Vegetarianism and veganism

117 Replies, 14073 Views

This post has been deleted.
(2018-08-30, 10:48 AM)Brian Wrote: Where is that?

So when you said you use Startpage to watch vids I went there and typed in the search box "Hysterical literature" and it brings up a link.
(2018-08-30, 10:56 AM)Brian Wrote: I have been to Saluhallen a number of times - it's a good market.  I could enjoy an afternoon out there!  Behind Saluhallen is a car park with various food vans and one of them is totally vegan.  It's a bit expensive but I will try it one day.

I don't know a lot about the environmental stuff but buying locally means you are not supporting the use of a lot of polluting transport in business and vegetables and grains take a lot less resources to farm than animal farming does and don't produce the methane that animal farming does.  Sweden is, for reasons unknown to me, quite ahead in terms of environmental and ethical concerns and we recycle nearly everything.  I should study that more and find out about the history.

https://sweden.se/nature/sustainable-living/

"Sweden ranks first in the EU in consumption of organic foods, leads the way in recycling drinks cans and bottles, and gets the highest share of its energy from renewable sources. What’s more, Swedish fashion retailer H&M is a world leader in using organic cotton and the Government has allocated SEK 400 million for research and development of environment technology.

In Europe, where the organic food market is growing by 5-7 per cent a year, Sweden ranks at the top of the green shoppers list. A study by the European Commission found that 40 per cent of Swedes had purchased an eco-labeled item in the past month, which is more often than the European average.
In recent years, more stores with organic apparel have opened while established brands have started to use organic fabrics in their collections. According to the organization Textile Exchange, H&M is the world’s largest user of organic cotton."

Hey way to go Sweden!  Although I prefer folks buying local produce direct from farmers at farmer's markets, farm stands or through a CSA program, I can see how stocking local produce at a main supermarket would expand the reach (market) of local produce and allow for greater accessibility for the supermarket shopper.  Here in America, it's rare to find any local produce at main supermarkets (although an argument could be made that in CA a high % of the produce is basically local to the state).  I think there are many environmental benefits to avoiding supermarkets; for example, by growing my own and buying/bartering direct from farmers, there is minimal to no transportation (pollution), no packaging (pollution), no processed food (pollution), and no food waste (pollution).

RE:  environmental benefits of avoiding animal farming/meat (resources/methane) - Do you feel that all animal meat, regardless of how it is produced/harvested, should be avoided?  Or are your vegan choices based on factory farmed animals and the environmentally disastrous model we implement on an industrial scale?
(2018-08-31, 05:53 PM)Brian Wrote: I wanted this thread to be about vegetarianism and veganism not the opposite.  I'm not preaching to meat heads so please don't preach to vegans.  No more anti vegan videos or I will delete the thread!!!

Sure.

It’s just odd you’d use the phrase, meat-head, when the host of that show, everyone he interviews, and most of the audience, including myself, were all vegetarians or vegans (who drastically wrecked their/our health).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reece's post:
  • Valmar
(2018-08-31, 05:53 PM)Brian Wrote: I wanted this thread to be about vegetarianism and veganism not the opposite.  I'm not preaching to meat heads so please don't preach to vegans.  No more anti vegan videos or I will delete the thread!!!
Sorry Brian but deleting threads in which people have participated is not allowed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Valmar, Doug
"The Moronic Meat Head Thread"

Nice title, I suppose. :|
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 1 user Likes Valmar's post:
  • Reece
Brian, how are civilised people meant to deal with this? A difference of opinion is just that.

No need to go off the deep end.  Huh
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 4 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Silence, Valmar, Ninshub, Doug

• View a Printable Version