Dualism or idealist monism as the best model for survival after death data

374 Replies, 15380 Views

Quote:Summary: Ed Kelly will briefly sketch the 20+-year project that has so far resulted in Irreducible Mind (2007), Beyond Physicalism (2015), and Consciousness Unbound (2021). Collectively, these books have contributed to the ongoing erosion of support for physicalism – the still-predominant worldview among mainstream biologists, neuroscientists, psychologists and social scientists (as well as humanistic scholars including scholars of religion, and the opinion elites of “advanced” societies worldwide) – and begun to identify at least in broad outline form the contours of an improved science-based worldview or conceptual framework or metaphysics that can better accommodate a wide range of exceptional but humanly vital phenomena including genius, mystical experience, and the various forms of psi.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

Quote:Both Rupert and Bernardo Kastrup are outspoken critics of mechanical materialism. They share a strong focus on questions about consciousness and its relation to the formation of reality. While their ideas exhibit considerable overlap, there are also apparent divergences. Yet, surprisingly, they have not engaged in a public discussion about some of their core interests. That is why Jonas Atlas thought it would be a good idea to bring them together for a hosted dialogue. He sensed that such an exchange could cast a new light on age-old philosophical debates. For example, Bernardo is a strong proponent of idealism, while Rupert often presents a more trinitarian view of existence. This difference (or is it perhaps similarity?) provided a good starting point for a deep discussion on the nature of the cosmic mind. As the conversation unfolded, exploring the inherent consciousness underlying all reality in its deepest depths and highest heights, they both reinforced and nuanced each other’s perspectives. The result is a thought-provoking dialogue about various insights that philosophy, theology, and science have to offer about the divine essence of existence.

Quote:Chapters

00:00:00
Introduction
00:01:32 Part 1: monistic idealism or trinitarian panentheism?
00:16:15
Part 2: what are some good metaphors to describe the conscious ground of existence?
00:20:33 Part 3: approach these questions analytically, allegorically or experimentally?
00:24:08
Part 4: how do the universal consciousness and its expressions interact?
00:34:19
Part 5: if consciousness is all there is, why does matter seem to be unconconscious?
00:40:46 Part 6: are the smallest particles conscious?
00:50:20
Part 7: are large cosmic entities conscious?
01:01:10 Part 8: does the whole cosmos have a mind of its own?
01:03:26
Part 9: why does the unity of the cosmic mind express itself in multiplicity?
01:14:19 Some final words of appreciation
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird
It's interesting how similar Rupert's and Bernardo's views are. One thing that wasn't explored that I'd have been interested in is what Rupert makes of Bernardo's One True Self idea, and whether or not (and why) he shares it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2024-07-11, 01:36 AM)Laird Wrote: It's interesting how similar Rupert's and Bernardo's views are. One thing that wasn't explored that I'd have been interested in is what Rupert makes of Bernardo's One True Self idea, and whether or not (and why) he shares it.

I get the feeling Sheldrake would reject the Only One True Subject idea, given his criticisms of [certain forms of] Idealism...which I'll try to dig up...

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2024-07-11, 02:36 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird
That's my feeling too, despite not having seen those criticisms. I hope you do manage to dig them up though, because I'm interested to see what he had to say.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version