Puzzle Corner

112 Replies, 9262 Views

(2020-04-21, 06:10 PM)fls Wrote: Weighing in one go means you put whatever it is you want to weigh on the scale, then you add or subtract weights until it balances. 

Show contentSpoiler:

Ahh, thanks Linda. I have to be honest, I realise the question is/was vaguely worded and leaves it too open to interpretation/further clarification. I'm just going to tell myself that my original answer was so correct that it broke your question  Tongue

A little further response to your comment here though:

Show contentwhat's going on:
(2020-04-21, 06:34 PM)manjit Wrote: Ahh, thanks Linda. I have to be honest, I realise the question is/was vaguely worded and leaves it too open to interpretation/further clarification. I'm just going to tell myself that my original answer was so correct that it broke your question  Tongue

A little further response to your comment here though:

This is a problem with any puzzle - because it is an artificial circumstance, it is often the case that one can offer a solution which ignores the point of the puzzle or assumes conditions which weren't available. You can always suggest that the product be taken to the local post office and the scale at the self-service kiosk be used to save the cost of any weights. It shouldn't count against me if I fail to stipulate that this isn't an option.  Smile

Show contentSpoiler:
(This post was last modified: 2020-04-21, 07:31 PM by fls.)
Hint 2:

Show contentSpoiler:
(2020-04-21, 12:48 PM)fls Wrote: The merchant thinks on this a bit and says, "I can do this with 4 weights." What size weights do they order? 

Their spouse points out that with a little creativity, they can probably do it with one. 

Linda

Show contentSpoiler:
[-] The following 3 users Like fls's post:
  • Ninshub, Laird, manjit
(2020-04-21, 03:40 PM)Laird Wrote: will think on it overnight...

It turned out to be two or three nights, and then my internet went down, so my response has been delayed, but this, finally, is my solution:

Show contentMy solution:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • fls
(2020-04-26, 09:54 AM)Laird Wrote: this, finally, is my solution

I now see that Linda revealed the solution in the spoiler in the post above mine, so there's no way for me to prove that I arrived at it independently, but... I did - though with the help of a brute-force algorithm. I now see the logic behind how it could have been arrived at without resorting to brute force, but lots of things like this seem much simpler - by which I mean "much more obvious" - in hindsight.
(This post was last modified: 2020-04-26, 09:58 AM by Laird.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Ninshub
Oh, and the Spouse Solution is a good one.
(2020-04-21, 03:56 PM)Silence Wrote:
Show contentSpoiler:
Show contentMy reply to Silence's "spoilered" question:
(This post was last modified: 2020-04-26, 10:47 AM by Laird.)
(2020-04-26, 10:17 AM)Laird Wrote:
Show contentMy reply to Silence's \"spoilered" question:
Show contentSpoiler:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silence's post:
  • Laird
(2020-04-26, 09:57 AM)Laird Wrote: I now see that Linda revealed the solution in the spoiler in the post above mine, so there's no way for me to prove that I arrived at it independently, but... I did - though with the help of a brute-force algorithm. I now see the logic behind how it could have been arrived at without resorting to brute force, but lots of things like this seem much simpler - by which I mean "much more obvious" - in hindsight.

I assume people are honest about the source of their solutions. After all, there's not much incentive to lie - the pleasure comes from working out a solution, which is lost if you get the answer elsewhere.

Linda
[-] The following 1 user Likes fls's post:
  • Laird

• View a Printable Version