Skeptiko forums other than its show forum to be closed [split from: Happy fourth board anniversary]

50 Replies, 2832 Views

(2021-09-23, 03:38 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote:  

Alex has surely done more to advance topics such as NDEs and consciousness in general that any of us here. So I’d crow less and be thankful to him for Skeptiko, for all his and it’s members perceived flaws. 

I would remind people that this interview with Eben Alexander was only a few months ago. 

https://skeptiko.com/eben-alexander-nde-...s-out-504/

Perhaps I should be more clear. I was referring to his post consciousness/nde interview excursions. 
I like to watch Bill Mahers show, but I always wish he'd keep his mouth shut and let his guests get a word in, lol
(This post was last modified: 2021-09-23, 07:51 PM by iPsoFacTo.)
(2021-09-23, 03:38 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Alex has surely done more to advance topics such as NDEs and consciousness in general that any of us here.

Totally fair call, Steve, and I endorse it. Whatever the criticisms of his shutting down of forums on his board, and however much he talks whilst interviewing guests, Alex has been instrumental in getting the word out. We really do owe him a debt of gratitude for that. And we should recognise that he's on his own journey, albeit that he is sharing that journey publicly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Larry
I haven't been here for a few days so this is news to me. Not really surprising news considering the way Alex dumped a whole raft of conversations previously. 

I endorse the views that we should endeavour to maintain this forum as a Psi related discussion board, not as a "anything fringe or controversial" talking shop. It is my considered opinion that, as the cultural polarisation continues apace, the conspiracy theorists have dragged anything that challenges the orthodox materialist view down the rabbit hole that used to be reserved for the loonies. I am sad that my views and any views that offer a spiritual or idealistic alternative are now considered anti-science along with the vaccination opponent voices.

There is a video on YouTube that I watched just today which says much the same thing - how the Yoga and Wellness community is also being dragged down that rabbit hole so that they too are now tainted with the anti-science label. 

https://youtu.be/ltfVfylcxag
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 4 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Brian, tim, Typoz, Ninshub
Some people seem desperate to stay in the ‘respectable, worthy, scientific camp’. I say that we ought to stop dreaming and look closely in the mirror. When we do so, are we seeing a true reflection of ourselves or is it maybe an illusion? Is it a picture of us through the filter of our brain, or is it a picture of us as others see us or some other deception that we see looking back at us. I suspect the true picture, like the one we see when looking through our eyes at reality around us, is quite different. 

An individuals ‘truth, honesty, facts,etc’ are perhaps all just another slippery idea in our minds,  but one we cling to. Some say that we think our reality into being. What type of collective world would we be forming if the vast majority of us are in fact deluding ourselves? We vote people into power that many of us know are liars and cheats, but we turn a blind eye. We think we know things, but do we really? 

Who are the sane ones and who are insane? Who would we consider a ‘conspiracy theorist’ and who do we see as ‘respectable, sensible, ‘good’ etc’? Is James Corbett dangerous? How about David Icke? How about Sweden’s PM, the one that went against the advice of the majority?Perhaps you think they should be banned or censored? Are they more dangerous than our leader in the UK, PM Boris Johnson? Or Joe Biden? What would the average Iranian say? Many soak up the tv news as if it were all ‘respectable’, is the BBC as honest as grannies apple pie? 

Kamarling fervently wishes that this forum could be free from ‘conspiracy theorists’ and other pollutants. He seems to think that his “…views and any views that offer a spiritual or idealistic alternative are now considered anti-science…” and appears to lay the blame with ‘conspiracy theorists’.

No, it is obvious that such thinking as his (ours) has never been accepted by ‘mainstream science’ in our lifetime. You might like to believe that this forum is founded on solid ground, Scientific ground, and I might agree with you, but there’s no way that it is or has been seen in that way by the majority of scientists. It is ironic that I would suspect that it is the more open minded scientists that would perhaps welcome Kamarling and his more spiritual views into the fold. The dogmatic ones would never consider doing so. 

As David001 has said, much of science is not what it was. I too think many fields of science have been corrupted into a dark place. Is that really where you want to put all your eggs?
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(2021-09-24, 07:51 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Some people seem desperate to stay in the ‘respectable, worthy, scientific camp’.
Speaking for myself, I'm not desperate about anything. The only goal I have really is to be true to myself. I suspect that is what most people, yourself included want too. We are just individuals, pursuing our own goals. This forum is just one place where there is some common ground on some topics. I don't think it is the be-all and end-all of anything. These days I'm spending much more time reconnecting with friends in the physical 3-D world. That is where my attention is focussed. Over the past year or two several lifelong friends have passed away, of various causes, and I'm just realising how every moment is precious. It may be my turn to go next Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • tim, Stan Woolley
(2021-09-24, 08:11 AM)Typoz Wrote: I'm just realising how every moment is precious. It may be my turn to go next Wink

I realised that ten years ago Typoz. Does this forum matter much? Probably not. 

“The survival rate after hemorrhagic stroke was 26.7% within a period of five years.”

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...vrhGnxX3h1
(2021-09-24, 07:51 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Some people seem desperate to stay in the ‘respectable, worthy, scientific camp’. I say that we ought to stop dreaming and look closely in the mirror. When we do so, are we seeing a true reflection of ourselves or is it maybe an illusion? Is it a picture of us through the filter of our brain, or is it a picture of us as others see us or some other deception that we see looking back at us. I suspect the true picture, like the one we see when looking through our eyes at reality around us, is quite different. 

An individuals ‘truth, honesty, facts,etc’ are perhaps all just another slippery idea in our minds,  but one we cling to. Some say that we think our reality into being. What type of collective world would we be forming if the vast majority of us are in fact deluding ourselves? We vote people into power that many of us know are liars and cheats, but we turn a blind eye. We think we know things, but do we really? 

Who are the sane ones and who are insane? Who would we consider a ‘conspiracy theorist’ and who do we see as ‘respectable, sensible, ‘good’ etc’? Is James Corbett dangerous? How about David Icke? How about Sweden’s PM, the one that went against the advice of the majority?Perhaps you think they should be banned or censored? Are they more dangerous than our leader in the UK, PM Boris Johnson? Or Joe Biden? What would the average Iranian say? Many soak up the tv news as if it were all ‘respectable’, is the BBC as honest as grannies apple pie? 

Kamarling fervently wishes that this forum could be free from ‘conspiracy theorists’ and other pollutants. He seems to think that his “…views and any views that offer a spiritual or idealistic alternative are now considered anti-science…” and appears to lay the blame with ‘conspiracy theorists’.

No, it is obvious that such thinking as his (ours) has never been accepted by ‘mainstream science’ in our lifetime. You might like to believe that this forum is founded on solid ground, Scientific ground, and I might agree with you, but there’s no way that it is or has been seen in that way by the majority of scientists. It is ironic that I would suspect that it is the more open minded scientists that would perhaps welcome Kamarling and his more spiritual views into the fold. The dogmatic ones would never consider doing so. 

As David001 has said, much of science is not what it was. I too think many fields of science have been corrupted into a dark place. Is that really where you want to put all your eggs?

Hi, Stan. I can't easily parse/work out what you are advocating there. Could you simplify it for simpletons like my myself ?
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Obiwan, Stan Woolley
I can put someone on ignore (presently I only have one such) but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the replies when they are quoted in full. All I can say is that, should those "polluting" conspiracy theorists (I would have used a stronger term) move in here from Skeptiko, then I will be moving out. World events are depressing enough without having to subject myself to more of the same shit here. 

That would be a shame as I consider this place to be something of a sanctuary.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Raimo, iPsoFacTo, tim
(2021-09-24, 10:34 AM)Kamarling Wrote: I can put someone on ignore (presently I only have one such) but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the replies when they are quoted in full. All I can say is that, should those "polluting" conspiracy theorists (I would have used a stronger term) move in here from Skeptiko, then I will be moving out. World events are depressing enough without having to subject myself to more of the same shit here. 

That would be a shame as I consider this place to be something of a sanctuary.

My opinions are my own, they are of little consequence. I think it’s sad that they have the effect on you that they appear to have. 

I doubt very much that there will be many moving over from Skeptiko, your sanctuary is safe.
(2021-09-24, 10:17 AM)tim Wrote: Hi, Stan. I can't easily parse/work out what you are advocating there. Could you simplify it for simpletons like my myself ?

Tim, you are far from a simpleton.

What would be the point? Some of it is obvious, some of it less so, probably based on my feelings, so difficult to put into words. Attempting to answer the questions in this paragraph may help.

Quote:Who are the ‘sane’ ones and who are ‘insane’? Who would we consider a ‘conspiracy theorist’ and who do we see as ‘respectable, sensible, ‘good’ etc’? Is James Corbett dangerous? How about David Icke? 

Basically, I see people with hardened opinions and attitudes as being dangerous.

• View a Printable Version