Forum Rules and Guidelines Discussion

136 Replies, 13053 Views

(2022-01-22, 08:42 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Restricting posting has not been done in arbitrary ways. If you think this has been the case, please argue the point more precisely.
Well I heard a rumour that you were restricting people in the off-topic part of the forum from posting more than 3 times per week. I begin to think that rumour isn't  true, so I will withdraw that comment.
Quote:Bringing up content outside the opt-in forums that belongs to them - of which this thread is a part (that is, outside the opt-in forums) - is not allowed, per the forum rules. That applies to whatever the specific topic is.

My main problem with this forum is that it is too damn quiet. Most conversations seem to go dead almost at once. I wish we could get some of the excitement back. One reason to permit some off-topic conversations is because ultimately the material and non-material realms overlap.

For example, this is what a remarkable (though erratic) psychic, Sylvia Browne, wrote in 2008 about what we now know as COVID:
Quote:In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments. Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely.

Seen from certain countries, it seems likely that every part of that prediction will turn out to be correct, with the exception of the prediction for 2030, of course, which must wait another 10 years.
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-23, 10:59 AM by David001. Edited 1 time in total.)
[-] The following 2 users Like David001's post:
  • stephenw, Stan Woolley
(2022-01-22, 08:46 PM)Ninshub Wrote: You have not been restricted in talking about moderation in this thread. The part of your post that was excised was a part where you were going into specific details of content that is reserved for the opt-in forums.

If I think Co#@d or Va*”/es are subjects which provoke certain unusually strong emotions which may well have affected the way moderation is done here, but I am not allowed to even mention said topics without my posts being thoughtlessly deleted. With Kamarling and others here not willing to look on the hidden forums where should I go to, in your own words…

“The[size=1]The[/size] moderation policy is currently being discussed. Again, if anyone wants to discuss that specifically, you input here is very welcome.” 
As long as you don’t mention the war.  Wink

I think it’s rather childish.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-23, 11:21 AM by Stan Woolley. Edited 2 times in total.)
(2022-01-23, 10:59 AM)David001 Wrote: For example, this is what a remarkable (though erratic) psychic, Sylvia Browne, wrote in 2008 about what we now know as COVID:

Isn't this a lot of the problem.  Cherry picking one thing that seems to fit from among all the many things the same person said that were totally wrong and contradictory and applying it to something very real and deadly that is killing people's loved ones should be something that is done behind closed doors where other shameful things are done.
For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t want to see this forum totally disappear. 

If it came to a choice - I wouldn’t want the hidden forum to be the death of the main forum. I don’t think it is a problem to very many people except some with very strong opinions, which I think are dogmatic in nature. These include at least three of the active founder members that I know of. I say this after making my poll on “what people thought about the hidden forums”. The forum has been great, as I am a long way down the road of learning many lessons, difficult lessons. 

It’s ironic given the so called nature of the forum and it’s members. 

If there was a members vote on that basis, and the balanced, transparent consensus was to do away with the hidden forums (a mistake in my opinion), at this stage I’d be willing to walk away.

I think most valuable lessons learned would include consciousnesses that possess as open mind as possible.
(2022-01-23, 01:25 PM)Brian Wrote: should be something that is done behind closed doors where other shameful things are done.

And when you and others are happy that those closed doors are firmly shut so that no-one is allowed to see what might be happening - that’s when real evil is allowed to flourish. 

God is interested in what occurs on both sides of the door Brian. You can fool humans, but not God.
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-23, 01:50 PM by Stan Woolley. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2022-01-23, 10:59 AM)David001 Wrote: Well I heard a rumour that you were restricting people in the off-topic part of the forum from posting more than 3 times per week. I begin to think that rumour isn't  true, so I will withdraw that comment.
A rumour? Actually it was an announcement (see post below) regarding the number of embedded content that can be posted per week in the opt-in forums, not the number of posts themselves - an announcement that was clearly stated in this thread (which has prompted the renewed discussion) and added to the forum rules section. This was decided by the admins as a whole, not myself, and it is governed by a forum plug-in that limits that number, not by moderators actively removing content.

If you hear a "rumour" regarding this forum, you can always verify its basis by simply asking the admins, or raising the question in a thread.

(2022-01-04, 04:12 PM)Ninshub Wrote: A rule has been added in the the forum rules regarding the number of links or embedded content per week members may post in the opt-in sub-forums. This has been put into place because the owners and administrators of the forum want to keep the forum first and foremost about psi.

In the same spirit, we ask that members use restraint when using those opt-in sub-forums and keep in mind the greater forum's main orientation.
(This post was last modified: 2022-01-23, 02:20 PM by Ninshub. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2022-01-23, 11:20 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: If I think Co#@d or Va*”/es are subjects which provoke certain unusually strong emotions which may well have affected the way moderation is done here, but I am not allowed to even mention said topics without my posts being thoughtlessly deleted. With Kamarling and others here not willing to look on the hidden forums where should I go to, in your own words…
You didn't simply mention covid or vaccines, you went into details - see the post you finally made in the relevant section.
(2022-01-23, 10:59 AM)David001 Wrote: My main problem with this forum is that it is too damn quiet. Most conversations seem to go dead almost at once. I wish we could get some of the excitement back.
That's a valid point. I think it's easier and maybe natural for other hot political or social topics to be more "exciting" than psi. That being said, maybe we could all try and think of ways of bringing more excitement into the main part of the forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Larry, David001
(2022-01-22, 07:02 PM)Kamarling Wrote: I wondered how long it would take you to start interfering in the moderation process and questioning decisions. The wise and experienced old-timer? Or the one who handed out bans like confetti which led, in part, to the founding of this forum and here you are again.

Thank you for saying this. I don't want to comment on David personally, but his moderation at skeptiko and the effect it had on the forum there should not be forgotten as he integrates into this forum. His comments on moderation should be taken with a grain of salt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • tim
(2022-01-22, 07:02 PM)Kamarling Wrote: I wondered how long it would take you to start interfering in the moderation process and questioning decisions. The wise and experienced old-timer? Or the one who handed out bans like confetti which led, in part, to the founding of this forum and here you are again.
Is everyone who comments on this thread guilty of interfering in the moderation process?

I am interested in seeing this forum flourish, I have no wish to be an actual moderator here - believe me or not!
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • Stan Woolley

• View a Printable Version