Should members be permitted to delete large swathes of their posts from threads to which they've contributed?
No (because it destroys the continuity and integrity of the threads, and spoils them for other readers/contributors).
33.33%
Yes (because it's their content and they should be free to decide whether or not it remains publicly visible on this forum).
40.00%
Not unless they have a good reason (because we should tread a nuanced middle ground here).
26.67%
15 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Should mass deletion of one's own posts be permitted?

203 Replies, 12040 Views

(2020-05-04, 08:24 AM)Typoz Wrote: I find this thread too long, I've only read the first thirty or so responses. I simply don't have the energy to read every contribution. Apologies to everyone over that.

Quote:@Typoz said :
I have several deep concerns here.

The first of which is: Why now? What is it about this particular point in the journey of this forum which has brought the topic to a head?

@ Laird post #73 said:

“Hmm. You still seem to be taking this all very, very personally. And I understand: you are one of the two members whose recent activities inspired this thread/poll. But please, accept that, as I wrote early on in this thread, this poll is not directed at you specifically and personally. You are only one of three members whose mass deletions over the lifetime of this forum have accumulated to a tipping point at which Ian and I as moderators have said to each other (paraphrased, of course), "Hmm. These mass deletions are becoming a thing. Do we really want to allow threads to continue to be messed up in this way?" - and, as you must know, the other two are not hardcore skeptics as you are a hardcore skeptic (my description; you may not accept it).”

@Laird in post #100

“In fact, moderators (if I recall correctly) did express concern about this privately, but didn't see fit to take any action publicly. It was - as I've already indicated in this thread - only when these sort of actions reached a tipping point (mass deletions in three threads in recent weeks) that we went public with our concerns.”

Hi Typoz,

I am aware that you’re recovering from an illness, so my apologies if my reply appears  harsh.

As these are by your own admission “deep concerns”.

Perhaps if you had delayed your strong response and taken slightly more time to read the thread you’d find an answer to this (and who knows, possibly other questions you might have) and maybe garner a fuller picture. I know that you’ve apologised, but coming in with such strong opinions at the end of this event, I ask myself, was this apology just a tiny bit rushed? Surely the meat of the thread deserves to be read.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • Laird
(2020-05-04, 08:24 AM)Typoz Wrote: I find this thread too long, I've only read the first thirty or so responses. I simply don't have the energy to read every contribution. Apologies to everyone over that.

I hope you are soon feeling better Typoz and whatever is amiss with you is not too serious, my friend !
[-] The following 3 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, Typoz, Laird
(2020-05-04, 07:56 AM)Obiwan Wrote: Apologies if this has been covered but one forum I frequent allows editing and deletion of comments within 30 minutes and then locks them. 

Even if you stop people removing posts, am I right in thinking they could still edit them and delete the content?

You're right in thinking that, Obiwan, yes.

However, we (or at least I) don't propose to prevent members from in general editing and deleting their posts at any time - the only problem we're trying to address is when a mass of posts is deleted from one thread in a short space of time (potentially - my preference - unless there is a good reason to have done so). I thought we might have discussed in this thread valid and invalid reasons for doing such a thing but it seems that it hasn't come up after all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Obiwan
(2020-05-04, 12:26 AM)Will Wrote: I wish I had finished reading the entire thread before voting, because my opinion shifted in that time. I voted for 3, but I've been convinced on 2.

Does the forum software not allow you to change your vote? I would have expected it did; apologies if that's not the case.
  • Stan Woolley
(2020-05-04, 12:03 PM)tim Wrote: I hope you are soon feeling better Typoz and whatever is amiss with you is not too serious, my friend !
Thanks for those kind words, Tim. I'm well past the worst now. Mainly it's a matter of rebuilding my strength after being unable to eat solid food for some time. I can eat normally now. I'm sure all will be well.
I hope things are going well with you too.
[-] The following 5 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Obiwan, Sciborg_S_Patel, tim, Ninshub, Laird
"To me that's an example of a potentially valid reason." - Ninshub

https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-s...5#pid35395
Notice the word "potentially". My intention was that was something we could discuss, among the different "reasons".

But in any event, I've personally reached the point where I think the polling is divided enough, and this thread very aversive to some, that I'm not inclined to use the poll results and make a ruling over it if it's going to make any members severely unhappy to the point of considering leaving.

I just see it as having a discussion to see what members feel about this issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Laird
I think Linda's comment was intended as a rebuke to me, Ian, with respect to the last sentence of post #153 above.

(2020-05-04, 01:43 PM)Ninshub Wrote: But in any event, I've personally reached the point where I think the polling is divided enough, and this thread very aversive to some, that I'm not inclined to use the poll results and make a ruling over it if it's going to make any members severely unhappy to the point of considering leaving.

Yes, I'm at that point too. It's too deeply felt an opposition for some of those who are opposed to the idea for us to go ahead with it.
  • Ninshub
It was worth raising the possibility and having the discussion though, IMO, although I know some disagree.
  • Typoz
The discussion can of course continue.

Perhaps one thing that can come out of this is for the forum to say that mass deletion is still discouraged, and that one should at least have a thought towards how it wrecks threads for others to read. And maybe that it would at least be preferable, if not unallowed, for the member considering doing that to let the moderators know in advance, and for what reason, and see if something else can be worked out.

Unless that's also too much of an imposition. Just a thought.
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-04, 01:57 PM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Laird, Typoz

• View a Printable Version