Search Results
    Thread: List of Parapsychological Community Resources

If you are looking for reading material during self-quarantine, take a look at this list of parapsychological community resources compiled by David Metcalfe. https://davidmetcalfe.wordpress.com/202...
 531     3
    Thread: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal?
Post: RE: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal...

From above, " ...consciousness can be thought of as a fundamental “field” that interacts with, and is integral to, matter." The field concept turns out to be very useful for modeling functional met...
 1,122     7
    Thread: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal?
Post: RE: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal...

A common argument amongst parapsychologists is that paranormal phenomena can be explained without inventing new science. (I think this is an effort to be more acceptable to mainstream scientise (Norma...
 1,122     7
    Thread: A window into Guerrilla Skeptics of Wikipedia

Chris, from my editor's perspective, tactics used by the skeptic editors have been refined over the years. There was a lot of talk about Wikipedia Bullying Editors (https://ethericstudies.org/wikipedi...
Posted by Tom Butler in Other Topics , 2020-02-05, 07:51 PM
 1,674     11
    Thread: Renewal of hosting

Yes, that article points to what I experienced and the same players. Now I use plugins. The Big Circle organically evolved out of the cooperation of several grieving mothers on the ATransC Idea Exc...
Posted by Tom Butler in Forum Questions, Suggestions and Announcements , 2020-02-05, 07:35 PM
 1,751     15
    Thread: Humans are hardwired to dismiss facts that don’t fit their worldview
Post: RE: Humans are hardwired to dismiss facts that don...

If dualism is reasonably correct, one version is that a person is an immortal personality entangled with a human avatar for this lifetime. You can use other words, but after all of the handwaving abou...
Posted by Tom Butler in General Consciousness Science , 2020-02-05, 07:18 PM
 1,306     16
Post: RE: Humans are hardwired to dismiss facts that don...

letseat Wrote: (2020-02-03, 07:30 AM) -- How do you explain altruistic acts within animals such as the one mentioned in this article? https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/goodness-sake/201610/anim...
Posted by Tom Butler in General Consciousness Science , 2020-02-03, 06:21 PM
 1,306     16
Post: Humans are hardwired to dismiss facts that don’t f...

https://theconversation.com/humans-are-hardwired-to-dismiss… (https://theconversation.com/humans-are-hardwired-to-dismiss-facts-that-dont-fit-their-worldview-127168?fbclid=IwAR1idN9de_8q9HCg34PMJwS6...
Posted by Tom Butler in General Consciousness Science , 2020-02-01, 10:45 PM
 1,306     16
    Thread: A window into Guerrilla Skeptics of Wikipedia

Book burners through and through. They are typically not the sort of character that should be allowed around gentlefolk.
Posted by Tom Butler in Other Topics , 2020-02-01, 10:37 PM
 1,674     11

I do have issues with Hostgator but after being with a few others, years ago, I just don't have the energy to go migrating into the unknown. Billing has been a problem but is a little better. My main ...
Posted by Tom Butler in Forum Questions, Suggestions and Announcements , 2020-01-28, 06:21 PM
 1,751     15
    Thread: What is Panpsychism? | Rupert Sheldrake, Donald Hoffman, Phillip Goff, James Ladyman
Post: RE: What is Panpsychism? | Rupert Sheldrake, Donal...

I am uncomfortable saying what Sheldrake thinks, so this is Shelkdrake according to Tom. Panpsychism is the assumption that consciousness emerges from substance as a universal characteristic of mat...
Posted by Tom Butler in Philosophical Discussions , 2020-01-22, 06:07 PM
 553     3
    Thread: What is Panpsychism? | Rupert Sheldrake, Donald Hoffman, Phillip Goff, James Ladyman
Post: RE: What is Panpsychism? | Rupert Sheldrake, Donal...

I am interested to know what others think of these arguments. For me, a model for consciousness must address the mind-matter expression of intended order we find in Instrumental TransCommunication (IT...
Posted by Tom Butler in Philosophical Discussions , 2020-01-20, 03:15 AM
 553     3

I use Hostgator for three sites. It makes me crazy trying to keep up with how I am supposed to access Billing but the technical help has always been very good. (Never try using their messenger help. I...
Posted by Tom Butler in Forum Questions, Suggestions and Announcements , 2020-01-16, 02:34 AM
 1,751     15
    Thread: Galileo Commission Report … Revisited

Previous conversations about this report (https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-the-galileo-commission?highlight=galileo (https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-the-galileo-commission?highlight=galil...
 447     0
    Thread: SciAm: Beyond Physicalism

First "survival metaphysics." I began using the term in my writing after spending a lot of time trying to explain the dominant points of view represented in parapsychology. All parapsychologists study...
Posted by Tom Butler in Philosophical Discussions , 2020-01-02, 02:37 AM
 795     3
    Thread: SciAm: Beyond Physicalism

To paraphrase Hugh Hefner of Playboy fame, mainstream philosophers and survival metaphysicians are talking about the same concepts. One of them is very wrong. This paragraph from the article tells ...
Posted by Tom Butler in Philosophical Discussions , 2020-01-01, 10:21 PM
 795     3
    Thread: Beyond Panpsychism : the radicality of phenomenology
Post: RE: Beyond Panpsychism : the radicality of phenome...

I am not likely to be mistaken as a scholar, so it may not be reasonable for me to expect to see the sensibility in his first sentence: "Pure experience is beyond (or below) the level of being, and ha...
Posted by Tom Butler in Philosophical Discussions , 2019-11-30, 02:17 AM
 489     2
    Thread: Discussion sites versus social media

I maintain a discussion board for the ATransC (ghost town). As Facebook became popular, participation dropped to near zero. The last blowout we had amongst participants is one of the reasons we droppe...
Posted by Tom Butler in Other Topics , 2019-10-26, 02:56 AM
 1,305     13
    Thread: How Certain Are You That PSI Effects Are Real?

stephenw Wrote: (2019-10-21, 03:43 PM) -- Thanks for the thorough answer.  I find your assertions of what events happen - to be quite right.  On the other hand, I am driving toward the acceptance of ...
Posted by Tom Butler in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2019-10-21, 05:41 PM
 2,788     26
    Thread: How Certain Are You That PSI Effects Are Real?

stephenw Wrote: (2019-10-18, 06:26 PM) -- Propagation in a psi "field" is somewhat hard to defend, as the term field has a precise science set of definitions (as a force field) and associated rules f...
Posted by Tom Butler in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2019-10-19, 05:01 PM
 2,788     26