Psience Quest

Full Version: Should we permit interviews on non-core subjects, esp AIDS/HIV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2017-09-28, 08:20 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Vortex said above: "The interview would be on his general position concerning science, not on his HIV-AIDS positions. They may be mentioned by him as an example, of course, but they definitely will not be central concern."

Yes, I did see that, but I thought it was rather vague?

Chris

It seems that people are going to post HIV/AIDS denialist propaganda here anyway, whether or not Henry Bauer is interviewed about it.

For the reasons I've already explained, I'm going to withdraw now.
(2017-09-28, 08:47 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that people are going to post HIV/AIDS denialist propaganda here anyway, whether or not Henry Bauer is interviewed about it.

I don't see that happening, other than perhaps with David, and maybe Max?  I have said that I don't think it's an appropriate discussion for the forum as have many others.
(2017-09-28, 08:40 AM)DaveB Wrote: [ -> ]The best place for your friends to study this question (...)

I don't think my friends would be interested. I said that if I, if I were so inclined, could seek that info out if I wanted to, but that I didn't think this topic was appropriate for this forum.
(2017-09-28, 08:47 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that people are going to post HIV/AIDS denialist propaganda here anyway, whether or not Henry Bauer is interviewed about it.

It would be a shame if you left the forum. Just wait awhile.
(2017-09-28, 09:03 AM)XDoppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]Ha? A new poster who claims to be a gay man, but also praises Mormonism?

Take some new posters with a grain of salt, would you?

Haha I know what you mean but there are a lot of gay people who are religious and find some way to accomodate it - at least to their own satisfaction.  I’m sure you know that. Being gay doesn’t give anyone authority to speak about the wider community afaics. If he’s speaking about his own experience all well and good.
(2017-09-28, 09:20 AM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Haha I know what you mean but there are a lot of gay people who are religious and find some way to accomodate it - at least to their own satisfaction.  I’m sure you know that. Being gay doesn’t give anyone authority to speak about the wider community afaics. If he’s speaking about his own experience all well and good.

Yes, I get that, but he's a new poster, so therefore we don't know who he is as he doesn't have a "forum history" to judge whether he is real or not.

I have a few in-laws who are Mormon, including a gay man who married one of my cousins. He married her when she was 18, when he was 26. He seems lovely as a person, but she did have to convert to Mormonism, and I wonder what her life is now going to be like.

Dealing with Mormon inlaws is a PITA. They are worse than dealing with Southern Baptists, in my opinion.

So yeah, I would not trust new posters who claim to be gay, buy into the HIV denialism and exhort Mormonism, but that's just me.

I'm not saying he isn't for real, but I would take it with a grain of salt. That's all I'm trying to say.
(2017-09-28, 09:33 AM)9Doppelgänger Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I get that, but he's a new poster, so therefore we don't know who he is as he doesn't have a "forum history" to judge whether he is real or not.

I have a few in-laws who are Mormon, including a gay man who married one of my cousins. He married her when she was 18, when he was 26. He seems lovely as a person, but she did have to convert to Mormonism, and I wonder what her life is now going to be like.

Dealing with Mormon inlaws is a PITA. They are worse than dealing with Southern Baptists, in my opinion.

So yeah, I would not trust new posters who claim to be gay, buy into the HIV denialism and exhort Mormonism, but that's just me.

I'm not saying he isn't for real, but I would take it with a grain of salt. That's all I'm trying to say.

Absolutely. It’s a funny old world isn’t it? Time reveals all things.Smile

I'd like you to stay but if this Bauer interview is posted and if this becomes another conspiracy theory led site I'm not sure I'll stick around either. I came here to discuss psi and related topics, not HIV denying nonsense (I've treated people with HIV receiving anti-virals before, the denial is nonsense I'm afraid). I am putting my credibility on the line by getting interviews here, I mostly will be contacting people as my actual self, how many people will want to appear on a forum where HIV denying apparently 'former' homophobes are given a platform?
(2017-09-28, 03:23 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so fucking angry about this... Paul Monette get's this so right... the straights killed them by silence
You know what Max. I'm getting pissed to. That you decide to turn this tread, maybe this forum, into a conversation about this subject.

I don't give a damn about your's or anyone's thoughts about intimate relationships. 

Leave it at the friggin door!

And I would ask that this thread get some attention to see if moderation is in order, because I am offended by Max's implication that we, as a group, are making some sort of statement against his personal choices.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17