Reading “Proof of Spiritual Phenomena”

95 Replies, 3030 Views

(2023-03-09, 11:04 AM)David001 Wrote: His mental state at 97 was awesome!

To me, the remarkable fact is that as a philosopher, it doesn't seem to have even occurred to him that there might be an afterlife - or at least if did, he didn't choose to mention it.

I'm not surprised. I think by and large philosophers work and think and live according to a tradition, in this case the Western canon of philosophy, and they will be shaped by its limits and biases. Same thing goes for a lot of the liberal arts, soft sciences, etc. Of course there will exceptions. They live in a world of ideas, more than the average person, that in a way enriches or expands their perspectives but also imposes limits. Thoughts are always in reference to ongoing tradition and dialogues. "Afterlife" is usualliy not part of that tradition!
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, tim
(2023-03-09, 03:20 PM)quirkybrainmeat Wrote: https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articl...23-04348-2
Another recent study.

It would be good if we could get the data (reports). "On request", but probably not granted to proponents.
(2023-03-09, 03:32 PM)Ninshub Wrote: I'm not surprised. I think by and large philosophers work and think and live according to a tradition, in this case the Western canon of philosophy, and they will be shaped by its limits and biases. Same thing goes for a lot of the liberal arts, soft sciences, etc. Of course there will exceptions. They live in a world of ideas, more than the average person, that in a way enriches or expands their perspectives but also imposes limits. Thoughts are always in reference to ongoing tradition and dialogues. "Afterlife" is usualliy not part of that tradition!

I just can't imagine getting to 97, and knowing you are very close to the end - even thinking about the oblivion of death - and not considering the alternative for a moment!

I wonder what he thought when he found out.

David
[-] The following 3 users Like David001's post:
  • Silence, tim, Ninshub
(2023-03-09, 02:26 PM)tim Wrote: It's quite obvious that it must have something to do with brain function ceasing, because brain function does not normally produce NDE's, but more to the point we already have hundreds of cases where it is documented that brain function had ceased and experience continued.

I believe the experiences occur after restoration of spontaneous circulation and before the patients emerge from coma. It's known that other life threatning events under heavy stress can induce NDE like experiences and I see quirkybrainmeat has justed posted a link to a new prospective study investigating NDE experiences that score equally high on the Greyson scale but involving no cardiac arrests.
(This post was last modified: 2023-03-09, 05:59 PM by sbu. Edited 2 times in total.)
(2023-03-09, 05:58 PM)sbu Wrote: I believe the experiences occur after restoration of spontaneous circulation and before the patients emerge from coma.

Only because you want to believe that. The evidence does not support such a position. 

(2023-03-09, 05:58 PM)sbu Wrote: and I see quirkybrainmeat has justed posted a link to a new prospective study investigating NDE experiences that score equally high on the Greyson scale but involving no cardiac arrests.

The NDE's are from Steven Laurey's coma unit. I'm not sure what you're getting at there but you are certainly proving to me that you are closed minded.
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Typoz, Ninshub
(2023-03-09, 05:53 PM)David001 Wrote: I wonder what he thought when he found out.

David

Probably like most humans transitioning: man, was my perspective ridiculously tiny!
(2023-03-09, 06:04 PM)tim Wrote: Only because you want to believe that. The evidence does not support such a position. 

The NDE's are from Steven Laurey's coma unit. I'm not sure what you're getting at there but you are certainly proving to me that you are closed minded.

Exactly. The NDEs forms when people are comatose. People also usually emerge in coma after cardiac arrest. They don't suddenly jump up and start speaking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sbu's post:
  • Ninshub
(2023-03-09, 06:41 PM)sbu Wrote: Exactly. The NDEs forms when people are comatose. People also usually emerge in coma after cardiac arrest. They don't suddenly jump up and start speaking.

Evidence?
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Silence
This post has been deleted.
(2023-03-09, 06:43 PM)tim Wrote: Evidence?

Not only people in cardiac arrest report NDEs. Other stressful events triggers the experiences with the same frequency. For example: Incidence of near-death experiences in patients surviving a prolonged critical illness and their long-term impact: a prospective observational study | Critical Care | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)

=
> it has nothing to do with 'being' dead.

• View a Printable Version