The question of political / conspiracy theory content

327 Replies, 47286 Views

This post has been deleted.
Is it possible to embed tweets into our posts?

*whistles innocently*
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

Well, it's slightly over a week since the poll started, so let's declare the results. "Yes" wins at 19 votes out of 33, roughly 58%, a definitive majority:

Should conspiracy theory / political discussion be allowed on this forum?

Code:
Yes    19     57.58%
No     3      9.09%
Only those closely related to the core Psience Quest topics
    11     33.33%

Now, let's poll on the question as to where political/CT discussions may be held on the forum. Here are some potential poll options. These suggestions are from memory: I haven't gone through the thread as I said I would, so I hope that if I have missed any option that anybody thinks should be included, that person speaks up:

Proposed poll: where within the Psience Quest forums may political/CT discussions be held?
  • Within the "Other Stuff" forum by creating a new thread for each political/CT topic.
  • Within two individual threads in the "Other Stuff" forum: one for politics and one for CTs.
  • Within two sub-forums within the "Other Stuff" forum (with the sub-forums being publicly visible).
  • As above but with the sub-forums being visible to logged-in members only.
  • As above but with the sub-forums being visible only to members of a particular usergroup. Individual members will be able to join and leave this/these usergroup(s) themselves (assuming this is possible, which I think it is; if not possible, they will have to ask an admin to add/remove them).

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-31, 10:06 AM by Laird.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Slorri, Doug
This post has been deleted.
(2017-08-30, 08:18 AM)Laird Wrote: Now, let's poll on the question as to where political/CT discussions may be held on the forum.

Also, to try to speed this process up, let's call the next poll after five days rather than seven - very little changed in the final two days of polling for this poll. As always, raise objections if you have any.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes iPsoFacTo's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-08-30, 10:02 AM)Laird Wrote: Also, to try to speed this process up, let's call the next poll after five days rather than seven - very little changed in the final two days of polling for this poll. As always, raise objections if you have any.

10 days or 2 weeks instead of 5 days, I'd say. In time for the forum's occasionals to have a say.
[-] The following 4 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Doug, malf, Sciborg_S_Patel, Laird
(2017-08-30, 02:24 PM)Ninshub Wrote: 10 days or 2 weeks instead of 5 days, I'd say. In time for the forum's occasionals to have a say.

OK. I guess there's no rush.
(2017-08-30, 08:18 AM)Laird Wrote: Now, let's poll on the question as to where political/CT discussions may be held on the forum. Here are some potential poll options.

Since nobody has raised any objection or even comment after more than 24 hours (aside from Ian's comments re timeframe), I have initiated the poll. Please raise any/all objections right here!
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-31, 10:27 AM by Laird.)
Does anyone have any strong feeling about any of the options? Any reason one choice may be better than any of the others. It seems like all the choices segregate that stuff somewhere under Other. That seems good.

• View a Printable Version