Search Results
    Thread: Why has no one won any of the other non-Randi prizes?
Post: RE: Why has no one won any of the other non-Randi ...

Kamarling Wrote: (2023-10-10, 07:20 PM) -- Why is the prize - any prize - the deciding factor in most skeptical arguments? It is the go-to response and I suspect that is because the starting assumpti...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 08:53 PM
 568     16

sbu Wrote: (2023-10-10, 01:51 PM) -- Hi Wanderer, to add a touch of sarcasm, it seems that the other debaters here have already established that if any competition fails to prove the existence of cla...
Posted by Kamarling in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 07:46 PM
 568     16

sbu Wrote: (2023-10-10, 01:51 PM) -- Hi Wanderer, to add a touch of sarcasm, it seems that the other debaters here have already established that if any competition fails to prove the existence of cla...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 05:41 PM
 568     16

The biggest part of the answer may be that the well-known inconsistency of the phenomena (even with the best mediums) makes "scientifically" testing them a very difficult proposition. The best mediums...
Posted by nbtruthman in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 03:18 PM
 568     16

I can think of a number of reasons: 1 no one can do what is claimed; 2 people can do it but not consistently or on demand: 3 mediums are frightened of public ridicule by organisations they don’t ...
Posted by Obiwan in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 03:07 PM
 568     16

I don't see a reason to take the skeptic challenges seriously at first glance, but I suppose it gives us a warning that celebrity mediums may not have a consistent enough talent and might be committin...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-10-10, 01:43 PM
 568     16
    Thread: Why did no one ever win the Randi Million Dollar Challenge?
Post: RE: Why did no one ever win the Randi Million Doll...

The big shame about Randi's legacy is that the first and usually only argument that armchair skeptics have towards psi abilities is still "why hasn't anyone won that million dollar prize?". The fact ...
Posted by Kamarling in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-30, 02:59 AM
 1,915     49

RViewer88 Wrote: (2023-09-29, 10:07 PM) -- @"Wanderer"#571  >I want to clarify that it was not my intention to imply that people that claims that anyone can do what Lulova ostensibly could do would ...
Posted by RViewer88 in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-29, 10:22 PM
 1,915     49

@"Wanderer"#571  >I want to clarify that it was not my intention to imply that people that claims that anyone can do what Lulova ostensibly could do would be insane. It was rather the way that the ...
Posted by RViewer88 in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-29, 10:07 PM
 1,915     49

Kamarling Wrote: (2023-09-29, 03:28 AM) -- Someone near and dear to me told me recently that I am wasting my time recommending a certain Netflix series (Surviving Death (https://www.netflix.com/title...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-29, 03:54 PM
 1,915     49

Wanderer Wrote: (2023-09-28, 07:33 PM) -- I don't think this example is equivalent to the situation with Randi. Religious fanatics that persecute heretics do this because they don't want to risk that...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-28, 09:27 PM
 1,915     49

Mediochre Wrote: (2023-09-26, 05:23 AM) -- I always liked the idea of the Randi Prize, though obviously its implementation was extremely biased and set up to fail, some of which is discussed in the v...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-26, 04:40 PM
 1,915     49

RViewer88 Wrote: (2023-09-26, 02:31 AM) -- The reality is that human motivation is rather complicated and not adequately explicable in terms of what individuals explicitly believe or are aware of, le...
Posted by Typoz in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-26, 06:43 AM
 1,915     49

@"Wanderer"#571  >Randi and all of the other pseudoskeptics seems to be genuinely convinced that there are no real psychics and mediums. If Randi and the other pseudoskeptics are genuinely convince...
Posted by RViewer88 in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-26, 02:31 AM
 1,915     49

Wanderer Wrote: (2023-09-25, 12:42 AM) -- Perhaps one could argue that they are subconsciously afraid that they could be wrong and that paranormal phenomena could be for real, but it is difficult for...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2023-09-25, 02:49 AM
 1,915     49
    Thread: Indridi Indridason's contact with Emil Jensen

Wanderer Wrote: (2023-08-29, 06:34 AM) -- One thing that I have been thinking about is whether there could have been any possibility that the Copenhagen fire case could be a fraud created after the n...
 3,959     123

Wanderer Wrote: (2023-08-29, 05:58 AM) -- Haraldsson writes this in the "A Perfect Case?" paper, page 222: "On the other hand Copenhagen was the capital of the Danish kingdom of which Iceland was a...
 3,959     123

>Mendel didn't claim that spirits of ancestors are behind his explanation of genetics... False analogy. More debunker scoffing rather than argument. Once again, that's not allowed here. Unsurprisingl...
 3,959     123

nbtruthman Wrote: (2023-08-25, 02:55 PM) -- What about Julie Beischel's successful mediumistic communication experiments with certain high performing mediums using extremely controlled conditions, an...
 3,959     123

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2023-08-25, 02:18 PM) -- But I don't think we're discussing genetics as a scientific field, more Mendel's potential fraud while still providing some evidence. I don't think...
 3,959     123