Psience Quest

Full Version: Should we permit interviews on non-core subjects, esp AIDS/HIV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2017-09-28, 02:24 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Why not try giving me a reason why discussion of hiv/aids on this forum should not be allowed? Damaging is not a reason.

Because unfounded conspiracy theories aren't things people came here to discuss, or like Ninshub said, why people left Skeptiko. There are hidden subforums for that stuff. 

Damaging is a reason, Max. Again, because you deem it not so doesn't make it creed. I personally am not persuaded by what I've read about AIDs/HIV issues, but I think those kind of conspiracies are damaging to a fledgling forum that is trying to garner credibility, like someone else said. That's a good reason. The people who think the arguments are founded in nonsense and make the forum look like a bunch of crackpots who are willing to entertain any anti-science conspiracy are probably not comfortable with those implications. I don't think we're a conspiracy community that is willing to challenge science and the status quo on every single issue.

I get what you're saying about why it might be allowed, like I said originally. But to make the irrational and incredible leap you did to suddenly accuse people of homophobia on that basis is disingenuous and pretty nonsensical in my opinion.
(2017-09-28, 02:43 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not interested in 70% of the stuff on psiencequest. The issue isn't about merit, it about why hiv/aids is getting singled out for prohibition on psiencequest. And nobody seems able to tell me why?

This is nonsense. You're just not accepting the reasons people are listing. That's your own issue. Homophobia is such a ridiculous accusation to level I'm surprised you're still pursuing it.
(2017-09-28, 02:39 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]We're discussing why hiv/aids or homosexuality subjects should be singled out for special prohibition on psiencequest...

Christ Max, it sounds like you're being dense on purpose. No we're not. We're discussing if non-paranormal topics are fit as PQ-labelled interviews. My take is no. And I would add homeopathy, 9/11, Intelligent Design, Electric Universe, etc., etc, etc. into that category. It just happens that this is the first non-psi topic that's been brought up as a potential interview subject and why the discussion is taking place.

But I've also added my concern about having any place for this interview on the forum (outside of a conspiracy theory sub-forum), given that it also will turn some psi contributing people off - BECAUSE it can strike them as racist, homophobic, etc. etc., and they don't want to be associated with a forum with such backwards ideas. (I'm not saying that Bauer's ideas are adequately summarized as such - I have no clue -, but I know that they have been criticized, rightly or wrongly, as being associated with socially right-wing ideology.)
(2017-09-28, 02:48 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Your just not getting it!!! Wake up!!! what is being proposed is the banning of discussion of hiv/aids on psiencequest. NOT the interviewee!!! That just comes by default of the ban on hiv/aids... can't you see that!!! No decisive subjects.... and it's been labelled divisive by Ninshub!!!!!!

Yeah. I don't think you are getting it. I think there are probably 100's of subjects that aren't going to be appropriate for interviews here. Flat earth included. 

Man. My soul mate died of AIDs when I was 23 in 1989. He was an early death. I worked at a gay/lesbian resort and folks there were in various stages of HIV/AIDS. I delivered meals to shut ins in San Francisco in the 80's to people with AIDS. I'm no stranger to folks with HIV/AIDS.

If no one can convince me that the ONE GUY who thinks HIV isn't related to AIDS should be interviewed here, then I don't think he should be interviewed. There has to be at least one person who can pick up this guys flag and say--hey, this is why this guy should be interviewed. His theory makes sense because X, Y and Z. You aren't doing that. You are just calling everyone homophobes, which is absurd.

Someone stand up and defend this theory. Or else it's going to sink.
(2017-09-28, 02:54 AM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Someone stand up and defend this theory. Or else it's going to sink.

Don't you think that David did something like that already in post #47?
(2017-09-28, 03:06 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]what's been proposed by Ninshub is complete banning discussion of HIV/AIDS discussion on psiencequest

You're still not reading what I wrote Max, obviously.

Btw, homosexuality or AIDS-HIV can be discussed in Other Stuff, or politics or conspiracy theories, wherever those topics and the particular angles taken on them fit in the forum. If they feature in a psi topic, then they can fit in there too! Like any other topic....
(2017-09-28, 03:09 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I think that is often weak Homophobia... dressed up as something else.

Have you read what I wrote about Henry Bauer being identified with homophobia and racism??? I remember Chris reacting in the last forum (I think, if I remember correctly), and I had assumed it was because of something like this.....
(2017-09-28, 03:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I'm reading that you are proposing to ban this interview because it discusses HIV/AIDS
This is my last post answering you on this topic, Max, because you are either a) an incredibly bad reader, or b) deliberately trolling me. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and suppose you're reacting because you've been emotionally triggered.

No, I'm proposing this interview not be included because it's not paranormal.

(2017-09-28, 03:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]you've labeled that a divisive subject...

No, I've labeled Bauer's theory about AIDS-HIV a potentially divisive subject. If Chris is fine with it, I'm OK with it too. But that still wouldn't make it a PQ interview, because it's not a paranormal topic.
(2017-09-27, 08:30 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]On this subject, I see Vortex says on Skeptiko that he is hoping to interview Henry Bauer on HIV/AIDS for PsienceQuest.

Please could someone clarify whether this subject would be considered part of this site's remit?

The interview would be on his general position concerning science, not on his HIV-AIDS positions. They may be mentioned by him as an example, of course, but they definitely will not be central concern.

It is for the Psience Quest community to decide whether Bauer is an acceptable guest. If not, I will just tell him he is not welcome by us, and the interview is cancelled. But I hope he will be welcome, since his ideas concerning scientific process is worth listening.

And the scientific status of paranormal research will be one of the topics I will discuss with him.

So, think and decide, people. I will not interview someone you don't want here. Yet, as I said, questions that I would ask Bauer if you agree with my invitation initiative will be relevant for our forum.
Hi Long time lurker here - I don't normally post on Internet forums but I was compelled to make an exception here!

Max_B I think you may have misread some of the previous posts (especially Chris). I think you believe some people object to Bauer because they are homophobic and uncomfortable with HIV/AIDS discussion. It is in fact the opposite - Bauer has been accused in the past of having homophobic views and because HIV/AIDS denialism (which is what Bauer is promoting) has the effect of people being denied effective medical treatment. It is Bauers bigoted views that Chris and some others object to.

Just wanted to point that out to you Max_B as I hate to see you guys falling out over a misunderstanding.

By the way, loving your work on this forum. Thanks to all involved in setting it up and to the members for the insightful contributions. It has helped get me through some difficult times.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17