact think there's a Physicalist explanation.

However, I feel like scientists & science-facing advocates who warmed up to parapsychology - at least to the point of saying it deserves to be researched and is legitimate science - have all come through a philosophical change first. Figures such as Stuart Kauffman, Henry Stapp, Sam Harris, Bernardo Kastrup to give some examples.

I do know the transhumanist Ben Goertzel was convinced by looking at Psi data, but he wasn't a Physicalist since he has his own metaphysical view of Patternism. Turing believed in the Psi data - it comes up in his "Turing Test" paper - and Einstein seemed to believe in at least on[e] psychic. But these seem quite rarer, today, than the shift in philosophical position bringing in the willingness to even look at Psi/Survival data.

There will always be the unpersuadable, who likely will insist they are in a materialist computed simulation even after death...but proponents should target the more open minded.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-07-20, 09:14 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 2 times in total.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird, nbtruthman

• View a Printable Version